Firefox 6 and 1 Password Master Password

I installed Firefox 6 and 1 Password ver 3.8.1 (build 31115) and I also updated Safari and 1 Password extension. Cannot open 1 Password in either browser because it ask me for my master password and I DID NOT install with a master password. I have never used a master password with 1 Password and I always check the box under Security in 1 Password preferences to "Never prompt for master password". I have to physically open 1 Password and copy the username and password over because will not auto fill. 1 Password will go out to the site but that is it.

Comments

• I too have installed Firefox 6 and updated the extension and have the same issues although I know my master password I find this update cumbersome and much prefer the drop down menu from previous versions.

My question however is this. I run MacKeeper on my Mac and while installing the extension update to Firefox 6 Mac Keeper detects a Virus. I chose to allow the extension install as suspect it to be normal however whenever I run a virus check it always shows up. Why is this? I'm not happy with this update!
  • Hi guys,

It is not possible to install 1Password without the master password, the master password is always mandated. You guys may have asked 1Password to store your master password in your OS X keychain, so that you don't have to enter it again. This is done by opening the main 1Password app and going to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Security.

To get the master password, open Keychain Access (found in /Application/Utilities) and search for “1Password Master Password”. Double click on this item and click the “show password” checkbox. OS X will prompt you for your login password before revealing the password to you.

You can then use this password to unlock the extension.

Right now, our new extensions for Safari, Firefox and Chrome does not support the ability to bypass the master password at first launch. The good news is that you can set 1Password to avoid asking you again by not locking again for the rest of the day.

As for the 'never prompt for master password', we might bring this back in a future update but I do not have a timeframe on this.

kimyogi wrote:
    My question however is this. I run MacKeeper on my Mac and while installing the extension update to Firefox 6 Mac Keeper detects a Virus. I chose to allow the extension install as suspect it to be normal however whenever I run a virus check it always shows up. Why is this? I'm not happy with this update!
    This is a false positive, this happens a lot of time when extensions use javascript-based crypto libraries like we do. We have notified MacKeeper about this and hopefully, they'll update their apps to avoid tagging this as an infection.
This discussion has been closed.