1Password mini not getting the keyboard focus

This discussion was created from comments split from: Suggestion: Click to unlock after typing password [Planned].

Comments

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

@brenty OMG... Jeez. Yeah, this was for the click to open thread for @MikeT
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/88184/suggestion-click-to-unlock-after-typing-password-planned

btw, he was having trouble reproducing it. I seem to have some partial success this morning by accident... might be page specific conditions, but if 1password is locked, refresh a sign in page, click the extension, and leave the cursor alone. Don't move the mouse. It hangs half over the pop-up and half over the browser. Mouse pointer is now a double-headed arrow (up/down). See where the focus is. Sometimes in 1Password, sometimes in the form, once in a while nowhere (esc does not close the 1Password dialog).

And then I can' reproduce it all of a sudden. Dunno.

Edit: And then I tried to reply to you....

It seems easier to reproduce here in the forum, not from the main sign on, but from the comment as button (not logged in, type a reply, and then it moves you to the login screen, where you get some JS on the page with the modal lightbox dialog that then turns into a whole page non lightbox dialog).

The attached screenshot is not my password, just reproducing it one more time before posting. So what I was typing I thought for the password field was going into the user id field. And two cursors

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Edit AllBookmarks.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious: No problem! Merged. Thanks so much for the link. For some reason I just could not find that discussion yesterday. :)

Thank you for sharing that! I think you may be on to something. Maybe something to do with the browser capturing the cursor due to filling. We'll see if we can reproduce it here.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty Kinda of keying off @MikeT saying they've never really been able to reproduce this (and sounded frustrated, lol).

Kinda easy now for me. Feels like some kind of race condition, but the mouse position seems important. A short video for you attached to an email (hope it goes through) to support. The last segment there is NO INPUT going anywhere. (17MB. Let me know if I need to share it alternate method and it gets blocked).

It does seem device specific. On the two machines where I was successful, the default size of the popup overlapped the chrome extension icon (or at least that seemed to be the variable in common). Tried three PCs, successful on two. That was all they really had in common. One Windows 10, one Windows 7. Default size popup, latest chrome.

• I've split this into its own thread, no need to merge with another thread that is talking about something else.

I've found your email with the video, we'll look at it and get back to you as soon as possible.

ref: CNW-87378-457

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

I do apologize that I came across as such, I didn't know it sounded like that. I do admit that I am somewhat upset because no one should be second-guessing how they unlock 1Password and it's been on our minds for more than a year.

Can you try reproducing this with Firefox and/or Edge? To me, watching the video tells me the problem may be the browser not returning the focus properly because you keep clicking on the refresh button that may cause the browser to focus the first open text field and have it stuck.

The reason I also mention this is because it is not supposed to be technically possible to have more than one mouse cursor, the OS doesn't permit this but if Chrome is misbehaving, it could explain the problem. I've seen a few bug reports in the past where browsers can steal focus and not return it properly.

It does seem device specific. On the two machines where I was successful, the default size of the popup overlapped the chrome extension icon (or at least that seemed to be the variable in common). Tried three PCs, successful on two. That was all they really had in common. One Windows 10, one Windows 7. Default size popup, latest chrome.

Sorry, can you explain what you mean by overlap? You mean 1Password mini hovered over the chrome toolbar with the icon instead of below it?

What kind of mouse/trackpad are you using on the two PCs showing this behavior? Do you use a custom mouse driver for them?

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

@miket I didn’t mean frustrated in a bad way I meant frustrating you wish you could fix it and make it go away sort of Way. Lol. Sorry if I came across as such.

By overlap, that’s exactly what I meant, the overlap. The popup covers the extension some. On the one where I could not get it to work, the 1Password extension was further to the left than the pop up. On the two where I could reproduce it, the popup was overlapping the extension button.

I’m glad I caught imagery of the two cursors.

As far as hitting refresh, it was for the video. It happens sometimes when you go to the page new.

I’ll give it a go on the other browsers as well. I use them infrequently, but will update once I play with it some (not likely this afternoon, likely tonight).

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

No worries, we're both trying to make 1Password better for everyone.

Just so you'd understand what's happening in the background;

1. Windows has several strict rules about what kind of process can pop up out of nowhere and steal focus. Imagine the chaos using your computer if every app steal focus randomly. What we do is send an emulated mouse click onto the 1Password mini window to focus it on top.
    2. 1Password extension has no UI or data. It sends a call to 1Password process running in the background and 1Password brings up its native UI on top when you ask for it.
    3. One of the rules is that you can't take focus when the user did some action in another window. When you click on 1Password icon, you're not clicking on 1Password mini, you're actually clicking on Chrome's toolbar, thus it owns the right to have focus. That's why we're forcing it with the mouse click again on 1Password mini.

As you can imagine, it's a complex process. I wish Windows has an API that permits the user to allow a process like 1Password mini to steal focus anytime but it doesn't as far as we know.

So, when you say it overlaps, I can imagine the mouse click sent to the 1Password mini's body rather than the top of 1Password mini, which may defocus the master password field but that wouldn't explain why you're able to type into the site's form........

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

Edge: Couldn't get it to do it
    Chrome: Got it to do it on both (Win7/10)
    Firefox: Got it to do it on both (Win7/10 dual blinking cursors as well. Felt harder to reproduce, but anecdotal )

Sucks I know, but if others have had this focus frustration, hope this helps narrow it down.

It def. doesn't happen every time. I do think it is page sensitive for some reason.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

If it doesn't happen in Edge at all, then it is not limited to 1Password. It's the same extension and 1Password mini across all browsers on Windows.

It def. doesn't happen every time. I do think it is page sensitive for some reason.

Do you recall if the said websites were the same in both browsers when you reproduce this?

This would imply the issue may be caused by the browser, they may be doing something unexpected. The problem is, in order for us or the browser vendors to narrow it down, it needs to be reproducible.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

lol.. yup. used the agile bits forum ( whole page login that you get with text in the comment field, not the modal one), tdbank, and dslreports.com.

https://onlinebanking.tdbank.com/#/authentication/login
    http://www.dslreports.com/login/64urlLw?dom=dslreports.com

I'll try some more in Edge and will update if it happens there. I did try again in Edge a little but and lt does do a non-focus? Or no-type? Cursor blinking in master password field but keyboard input is going dunno where.

• @AlwaysSortaCurious: I will freely admit to being frustrated with tracking down this issue. Like you said, I'd love to see it fixed, but reproducing it has been a struggle. One point of clarity here – you mentioned earlier this doesn't happen in Edge, but just now you said:

lt does do a non-focus? Or no-type? Cursor blinking in master password field but keyboard input is going dunno where.

Are you saying you are running into focus trouble with Edge? If so, is it different somehow from other browsers? You seemed to contradict yourself a bit there, so I wanted to make sure it's not my reading comprehension failing me here. Thanks! :chuffed:

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

@bundtkate I don't use edge often, so, with Chrome (my primary) I've seen it lots, and on occasion the no focus issue. With Firefox (really much less used) I was able to reproduce the Entry to the wrong field. With edge (really really never used) I was only able to get it to do non-focus typing nowhere. But really the ratio of use would be like this 99.5/0.04/0.01 Chrome/FF/Edge

It might be I just I haven't had enough bites at the apple.

You see that video I sent support? Maybe it might help you to reproduce? I really think it has to do with the location of where the cursor is and where the extension is when you initiate the extension. The mini is half off the extension icon, and the cursor is right there, sort of a half-click. As Mike mentioned, it should not be doing that. I know that you guys know its real, but the lack of additional user feedback into this thread does make me wonder if I am seeing things. One browser I had (dunno where that post is anymore), I was not able to reproduce the issue. The resolution was such that the extension icon was off to the left of the mini so there was no overlap.

Just my suspicion.

Two different PCs at least.

• @AlwaysSortaCurious: I did watch the video and actually spent some time clicking places I saw you click and moving my mouse around without luck. I even can get those two arrows for resizing mini to show up when I click the extension, yet focus remains fine for me. I was convinced I had this pegged once a while back and could reproduce it easily, but it only lasted a day before my mini started behaving nicely again. At this point, the best thing we can do is keep listening to y'all, try things no matter how crazy they might sound, and hope for a Eureka moment. While you may well be alone in this thread, you certainly aren't alone in seeing this issue. We definitely believe it's real and welcome any and all theories. I'm certainly willing to try anything, so any thoughts you have, feel free to keep 'em coming. :+1:

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

You got something that will take traces off my laptop?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't. That would be a bit invasive and a bit creepy. And ultimate the problem is that the reports we're getting of this vary greatly from one person's system to another. The only commonalities I've seen are Chrome, but then again at least one person (oh wait that was you!) experiences this in Firefox as well. This is something outside of 1Password, so it would be difficult for us to even recognize even with full access. And then it would be a needle in a haystack. But we'll keep at it. :(

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

lol... no problem and I don't think it's really creepy if I offer. I was thinking some tool that tracked active window, cursor location, focus, and that internals. Like if I can't trust you with that, why am I paying? And the DB never gets decrypted! The test only works before!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

lol... no problem and I don't think it's really creepy if I offer.

@AlwaysSortaCurious: Noooooooo totally cool of you to offer! But it would be creepy of us to be eager to accept. :lol:

I was thinking some tool that tracked active window, cursor location, focus, and that internals. Like if I can't trust you with that, why am I paying? And the DB never gets decrypted! The test only works before!

Yeah, I hear you. That's just not really possible. That kind of access to your system would allow us to do something evil (which we don't plan to), but also do something stupid with similar effects. We don't have any tools like that we built ourselves, so you'd not be trusting only us, but whomever made the software we're using. Ultimately if you given anyone access like that, you're just hoping they're as trustworthy and smart (in a good way) as you think they are, so it's not a position we want to put ourselves in. :blush:

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

@brenty, I did report FF as well for focus issues in mini, and the only issue I saw that case had was pending updates (for Windows). It stopped when I rebooted (to install them). I saw it once since, and, as usual, can't repro further. Still trying to get y'all some steps for that one!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leesweet: Ah, yes, thank you! I could not for the life of me remember exactly who. Don't kill yourself over this. We'll keep collecting information from helpful folks like you and poking away at it ourselves. Have a great weekend! :)

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

You also! Yep, this one is definitely an edge case!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately there have been enough people reporting something similar that I wouldn't be comfortable calling it that. But certainly it's been incredibly difficult to find a cause. :(

• Just adding to this... interesting nuance I never noticed before at the pluralsight.com login page ( https://app.pluralsight.com/id?redirectTo=%2Fid%2Fdashboard ). I had "double focus" between one of the login fields and the popup.

I just tabbed out of habit. And noticed that while 1Password Browser Popup (I was in Chrome, Windows 10) still had the blinking cursor, focus was moving all around the left-hand side (login, password, buttons, etc. UI elements).

Could have always been like that, but just never noticed before or maybe something about that site....

• @AlwaysSortaCurious: We've heard of that before to be sure. I don't see the same on pluaralsight, but funny enough, I've actually run into this outside of 1Password. I recently reformatted and was trying to sign into Steam. Cursor blinking in Steam, also blinking in Chrome's address bar with no 1Password involved. We're all very much convinced this is a thing and I'd imagine if we had a genuinely reliable way to track focus, active window, etc., as you mentioned, it would probably be problem solved, but alas, we don't. It should work as it stands, in theory, and we've made a lot of little tweaks to try to improve things over the years, but it keeps coming back. We may sound a bit defeated about it, but we do always welcome new findings. You never know what will be the final piece of the puzzle.

• No problem, interesting though. Yeah, was definitely just adding another data point. Can’t imagine the frustration... ooh

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Totally. Thank you! I really like Windows 10, but it seems like we haven't had reports of this on older versions. I may be misremembering though...

• Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

Stay tuned for the 1Password 7.3 beta 1 update, we made some adjustments and we've noticed a slight improvements in 1Password ability to focus its mini.

• Thanks... look forward to it..... Always enjoy testing the latest and greatest.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for participating! It's exciting for us to share the new stuff too. :)

• Hey guys,

Please give 1Password 7.3 beta 1 a try, it should improve on this or even addresses it completely.

This discussion has been closed.