Updated interface

hanharr
hanharr
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Tell me, do you plan to work on updating the interface? What we see now on Windows sends us back in 2000 and it is very sad.

When I see the interface 1password for Mac OS X, it looks modern, I think Windows users would also like to get a modern interface.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 1.6
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @hanharr,

Thank you for your feedback!

The thing is that we are building 1Password 7 for Windows from the ground up. Its design is still work in progress and will be improved in future updates. It has come a long way from the first versions of 1Password 6 for Windows and we have no intention to stop.

If you have any specific suggestions or observations about the design of 1Password for Windows, please do share them with us. Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• hanharr
    hanharr
    Community Member

Thank you for the answer, @Greg

Admit when I learned that the new application is developed from scratch, the I immediately decided to to know. As I wrote, I want to see the updated menu for adding new items and the updated 1password mini. I'm not a designer and it's hard to show what I want to see. But, I will be glad to get acquainted with updates and to share the thoughts.

• Hi @hanharr,

You do not have to design or mock up anything, we just want to understand the context of what you want us update. You say an updated menu but it doesn't tell us what, icons is outdated or something else is missing. I've compared both on Windows and macOS and they're identical to me. However, if you're using a regular monitor or at 100%, the scaling on Windows made some of the icons look bad like the Secure Note one. We're trying to figure that out, it looks fine on a high-DPI monitor like the screenshots I have below:

Here's the shot from the macOS side:

And Windows:

Is there something specific that you want us to update beside the scaling issue of the icons? They look the same to me. Note that Windows and macOS have different way of rendering context menus, macOS is as usual prettier than Windows by default.

By the way, here's what the first 1Password 6 for Windows build looked like a little over a year ago:

We're a much smaller team on Windows but we're doing our best to catch up to the flagship macOS team.

• hanharr
    hanharr
    Community Member

May be you right but the context menu in telegram and Mail (UWP) apps looks good:

Fonts, icons look better. I'd love to see the elements of fluent design. I don't know if this is possible in UWP.

I understand that the main direction is to develop an application for Apple devices. But, I hope that Windows users will be able to get the best experience, at one point.

P.S. Have you thought to recycle 1password mini so:

It looks more interesting than it is now.

P.P.S. Sorry, some of my screenshots are in Russian. In some applications, it is not easy to change the language.

• Hi @hanharr, Thank you very much for the additional feedback.

I would LOVE to take advantage of the modern UI feel which you get with UWP apps and the fluent design system Microsoft are currently working on and releasing as they are.

However, 1Password for Windows is not a UWP app and while we always strive to adopt parts of UWP/Fluent UI, there are cases where it just is not possible or recommended for a WPF app like ours. We have in the past few releases incorporated fluent style background blurs but the performance of incorporating such an effect far outweighed the benefit and we removed it again.

We did for a while develop 1Password as a UWP app and the menus and ui details were a lot quicker to incorporate, but there were a number of blockers for us which meant 1Password could not continue as a UWP app and instead we have been able provide a much better app using the WPF platform instead.

Something I have been working on very hard with my design colleagues and developers from both our Windows and Apple teams, is to redesign 1Password to feel much more consistent across both Windows and macOS. You will notice when looking at our 1Password 7 betas, how much closer they are aligned to each other and this will continue to improve throughout 1Password 7 beta releases and in future with 1Password 7.x releases (and beyond). Yes, we did start off as a strongly Apple focused app, but this passion has grown and we believe in all platforms equally.

• hanharr
    hanharr
    Community Member

Hi @Doodler_Benji Thanks for your reply.

I just shared my observations and thoughts that I personally would like to see. I am very happy to hear that you have thoughts about the future of the interface and interaction with 1password for Windows. I will be looking forward to new beta versions. I confess, I use it as the main.

Tell me, do you have plans for UWP version in the future? Microsoft has great ambitions in this regard and would like to get this experience in the future.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @hanharr,

Tell me, do you have plans for UWP version in the future? Microsoft has great ambitions in this regard and would like to get this experience in the future.

Microsoft always have great ambitions but they struggle to maintain their focus and keeping the momentum going. As of this moment, UWP's momentum is....stalling to put it politely. With mobile platform completely dead, Holo Lens almost non-existent, Xbox apps seems to be small, and more UWP apps leaving the store, UWP becomes difficult for any developers to justify the expense of converting mature Win32 code-bases to UWP (keep in mind they still have to maintain two codebases, Windows 7 remains supported up to 2020 and has 40% of market share). I'm not even sure I understand what they're doing with Windows 10 S, Windows 10 on ARM, and so on.

We are hoping Microsoft will come out of this better or at least just allow any Win32 developers to use the UWP UI library without having to be forced to use Microsoft Store. Which allows developers to use one codebase with two separate UIs based on Windows version, old/legacy on Windows 7/8.1 and UWP on Windows 10.

They keep improving their Windows Desktop Bridge that allows for Win32 apps to be in the Microsoft Store, which could allow folks to evolve it into a pure UWP app in time but the said bridge has limitations that we can't work around for 1Password. This is why we're don't have a full desktop app in there but a small 1Password app that embeds the Microsoft Edge extension while communicating to our desktop program.

• johnnydel
    johnnydel
    Community Member

Great interface... works bright

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnnydel,

Thank you for the feedback! I am glad to hear you like it. :) We have lots of improvements in mind and they are coming to 1Password for Windows in the future.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.