After months of use suddenly chrome says: 1Password extension (desktop app required)

annep541
annep541
Community Member

I just don't even know what this means. I have the desktop app. I can log in through the website. But Chrome browser extension just gives me the message above. I "reloaded it" and Was told it was successfully installed. Still get same message, help.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: 10.11.6 el capitan
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:After months of use suddenly chrome says: 1Password extension (desktop app required)

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@annep541 - it sounds as if you might have had Chrome update in the background. When this happens, the actual version number of Chrome is no longer the same as the one with which 1Password had performed authentication (to ensure it's not a malicious process). Please try restarting both Chrome AND 1Password (by Quitting 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)), or just restart your Mac and see if that works for you. Let us know how you get on!

• annep541
    annep541
    Community Member

Oh thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a try.

• annep541
    annep541
    Community Member

All good. Thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@annep541 - Great! Glad I was able to assist. :)

• x509v3
    x509v3
    Community Member

Same thing happened to me, but the only remedy was to restart the computer. All good after that, but am disappointed in how fragile Chrome-1Password has become in the last year or so. It feels like many times when Chrome updates, there is non-zero work for the user to keep 1Password connected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@x509v3: Though I wish you didn't run into any issues ever, I'm glad to hear that it's only been within the past year that you've had any trouble. This has, unfortunately, been a long standing issue with Chrome, since it invalidates its own code signature when updating until it is restarted completely. There just isn't anything we can do about that ourselves, but it is something we've been in contact with their team about. There isn't a simple solution, but hopefully someday it will be a thing of the past. In the mean time, I was pleased to see that Chrome is adding an indicator to its "hamburger" button to tell users when there is a pending update that needs to be completed, so that may help a bit by raising awareness. There have, however, also been some growing pains over the past year with Chrome (and Firefox) moving to WebExtensions and native Messaging for extensions, so as those kinks are ironed out, things should be more reliable in general going forward. Cheers! :)

• HokiEJP
    HokiEJP
    Community Member

This worked for me too! Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@HokiEJP - Awesome! Glad to hear it. :)

• pablo
    pablo
    Community Member

We'll have to wait and see. Same thing was in the Summer and only time (or somebody did something, somewhere) fixed it. Gladly I use Chrome very randomly - however this issue made the change to Safari anyhow. ;)

• Restarting Chrome completely (or restarting the computer) should resolve the issue.

Ben

• petermarcos
    petermarcos
    Community Member

Hey AgileBits Team, I'm having the same issue with Beta version, (7 v5) did as was recommended above but when I look at details in Chrome-tools- extensions I get "1Password beta (desktop app required)". it does work with Chrome shows my vault along with all my login, etc. Just curious as to why I get that dialog with extension. Beta works pretty well, a few bugs ie, remembering size I left app or locking with hot key, it will work once with hot key but after that no go, aside from that no real issues other than what I outlined above. with Chrome. Suggestions?
    I did go to your website and got the Beta extension v4.1.7.3.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@petermarcos - Thanks for reporting; glad you're enjoying 1Password 7 for Mac beta overall. the reason for the extended title for the extension has to do with the fact that we launched 1Password X last November, which is an app-less extension for Chrome only (at this point, Firefox coming soon) that connects directly to 1password.com servers if you have a 1Password account. If you're using standalone 1Password, you'll still need the app (obviously), but also the companion extension that works with the app to fill data in your browser. It was a way to differentiate the two, so that people looking for one wouldn't inadvertently wind up with the other.

• petermarcos
    petermarcos
    Community Member

Hey Lars, I have a subscription (not standalone) for 1Password and it was doing the same thing in v. 6.8.8, assumed it was just a bug with either app or extension not communicating with each other, although it work as directed with Chrome browser that I use. It only shows up in Developer Mode - details that it says it requires desktop app. Safari does not have any issues and 1Password beta 7 works great with Beta extension version. I can access all my vaults online with mobile phone and as well from desktop. I have run the gambit trying to isolate the issue to no avail. Chrome, love it or hate it...
    There is one more issue, last night when I tried to open app, pasted password but it wouldn't open when I tried to unlock it, did a quit and all was good, as I stated before as a beta it works pretty well.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@petermarcos - I think Google might take a pass on your offer to make their browser's slogan "Chrome - love it or hate it." ;) But I totally get what you mean. The "desktop app required" message shouldn't affect functionality, and if you're unable to connect to 1Password 7 for Mac beta, it may be due to Chrome auto-updating itself. You'll want to quit Chrome (and maybe 1Password for good measure) completely (for 1Password, that would be Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and then restarting both. That should restore the extension functionality, but if not, let us know.

• petermarcos
    petermarcos
    Community Member

Lars, well I tried Control/Option from both the app & menu bar, (menu says "quit 1Password completely") relaunched new 7.0. -BETA 6 version (just was notified of new update in middle of this post) same results; 1Password beta desktop app required. It still functions as it's supposed to and will (in menu bar) show all my items and login just fine. Not a big deal and really doesn't constitute any obstacles or work arounds. Ok so I'm a little OC with dialog details (1Password beta desktop app required) that are not accurate. Hopefully Google will at some point address it, although I'm not holding my breath. :p Have nothing but praise for AgileBits, app and tech support. Desktop and mobile, seamless.
    You guys are Awesome. :)
    Thanks Lars.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@petermarcos: Thanks for the kind words! I'm sorry for the confusion though. That's the name of the extension:

1Password extension (desktop app required)

That's the stable version of the desktop extension.

1Password beta (desktop app required)

That's the beta version of the desktop extension.

You can use either with the app. That won't change, and isn't a bug. This is just to indicate that you cannot use either of these without either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows, as these extensions integrate directly with the native apps.

To be clear, are you having any trouble using 1Password in Chrome? Please let me know if there's something I can help with!

• petermarcos
    petermarcos
    Community Member

No problem with Chrome as well as Safari & 1 Password works as I outlined in previous post!
    A quick followup question, I don't have a sync option in preferences, as I understand it's backed up on 1Passwords site, only the stand alone supports sync option in preference pane. So what I've been doing is exporting a data.1pif, , "which warns me it's not encrypted", creating a disk image, encrypting it and uploading to iCloud. Is there a more efficient way to backup a vault on iCloud that's encrypted? Every time I make new entry have to go thru same process outlined above. I have an annual active subscription. Not a stand alone. I do back up on multiple devices with CCC, not sure where local data base resides.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem with Chrome as well as Safari & 1 Password works as I outlined in previous post!

@petermarcos: Great! Thanks for confirming. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't leaving you hanging. :) :+1:

A quick followup question, I don't have a sync option in preferences, as I understand it's backed up on 1Passwords site, only the stand alone supports sync option in preference pane. So what I've been doing is exporting a data.1pif, , "which warns me it's not encrypted", creating a disk image, encrypting it and uploading to iCloud. Is there a more efficient way to backup a vault on iCloud that's encrypted? Every time I make new entry have to go thru same process outlined above. I have an annual active subscription. Not a stand alone. I do back up on multiple devices with CCC, not sure where local data base resides.

Thanks for asking. And I'm sorry that I have to answer your question with another question, but why are you doing that in the first place? Your 1Password.com membership includes redundant, automatic offside backup for everything you save in 1Password. So while it's good to have a CarbonCopyCloner backup of your Mac locally, if something happens to your Mac — fire, theft, etc. — there's a pretty good chance that won't be of any use to you either. In that case though, you'll still be able to sign into your 1Password.com account to access your data, even if all of the devices you'd been using before are lost, stolen, or destroyed. Let me know if that helps. :)

• petermarcos
    petermarcos
    Community Member

I thought it was a pretty straight forward inquiry. Having been a "Civil Servant" for many years, it's difficult to put my trust (in this case, sensitive data) in one place, yes I understand 1Password had redundant backups. Ultimately, I'll probably never need it. And no you didn't answer my question, it's okay though. Thanks, I appreciate your time brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@petermarcos: Thanks for clarifying. You could always export to an encrypted disk image for archival purposes. I appreciate the background. We'll see if we can offer more options in the future as well, but our priority is the automatic backup since that's something that can benefit — and can be used by — everyone. :)

• petermarcos
    petermarcos
    Community Member

Thanks again brenty, encrypted a.dmg and storing on iCloud not a big deal. Also no real issues with Beta7, some random items, most of which have been posted by other users, but I'm sure Team AgileBits will address most if not all. For a BETA v6, it works exceptionally well. Thanks again for time and expertise. Love the app and you guys are the best!! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@petermarcos - thanks for the kind words and the patience with the beta version, and let us know if you run into other issues! :)

• petermarcos
    petermarcos
    Community Member

Will do Lars, sometimes I don't think AgileBits support get the credit you all deserve, so** KUDOS** to all the Team. I think you all show extreme patience, sometimes "we users" can be difficult.. Thanks again to you, brenty and the AgileBits Team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your support! We love talking about this stuff (sometimes a little too much, if you look at some of our posts!) and are passionate about making 1Password better. I think that's something we can all get behind. :chuffed:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@petermarcos - I usually don't follow up if one of my colleagues has already answered in a thread but I'll make an exception here to say heartfelt thanks to you, Peter. :)

• jmol
    jmol
    Community Member

Restarted PC. Still getting this stupid message, can't use 1Password extension. Windows 10, Chrome.

For $60 a year I really shouldn't have to deal with this. AgileBits needs to come up with a hack that makes this process invisible to the user.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jmol: What message? This discussion is regarding 1Password for Mac, and some confusion over the fact that the desktop extension's actual name is "1Password (desktop app required)". It is not an error, if that's what you thought. If you're using Windows, it sounds like maybe you just need to update 1Password and/or Chrome. Please give that a try.

• ninthace
    ninthace
    Community Member

This has just happened to me and only on one of my widows machines. Restarting my PC does no clear it. Reinstalling 1 Password does not work. If I try installing the Chrome extension from the 1 Password Preferences menu takes me to a screen asking me for $2.99 a month.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ninthace - this is a section of the forum for issues with 1Password for Mac. If you need help in the future with a Windows copy, please post in the 1Password for Windows section of the forum. What version of 1Password for Windows are you using, what version of Windows, and what version of 1Password extension in Chrome?

• ninthace
    ninthace
    Community Member

Thanks Lars. Point taken. Unfortunately I am currently 12000 miles away from my laptop. I will get back to answer your questions when we are reunited.

This discussion has been closed.