Bug? PW Generator not copying to clipboard

kazooless
kazooless
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

In Chrome, using the browser plugin password generator, the "copy" button doesn't seem to be working. The previous clipboard item is still there. version 7.0.532

If I highlight it, right-click and choose copy it also doesn't work. going to another program to copy works fine. Running Windows 10 1709 using standalone vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kazooless,

Thanks for reporting this.

I'm not able to reproduce this in Chrome. You said going to another program to copy works fine, what do you mean exactly? If you go to NotePad, bring up 1Password mini (Control + Alt + ) to use its generator, it works fine to copy and paste it?

Do you have any security tools beside 1Password that could block the use of clipboard on certain sites?

• kazooless
    kazooless
    Community Member

My apologies for the late reply. What I mean by "another program" is literally any other program that allows "copy" will go ahead and copy the selected content to the clipboard. This includes the password generator in 1Password 4 (the program, not the plugin. I'm not running both plugins).

The 1Password mini password generator seems to bring up the same exact window, and no matter what password it generates, the CTRL-C or clicking the "copy" button does not work.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing on this PC that should be blocking a simple copy function. You're welcome to schedule a time to remote in and take a look if you'd like. That's part of why I'm participating in your beta.

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

Hi @kazooless,

Is it just the password generator in the 1Password mini? Any issues copying data within the main 1Password window?

What about right-clicking on an item in 1Password mini and copying its value?

• kazooless
    kazooless
    Community Member

I am only aware of one password generator. It seems it pops up in its own window from 1Password Mini in the system tray or from the Chrome add-in. It seems it is only this part of the program with the clipboard problem.

Copying from the main 1Password window works.
    Right clicking on an item in the system tray 1Pw mini and choosing copy password works.
    Right clicking on an item in the Chrome add-in and choosing copy password works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kazooless: Hmm. If Chrome is not running at all, are you able to copy the generated password then?

• kazooless
    kazooless
    Community Member

I'll check the out Monday and report back

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. Enjoy your weekend! :) :+1:

• kazooless
    kazooless
    Community Member

Sorry for the day delay; I ended up staying home yesterday.

Anyway, the answer is "no."

jeff

• stringent
    stringent
    Community Member

I have also tried, load up the generator in the Chrome extension, hit copy and then pasted into Notepad and nothing, even highlighted the text and ctrl+c and ctrl+v into notepad, nothing. Chrome build 65.0.3325.181

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi guys,

I've been trying to reproduce this in various situations but I can't make it happen.

Let's try a few things:

1. Open 1Password 7, unlock, and go to 1Password menu > Settings
    2. Select the Vaults tab, and on the bottom, look for Vault for Saving, is there a vault assigned? Try a different vault if you have one. This is important because when you click Copy in the Password Generator, it automatically saves a copy in the Passwords category of the said vault.
    3. Now, repeat the process but this time, after clicking copy, go back to the main 1Password 7, select the vault that is the default vault for saving and go to the Passwords category.
    4. In Passwords, sort it by creation date and look at the most recent item, is it the password you just generated when clicking Copy?
  • HalFtaN
    HalFtaN
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I'm having this issue, too. I think I got a clue, though. I'm using local vault (not the remote vault with 1p membership) and the password generator doesn't copy the generated password into clipboard, but ctrl-x (cut) do worked.

My guess is that the current version of 1P7 beta implemented a mechanism that saves the newly generated password into my vault ON COPY (thus not effecting cut operation) but failed to do so when it sees a local vault. @MikeT Please try reproducing this issue with a local vault created by the old 1Password 4 (opvault version).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HalFtaN: I really thought that was going to be it...but I'm still not able to reproduce it here. Besides the local vault thing (I expected that would clinch it, as I have one, but it is not set as the default vault for saving), what else is going on? Are you accessing 1Password mini in a particular browser?

• Hi @HalFtaN,

When I wrote my last post, I only had one local vault in the database and it was set as the default. That's why I wanted to ask in case that was it.

There's something else we're missing. Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report? Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• HalFtaN
    HalFtaN
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

@brenty @MikeT :
    I think I've found the cause. Here's the update:

With a fresh install of 1P7 beta windows from https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/03/20/introducing-1password-7-beta-for-windows/.

Set up with an existing vault in Dropbox, spawn up the password generator, everything's fine.

Click on '1Password' button in the upper-left corner -> Open vault on this PC -> select another vault -> spawn up the password generator -> copy -> nothing happens.

Here's what has happened when I open the second vault:

https://i.imgur.com/dg9fF8E.png

see, the default vault for saving is empty!

• HalFtaN
    HalFtaN
    Community Member

Please let me know if diagnostics report is still needed.

• Hi @HalFtaN,

We'll look into that issue but for now, once you set the default vault, is it still not working?

• HalFtaN
    HalFtaN
    Community Member

It works like a charm.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, awesome! That explains it. Thank you! :)

• HalFtaN
    HalFtaN
    Community Member

I'm glad I can help. Since I've stick with 1password 4 for nearly 5 years, I'm so excited hearing about the new version coming out! Looking forward to the release and I'll definitely buy it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's great! Thanks for your support, and for participating in the beta! :chuffed:

• ngaloppo
    ngaloppo
    Community Member

Confirmed. I have the same issue, and HalFtaN's fix works.

• I was able to reproduce the issue with the second standalone vault resetting the default vault to none and the Strong Password Generator not working correctly after that.

Thanks, @HalFtaN. We'll get them fixed.

• kazooless
    kazooless
    Community Member

I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply until now. I haven't even read all the latest comments. However, I went into the settings and the "vault for saving" was blank. I have 2 vaults. I set it to my main vault. Now it works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kazooless: No worries! Glad that did the trick. We're here if you need anything else. :)

• This has been fixed for the next beta update coming soon.

This discussion has been closed.