1Password X unlock within popup

Options

When 1Password X is locked trying to fill a login form by clicking on the 1Password icon on the website it just prompts to unlock 1Password from the toolbar icon as seen above. This behavior is a little annoying.

Could you make it possible to unlock 1Password from within this popup? Or alternatively could you open the normal (Chrome) extension popup directly?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.6.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password x unlock

Comments

• dteare
    Options

Welcome to the forums, @FelschR! 👋 It's great that you could join us.

I agree with you, this is a bit annoying. We made this choice for good reasons, however. Since the inline menu you showed is running directly within the webpage itself, any website could create a fake window that looks identical to ours and attempt to steal your Master Password. By requiring users to open the main popup window we are doing something that no webpage is allowed to do. Webpages can only draw within themselves so they would never be able to recreate the look of the popup window as it's drawn on the toolbar.

I would love to show the popup window programmatically but this is simply not possible in Chrome at this time. You can see this Chromium bug for more details, but long story short the Chrome team has closed this as WontFix so I don't think we'll see this change any time soon. Interestingly enough Firefox has made this possible from what I understand so hopefully some healthy competition there will change their minds. 🙂

One thing that we've done to make this much easier is providing a keyboard shortcut to open the popup for you. By default this is CMD-Shift-X but I can see from your screenshot that yours is not set. Which browser and OS versions are you using? Also, do you have another app that's using that keyboard shortcut? That could explain why Chrome didn't set it automatically.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the answer and insightful explanation.
    I was already thinking the reason would be something like this. It's a shame that there Chrome has no API for this :/

Regarding your question:
    I'm using the latest Chrome on Windows 10.
    When I installed 1Password X I still had Enpass installed as well (which used Ctrl+/, though).
    Otherwise I'm not aware of any Chrome Extensions that might use the shortcut.

Does it usually show the shortcut in the popup?

• dteare
    Options

Thanks for the update, @FelschR.

Assuming Chrome accepts the predefined keyboard shortcut, the inline menu should look like this when locked:

Can you go to chrome://extensions/shortcuts and see what the keyboard shortcut is for 1Password? Then try setting it to Ctrl-Shift-X and see if it accepts that.

This discussion has been closed.