Can I change the look of 1Password? Fonts, colors, themes, etc.

NickJupiter
NickJupiter
Community Member

The subject line says it. I would like to tinker with the look of 1Password. Is it possible for me to do that? Are there options for fonts, spacing, colors, themes, and so forth?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thelauffer
    Thelauffer
    Community Member

Hey @NickJupiter

Welcome to the forums. At this time I believe there's no way to tinker with the application layout, fonts, colors etc. You'd have to open the application package and modify the CSS file, which I highly and cannot stress enough not to do.

I would suggest leaving in this thread any UI and UX improvements you would do yourself and maybe the devs or support will read and move your suggestions forward to the product team.

Have a good one!

• @Thelauffer,

Not to mention, there aren't any CSS files.

Rudy

• Thelauffer
    Thelauffer
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Well that's even better then ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

;) :+1:

We're always open to suggestions, but our aim is to make 1Password a great looking app "out of the box" without individual users having to fiddle with things. Cheers! :)

• savorymaxwell
    savorymaxwell
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I appreciate the sentiment Brently, but the UI of 1Password, in regards to visuals, feels like a kids application. I say this for the following reasons:

• Animated lock when opening application and unlocking with Touch ID.

• The icon for selecting vaults is too colorful and the selected icon makes no sense. It doesn’t portray the purpose of clicking it.

• The Tabbed bar icons and the icons on the associated pages feel cartoon like and not crisp. Today’s design is headed towards monochromatic simple icons. I honestly don’t know how this application passed Apples Human Interface Guidelines.

• The text also feels too bold in many places which again gives a cartoon feel.

This is an application aimed at adults and those using password managers are usually businessmen, developers, and high powered individuals the look of this application does not reflect that.

No with that said the overall performance is stellar! So whomever is on the production team for performance has earned beer and cupcakes. The UX and UI team needs to re-examine their design choices!

• rwakeford
    rwakeford
    Community Member

Have a go at the Beta 7 that is out. A lot of subtle and good changes. Besides, we all have different likes and dislikes for how programmes should look and there's no way that the designers can cater to every individual whim, although we're all entitled to voice them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@savorymaxwell: I'm glad you like the performance, but I think we may have to agree to disagree that "kids" and "cartoon" are pejoratives, or that those design elements are somehow bad. But we'll see if we can make things clearer for you as we continue to refine the design over time. Thanks for all of your feedback! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rwakeford: It sounds like we may have come a bit closer to your personal tastes, but we will see if we can find ways to make it appeal to a broader range of users — without making it bland and un-fun. :)

This discussion has been closed.