Request: options to hide linked documents

twilsonco
twilsonco
Community Member

If a document was added to 1P as an attachment to another item using "Add New File", it's a reasonable assumption that the user wants to interact with that document primarily thought the item through which it was added.
There's also an issue with naming of linked documents: If I have a credit card, for example, and I want to add images of the card front/back, I might just add files called front.jpg and back.jpg, which then only make sense in the context of the credit card item itself, and are completely unrecognizable as standalone documents.

As a solution, I propose two options: an option to hide documents that are linked to other items, and an option to simply omit documents from "all items" similar to how you can exclude specific vaults from "all vaults".

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

I fully agree with @twilsonco, it's a good idea to have an option to hide documents linked to items.

• Thanks for the feedback folks. Documents do serve a slightly different purpose than attachments. We’re evaluating how to best address this, and appreciate the feedback. I don’t anticipate an immediate solution here, but perhaps after 7.0 ships we’ll have some time to give it the attention it deserves.

Ben

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member

FWIW,

I, too, am a little bit "uncomfortable" with the Documents-as-attachments showing up in just a list of documents. I see what you're trying to do but it's very confusing. I'd vote for attachments to stay attachments and have a documents section for when I want to upload a document that is standalone

• Thanks for the feedback, @steve28.

Ben

• jms1
    jms1
    Community Member

I have both a family account and a team account for work. My girlfriend and two co-workers have come to me over the past few weeks, asking why attachments are showing up as items, and all I can say is "that's how they designed it".

What I've been doing for "documents" (which I interpret as "arbitrary files which need to be stored securely") is creating a "Secure Note" item, and attaching the files (usually spreadsheets or PDF's) to that.

What might work is an item on the View menu which causes "documents which are attachments" to not appear in the lists of items, and/or maybe some kind of flag in the list for those items which have attachments.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What I've been doing for "documents" (which I interpret as "arbitrary files which need to be stored securely") is creating a "Secure Note" item, and attaching the files (usually spreadsheets or PDF's) to that.

@jms1: I'm curious as to why you'd do that. Then you have two items instead of one. Certainly sometimes it's useful to have other information associated with a file saved as a Document, but it isn't necessary when you just want to store a file. That's part of the reason Documents work the way they do: users don't need to create "dummy" Secure Notes just to save a file in 1Password.

What might work is an item on the View menu which causes "documents which are attachments" to not appear in the lists of items, and/or maybe some kind of flag in the list for those items which have attachments.

That's an interesting idea though. You can, however, always select another category to view instead of Documents and they will not be shown in that case. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 3x3cut0r
    3x3cut0r
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi
    i agree fully with the OP
    this post is from april 2018 ... are there any news on this?

EDIT:
    maybe wrong topic ... im using 1Password7 subscription

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @3x3cut0r! I'm not entirely sure what you're asking about: do you want the ability to hide documents? Something else? If you are using a 1password.com subscription, you will have the Documents category. If you are using standalone 1Password, it will be older-style direct attachments.

• 3x3cut0r
    3x3cut0r
    Community Member

Ok
    i want the ability to hide documents at all because documents only make sense in the context of an item in my opinion and should not be visible as standalone item. im talking here from 1Password subscription.
    the documents should only be visible in the item itself like in the standalone 1Password 6 i used before on macos.
    now i switched to the subscription and now i see all my documents as standalone items and in the items which their belongs to.
    on my iphone with 1Password7 ... i only see no document as items.
    why are you so inconsistent in this point?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's not inconsistent. All 1Password accounts use Documents, across the board.

It sounds like you want to be able to hide the entire Documents category. I'm not sure that's a good idea, because any time we've offered a "hide" option people use it, forget, and then think they've lost data. We need less features like that, not more. :tongue: You could put your Documents and any related items in a separate "Files" vault or something if you want, and then hide that vault. I know that's not exactly what you want, but we need to consider all of our users and unintended consequences of adding features where we can.

This discussion has been closed.