1Password X on Safari

I’ve been playing with the beta, and really love it. I’ve also noticed that the 1Password X plugin for Chrome is light years better than the 1Password Mini safari plugin.

Are there any plans to create 1Password X for Safari?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @WolfSnap,

This is a great question. The answer is a bit complicated as the APIs that we rely on in Chrome (and Firefox and Edge) are quite a bit different than what's available in Safari. It should be technically possible to bring 1Password X to Safari but the effort involved is going to be considerably more than the other browsers. As such we're going to focus our efforts on there first.

So long story short: Yes. But not for a while. 🙂

• scidoc
    scidoc
    Community Member

Hi, let me add my vote for bringing 1Password X to Safari!

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

@WolfSnap Well, 1Password X for Chrome doesn't seem to work with TouchID on the Mac. Is that impossible, @dteare?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@odysseus: We are very passionate about adding the ability to unlock 1Password X with Touch ID as it is not impossible. There are some challenges to doing so, most of which we have already solved. I can't give a firm timeline on when we will see Touch ID support but stay tuned as 2019 is going to be the best year yet for 1Password X! 🎉

• McNumara
    McNumara
    Community Member

@odysseus Do we have an update on 1Password X for Safari?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing new to share. It's an entirely different environment compared to WebExtensions in Chrome and Firefox, and we've still got a lot of work to do in 1Password X there before we could move to trying to build something similar for Safari.

• Lee Fuhr
    Lee Fuhr
    Community Member

Not sure if it helps or changes anything, but count me in as very eager for 1PasswordX for Safari. As it stands now, I have two 1Passwords running at the same time, since I don't use Safari for everything, which is obviously a subpar user experience.

Thanks!

• @Lee Fuhr

Thanks for adding your voice to the group.

• mklcolvin
    mklcolvin
    Community Member

I'm with Lee Fuhr - I'd love to see 1PasswordX on Safari, and am now using both 1Password & 1PasswordX out of necessity. Would love to get back to using just one for everything.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@mklcolvin – Noted! Thanks for sharing. :)

• JustLogin
    JustLogin
    Community Member

Would love to see 1Password X for Safari, as it really drives me crazy that I must choose between my favorite browser and a full set of features provided by 1Password X (so far I'm choosing Safari, btw)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.