Database corrupted | Dangerous to migrate database from 1Password 6

Options
theElvis
theElvis
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

i imported my old 1Password 6 database into 1Password 7 and noticed

• i didn't get all entries (only 1200 of 1500)
  • it somehow ignored updated items (and showed me old password entries for my items)

(unfortunately i cleaned up my old backups + again learned not to use beta versions - even if public)

1Password Version: 7 beta 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I think you're going to have to provide a little more information in order that people can help you. It's a little misleading to suggest that migration is "dangerous" because there are many people here (including me) who have done it without any problem at all.

Please tell us:

• Whether you're using the stand alone version of 1Password 7 or the subscription version.
    • If you're using the stand alone version, where your data was in 1Password 6 (e.g., local vault, Dropbox, iCloud).
    • Whether you still have 1Password 6 on your machine.
    • What macOS version you're running.
    • Whether there is anything common to the missing entries (e.g., where they in some separate vault?)

I'm sure with the additional information someone will be along to help you.

Stephen

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

misleading?? dear, i thought migration was okay (thats why i deleted old backups + 1password 6 - but it was with old passwords and incomplete - thats even more than dangerous!) :|

• stand alone version
    • local vault
    • deleted it
    • latest mac version 10.13.4
    • only one vault (same vault)

recovery of the database (very old backup) works flawless with the old 1password 6 but is incomplete and corrupted with 1password 7

Anyway i switched back to the stable 1password 6 + hope you fix this issue for 1password 7 (cannot invest more time in betas)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theElvis - I can't be certain, but it sounds very much as if you may have had copies of 1Password 6 for Mac from both us (AgileBits) and from the Mac App Store at some point in time. When 1Password 7 for Mac offered to import (migrate) your older version data, were you offered a choice of more than one option? Or was there only one?

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

thank you for your message

yes there was a time i had a 6 copy from Appstore & you
    I am not sure about the options, but i have choosen the backup to restore the database manually (and i have choosen the latest backup)

In the meantime i cleaned up my mac and backups (deleted version 6 + all files + backups)

After some days i realized that it was a corrupted migration and i tried to recover an old backup with version 6 + version 7 (both different results > 6 = correct and 7 = incomplete and with old passwords)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theElvis - what made me ask my question was that you mentioned old, outdated copies of records that you knew had been changed. That's not a symptom of a "corrupted migration," it's a symptom of using an older data source that hasn't been used in a while as the data to migrate.

I'm a little worried that you went back and deleted all your older data/backups, because it may limit what we're able to recover now, but I'm also a little unclear on where you stand with your data currently. Were you able to recover a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data, into either 1Password 6 for Mac OR the 1Password 7 for Mac beta? If not, we should probably continue this conversation further via email, since it might get quite involved and include details of your data/setup that shouldn't be on this public forum. Let us know!

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

thank you, i was able to recover an 2 month old backup with 1Password 6
    I will give the FINAL of 1Password 7 a new try (but i am a bit scared to touch the beta again with my data!)

One note: when i recovered a backup with 1Password 7 beta it looks like it simply quits (1Password 6 relaunches automatically)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theElvis - I'm glad to hear you were able to locate your data, and I understand about not wanting to risk any of it. And if you're satisfied with where things are now, and would prefer to leave it at that, we certainly can do so. But if you'd like to try to get back to the state you were in before you began the beta odyssey, feel free to write into support+forum@agilebits.com and we'll see what can be done at this point to try to help with that. If you choose to do that, make sure you include a link to this thread in your email, so we can "connect the dots."

This discussion has been closed.