Safari App Extension won't install

OAW
OAW
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

It's my understanding that the new Safari App Extension is supposed to install automatically. On my old laptop it did that as expected. But I'm setting up a new laptop and it's not working. I tried re-installing 1Password 7 from scratch in case it didn't like being copied over from a different machine. Even rebooted the machine. No dice. When Safari is running and I click on the 1Password menu bar app there is an option for Enable Safari Extension. But nothing happens when I click it. And there are no entries at all in the Extensions tab in Safari preferences. Please advise since the usability of 1Password is significantly diminished without a functioning extension.

1Password Version: Version 7 Beta 6
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: 10.13.4 (17E199)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @OAW,

Okay, that's a new one. Can you try the following for me please.

1. Move any copy of the 1Password application bundle to the Trash, both of the beta and of 1Password 6 if you have one kicking around.
    2. Restart your Mac.
    3. Download and install a fresh copy of the 1Password beta, this link will help with that. You need to install it into /Applications/ for the Safari extension to work.
    4. Launch Safari and check the Extensions tab in Safari's preferences for the presence of the new beta Safari extension.

Does this result in the extension correctly appearing?

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables That fixed it. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @OAW,

Excellent. I'm not sure what happened but at least we know what helped. Let us know if you find any other quirks in the betas :smile:

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

IIRC previously I could just copy the 1Password app from one machine to another. I was thinking 1Password 7 would automatically install the Safari App Extension upon first launch or by selecting **Enable Safari Extension **. But perhaps it’s required to run the installer? Once I did that everything was fine.

• GSon
    GSon
    Community Member

Hi!

For the record, I had the same problem. Or rather, each time I opened Safari, the extension had disappeared and I had to reinstall it.

I have followed the instructions above, and it seems that the extension now stays available after closing and reopening Safari - so far, at least.

Still, I really wonder what you mean when you say the extension installs automatically. Until now, I only have the experience of it uninstalling automatically.

Best wishes

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GSon,

So the old style extension, the one that works with 1Password 6 (and the approach still used for Firefox and Chromium based browser) requires the user manually install the extension and it is a completely separate entity from the native application. With Safari app extensions the extension is contained within the application bundle. I don't know the specifics with how we register it with Safari but as part of the registration Safari removes the old extension. The removal is part of an automated routine so if you install the old extension it will disappear at some point. The only way to remove the new extension and stop Safari from removing the older one is to remove the entire 1Password 7 application.

So a missing new extension means something went awry with the registration process, something that I expect should happen on each launch of 1Password 7. We're still figuring out some of the details given this is all quite new to 1Password.

• GSon
    GSon
    Community Member

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that today the extension has disappeared again. I tried installing the extension again, but it doesn't work, no doubt because it is adopted to Password 6. So it seems the only way to have the extension in Safari now is to reinstall Password 7 every day. That is a lot to demand. I fell like going back to Password 6.
    Best wishes

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Hi @GSon,

I have a request. I can't promise we'll discover the answer straight away but it's the first step in trying to understand what is happening. Here is what I would like you to do for me please.

1. Move the 1Password application bundle to the Trash.
    2. Restart your Mac.
    3. Download and install a fresh copy of 1Password 7, this link will link you to the current beta.
    4. Launch 1Password and unlock.
    5. Restart Safari if it is already running.
    6. Use Safari and 1Password as you normally would until the extension disappears.
    7. Create a diagnostic report and send it in to us. How to do so is below.

This link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. Please post that ID here so we can locate your email and see if we can understand what is happening.

ref: XLG-44939-164

• GSon
    GSon
    Community Member

Hi!
    I actually went through all the passes from 1 to 6 this morning before you suggested it, and I sent a diagnostics report using the special software for that purpose, but I suppose that is not relevant, since the extension is still there this evening. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
    Best wishes

• Thanks @GSon. I believe this occurs when a new beta is installed, so you may not see until we push out beta 7 tomorrow. Keep an eye on it and let us know.

• pnplibi
    pnplibi
    Community Member

my 1password safari extension failed a while ago and northing I do makes it work again. I am running v7.2.2 of 1Password. When I go to safari and download the 1Password extension it will not download. Safari extensions are enabled and 1Password worked up into a few weeks ago. In int Launchpad I see the 1Password icon but it says "waiting" and zero bytes are downloaded.

Ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

my 1password safari extension failed a while ago and northing I do makes it work again.

@pnplibi: Can you be more specific about this?

When I go to safari and download the 1Password extension it will not download. Safari extensions are enabled and 1Password worked up into a few weeks ago. In int Launchpad I see the 1Password icon but it says "waiting" and zero bytes are downloaded.

There is nothing to install. The old Safari extension will not work with 1Password for Mac 7.2 or higher anyway. It sounds like you may just need to drag 1Password to the Trash, restart your Mac, and install a fresh copy of the app:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Let me know how it goes!

• Frank Petrie
    Frank Petrie
    Community Member

Safari extension has gone missing. Just downloaded 1PW 7.3. Click on extension download for Safari and get nothing but a line going around in circles. I'm up the crick without this invaluable app. What's the remedy?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Frank Petrie: What do you see in Safari Preferences > Extensions?

• Frank Petrie
    Frank Petrie
    Community Member

Downie, DuckDuckGo, Evernote, Pocket. When I click on More Extensions it takes me to the AppStore. I click on the 1PW extension and then hilarity ensues.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Frank Petrie: If you're not seeing 1Password in Safari Preferences > Extension at all, Safari has failed to load it for some reason. The best thing to do would be to Quit Safari, Quit 1Password Completely (Command Option Control Q), drag 1Password to the Trash, restart your Mac, and install a fresh copy from here:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Then open Safari and make sure 1Password is present and enabled, and you should be golden. :)

• Frank Petrie
    Frank Petrie
    Community Member

That worked a treat! Thx brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Thanks for the update. Enjoy your weekend. We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.