Is it possible to create custom templates?

operatorone
operatorone
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi there,

thank you for this great new release. I really love the UI. Very cool! What I still miss a lot is the possibility to create custom templates. For instance for an email account. Because I often use the same provider for my clients I have to fill out the complete form if I want to save an account and hand it over to my client. I know, you can duplicate existing entries, but it would be a whole easier an organized if I had a menu item where I can choose my own templates from.

Cheers,
operatorone

1Password Version: 7 Beta 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @operatorone! It's a neat idea, though I'm not sure how many people would make use of such a thing. Categories, in many ways, ARE sort of templates already, though I get what you meant by having something the user could populate most fields of and then save, so filling in only one or two fields could be accomplished much more quickly. As with all new features, we'll have to see what we think the interest level is and what the work required would be (weighed against other requests and ongoing development). But I'll certainly mention it to the dev team. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• operatorone
    operatorone
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

thanks for your reply. I think it's not a question about "how many people would make use of such a thing". Customers which make use of your great app every day and see 1Password as their main account management plattform will definetly use this feature and see the benefit.

Opening the category section for the users to create their own would expand the range of possibilities a lot. Imagine you could build a category with custom fields, a neat icon and may be some default values already filled out for nearly every purpose. Ready to use and the task is accomplished literally in seconds. May be also connected to a shortcut. So it's not only Shift+CMD+N for a new login, but Alt+CMD+1 for my first custom category or categories in general get custom shortcuts. I a mouse avoiding user, so I like my keyboard and shortcuts are a great way to achieve things in seconds.

Hope your dev team will see the chances in that too.

Cheers,
    operatorone

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@operatorone - Ah, I may have misunderstood you. I thought you were referring to having to frequently create a certain type of record from an already-existing category such as email account or whatever that has all but a few fields the same as numerous other records of the same type, and wanting a way to save a "template" of the filled-in data somewhere.

If you're referring to actual custom categories, that functionality already exists in 1Password Business, in beta:

• operatorone
    operatorone
    Community Member

Hi Lars, that's great news. Thanks for the tip. I'll try this.

• It may also be worth checking out this article on our blog:

Secure all the things in Secure Notes - AgileBits Blog

Ben

• taccz
    taccz
    Community Member

Hi, can you help me where I can find this feature? I don't see it anywhere.
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@taccz: As Lars mentioned above, custom templates are only available as a beta feature in 1Password Business.

• CBL
    CBL
    Community Member

Hey @brenty, would you have any plans to release it for 1Password regular and family subscriptions?

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member

When I think of templates, it would an existing category + additional fields, most likely not filled out. For example, for accounts where the registered email address is not the same as the login name, I add a field called "registered email" so that I know which email out of the many addresses that I own, to use for password recovery and other tasks. Since I create this field for every login, it would be nice to have a template where the field already exists.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CBL: No plans beyond the beta currently. We'd need to get it to the point where we're happy with it in order to consider taking it out of beta and rolling it out. It's unlikely that it would work with local vaults though, as the data format was not at all designed with this in mind.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@komrad: It's probably not going to be something we add to the standard templates, but custom fields are designed to give you that flexibility. I'm glad you're making good use of them. :)

This discussion has been closed.