iOS: 1Browser not working in some sites; I shift to Chrome to successfully connect...

three-cushion
three-cushion
Community Member

"Your bookmark/favorite or your browser is not set to accept third-party cookies."

I get this error on some sites....they ask me to reset....how do you that in iOS?
in MacOS maybe I can reset...not in iOS

Also changing 1Browser to look like a different browser has no effect..
AND..until I upgrade to a new iPad..I'm stuck on Version 9.3.5..

my solutions? use Chrome...it Always works!

1Password Version: 6.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@three-cushion: Yeah, in general, use Chrome. 1Browser just isn't designed to be a full-featured browser. However, 3rd party cookies are not cool. That means they're trying to give you cookies for a website other than the one you're actually visiting. So you may want to use incognito mode in Chrome or private browsing in Safari...or reconsider whether you want to visit that site at all.

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanx for prompt reply. well.. the site in question is San Diego Gas &Electric!! sdge.com.
    that is a. professional org...why would they need to do this?
    I'll contact their tec support and see what's up...

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Just talked to sdge.com: their answer is...don't use Safari as they don't really support it well at all. Please use I.E.!
    Well...I objected and they will get back to me.
    BtW, I can use iOS version of Safari on sdge.com. IT works OK... using extension

So it's just 1browser that doesn't work?
    will 1Browser ever get better? it is very convenient to use ...other wise w/ iOS Safari must use the extension etc...

Apple should suck it up and replace Safari w/ Chrome...
    .it'll Never happen..

Jim B

• 1Browser is directly tied to Safari. It is just a call from 1Password to iOS to bring what is essentially Safari into 1Password. There really is only one browser on iOS.

Please use I.E.!

Sounds like they really need to upgrade their website. On newer versions of Windows even Microsoft hides Internet Explorer. :) If you install Windows 10 today you’ll get Edge, not IE.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@three-cushion: And I really can't stress this enough:

3rd party cookies are not cool. That means they're trying to give you cookies for a website other than the one you're actually visiting. So you may want to use incognito mode in Chrome or private browsing in Safari...or reconsider whether you want to visit that site at all.

A third alternative would be to bring it up with them. There are few, if any, legitimate (i.e. non-tracking/data harvesting/advertising) uses for 3rd party cookies, so as their customer you could voice a legitimate concern about this practice. This is like if you went to 1password.com to buy our software and we set cookies for some-advertising-site-you-never-went-to.com so they could know you visited us and try to market other software to you using ads around the web. Obviously that isn't something we do, and it begs the question why a utility company would need 3rd party cookies at all. I'm not saying that's what they're doing here, only that this is a common practice and one which you should be aware of. Maybe it isn't something they're aware of, and it's just sloppy design. Given that I have 3rd party cookies disabled in Safari here on my Mac and am not seeing a similar complaint from the site, I suspect there's more to the story.

BtW, I can use iOS version of Safari on sdge.com. IT works OK... using extension

That's good to hear, because Safari has good privacy protections by default. I think that the site may be misrepresenting the "3rd party cookies" warning, going back to my comments above.

So it's just 1browser that doesn't work?

I suspect it has something to do with them trying to save some information in the browser, which is why it doesn't work in 1Browser but does elsewhere.

will 1Browser ever get better? it is very convenient to use ...other wise w/ iOS Safari must use the extension etc...

We don't have plans to change 1Browser, and frankly we're limited in what we can do there, as we're just using Apple's frameworks, which give us access to a subset of Safari's capabilities.

Apple should suck it up and replace Safari w/ Chrome... .it'll Never happen..

I certainly hope not. While Chrome is basically Safari on iOS under the hood (apps cannot include their own web browser engine, so all browsers on iOS are Safari at their core), Google's focus is on their business, which is primarily advertising. Apple, on the other hand, puts a ton of privacy features into the Safari app. It's good to have competition in this space since it gives us all a number of powerful browsers to choose from, and so pushes companies to compete with each other for users by offering user-focused features, like Safari's privacy usability and Chrome's robust tab/incognito features. Everybody wins. Well, except Internet Explorer. :lol:

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member

Brent's: Great discussions! Thanx for you insight. I am following up w/ SDGE.com ...

BTW...here in SanDiego, the next MUG meeting (April 4) will be addressed by an Agile representative touting
    the advantages of 1Password! I'll be there..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Brent's: Great discussions! Thanx for you insight. I am following up w/ SDGE.com ...

@three-cushion: Sure thing! I'd be interested to hear what you find. :)

BTW...here in SanDiego, the next MUG meeting (April 4) will be addressed by an Agile representative touting the advantages of 1Password! I'll be there..

Ha! I actually didn't know that, but I can guess who. That's awesome. Give him a hug for me, or...just tell him I said "Hi!" :lol:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It was great to meet you yesterday, @three-cushion! :smile:

I’ll make sure @brenty doesn’t give you too much trouble. Or should that be the other way around? :lol:

This discussion has been closed.