Is it possible to share a password as "read only'?

Ramst3r
Ramst3r
Community Member
edited April 2018 in Families

Firstly, this request relates to 1Password for Families. For some reason the only category that I could select for this question was 1Password for Mac Beta ... Everything else greyed out. Anyway, back to the question ...

As far as I can determine, sharing anything seems to grant edit rights? Is that correct? I really don't want the party I am sharing with to inadvertently change or accidentally delete any of my passwords, at least without me knowing. I really want to be able to share items as read only.

The only work around that I can see to this issue is to keep a duplicate of anything shared in a private vault. That is going to be really cumbersome.

I really hope my understanding of 1Password for Families is incorrect as I thought there was going to be more sophisticated security permissions over just using vaults sync'd with dropbox.

Thanks.

1Password Version: v6.8.8 for Mac
_Extension Version: No Idea
_OS Version: MacOS v10.13.4
_Sync Type: 1Password.com
_Referrer
: forum-search:read only vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ramst3r: That's correct. I'm sorry for the confusion there. Everyone has access to the default family Shared vault. You can delete it if you wish, but it can be really useful because you don't have to manually add people to that. You can always keep only the things there that you want everyone to have unrestricted access to, and then create additional special-purpose vaults to share with one, all, or none of your loved ones, with the permissions you choose. And, perhaps helpful, remember that item history allows you to revert to a previous version of an item if a loved one — or you — makes a mistake. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.