Does the subscription ever cap out and can you give me a link for the standalone version?

Hi there,

As per the title, I see that the subscription for 1password is $2.99 per month billed annually. Does this ever cap out? What i mean to say is, if i want to use 1password for the next 10 years (which i do, it's a great app!) does that mean that it will have cost me $360 to use the app? That seems very expensive when i can just buy the standalone version for around $50?

Can you clarify this please.

That leads me to my 2nd question; can you please provide a link where i can just buy the standalone version as i cant find it anywhere on your site.

Many thanks for your help and reply,

hardtofin

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

Well, yes, about the cost.

But in ten years you would expect many major upgrades, each of which would have to be paid for.

And the subscription covers all platforms (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android).

And, though AgileBits try to make things fully compatible, some features may require their servers and so only become available on the subscription.

Still, the standalone does work and can be used as long as your OS supports it.

• great, thanks for the info. how do i access the standalone version then? When i go to "pricing" i only see the subscription model.

many thanks.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@hardtofin: The apps are the same. There is no "standalone version" and "subscription version". It's just a matter of how you pay, and which features are available based on the capabilities. Some require hosting and some don't, for example. You may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. But you're free to download the app and use it with a local vault instead. You'll be prompted to purchase a license as needed. But, as danco mentioned, it's very unlikely that you'd be able to use whatever you purchase today in 10 years — either software or hardware; and I'll add that, because of the ever-changing security landscape, it would be a bad idea to even try. So a 1Password.com membership ensures that you always get the latest for all of your devices. Either way, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Mileage varies between users and use cases, but in my case, I use it on a Mac Laptop, Desktop at Work, Desktop at Home, Kids Windows Laptop, My personal Windows laptop, the Windows Work Laptop, my iPad, my personal Android phone, my work iphone. Browser-based access as well if needed. And while I work in IT, I don't need to deal with syncing this. I always have the latest features and fixes and improving usability and security. I have enough other things to do and worry about so I appreciate the ease of use.

So, I am OK with the sub model. So lile $3.60/yr for me.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited April 2018

Yeah, I found that, even as a longtime Dropbox local vault sync guy it quickly spoiled me. I do not miss setting up multiple vaults individually across multiple devices! :scream:

And my family — and I — like that they don't have any trouble setting up new devices themselves too. :lol:

• There is no "standalone version" and "subscription version". It's just a matter of how you pay,

Does this mean that if someone would purchase the subscription he/she could just ignore the cloud based storage of their encrypted passwords and use local storage and sync instead?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@RAPWare: Perhaps, but it isn't something we recommend since it's not designed to be used that way; but, perhaps more importantly, it means eschewing many of the benefits of 1Password.com memberships — including the (128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key. So I would have to ask "Why?" :)

• Why

I don't want to store my (encrypted) data on cloud servers. There are too many ways the data and metadata on your cloud servers could be abused (hacking the passwords blobs is at the bottom of my list of risks).

Perhaps

My current understanding is that a family of 5 with 2 iMacs en 3 MacBooks, all running Windows on a VM would have to pay USD 60,- annually if they don't mind you having all their encrypted data and metadata and they probably would have to pay somewhere between USD 400 and USD 600 if they would like to keep their enrypted data and metadata private.

I'd say that is a big difference for not handing their data over to you....

• they make it impossible to buy a stand alone license. it used to be you could buy it here: https://agilebits.com/store/ now that just redirects to their 1password.com sign up page.

maybe a different pw manager is for you

• they make it impossible to buy a stand alone license.

I just bought a stand alone license for 1Password 7 for MacOS and from what I've understand so far I will be able to purchase a stand alone license for 1Password 7 as well (once it's released). I will purchase another set of licenses for my SO as soon as the versions are out of beta. It's definetely a shame that they make it very hard (and insanely expensive compare to the subscription model) to purchase stand alone licenses.

maybe a different pw manager is for you

I really like 1Password. It works well and looks great. I did look at Enpass and I have registered myself for the Enpass 6 beta as they promise to offer the same features as 1Password (multiple vaults, WLAN sync, password sharing, etc only with local storage), however, I do prefer to stick with 1Password.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

they make it impossible to buy a stand alone license.

@squashedpotato: Indeed, a lot of people are buying them recently. They're already available to 1Password for Mac beta testers, and that will be the case for 1Password for Windows in a future beta update as well.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I don't want to store my (encrypted) data on cloud servers. There are too many ways the data and metadata on your cloud servers could be abused (hacking the passwords blobs is at the bottom of my list of risks).

@RAPWare: That's generally a good philosophy, but it doesn't apply here. Let's be real about the risks: an attacker who successfully breaks into the server could get the encrypted database, but they won't be able to make use of it without your Master Password and Secret Key, so they would still need to attack you directly to get those. They are never transmitted to us. Period. :)

My current understanding is that a family of 5 with 2 iMacs en 3 MacBooks, all running Windows on a VM would have to pay USD 60,- annually if they don't mind you having all their encrypted data and metadata and they probably would have to pay somewhere between USD 400 and USD 600 if they would like to keep their enrypted data and metadata private. I'd say that is a big difference for not handing their data over to you....

Actually not, because no one is "handing their data over" to us. That's fundamental to 1Password's design. Definitely check out the security white paper. :sunglasses:

I just bought a stand alone license for 1Password 7 for MacOS and from what I've understand so far I will be able to purchase a stand alone license for 1Password 7 as well (once it's released).

Thanks for your support! For Windows, you mean? That's also going to be available during the beta period, just not yet.

I will purchase another set of licenses for my SO as soon as the versions are out of beta. It's definetely a shame that they make it very hard (and insanely expensive compare to the subscription model) to purchase stand alone licenses.

Why is it expensive? It's a one-time payment, and you still get support and all of the point updates. I think a 1Password.com membership is still a better value because you simply get a lot more, but most people say the exact opposite, that the membership seems more expensive. But you get what you pay for. Neither option is perfect for everyone, so you pick the one that makes the most sense for you. Hopefully your loved ones get a say in it for themselves too though. :tongue:

I really like 1Password. It works well and looks great. I did look at Enpass and I have registered myself for the Enpass 6 beta as they promise to offer the same features as 1Password (multiple vaults, WLAN sync, password sharing, etc only with local storage), however, I do prefer to stick with 1Password.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad that you enjoy 1Password, and I suspect you'll find more and more reasons to as we improve it even more. Cheers! :)

• That's generally a good philosophy, but it doesn't apply here. Let's be real about the risks

A hacker deletes all data, a hacker gets access to the metadata and gets the IP addresses of all your customers (which they can target directly), a hacker looks at the metadata to see which of your customers have an account at Ashley Madison so then can blackmail them, A hacker manages to hack your update system so a faulty version of your software is distributed (CCleaner/Petya), the USA uses the Cloud Act to get information about your data to see who has a logon for a specific targeted website, one of your developers is not happy with your policy and decides to mess up the system, etc, etc, etc,

Bottomline.. I think you guys are great and I really do think you try to keep things a safe as possible, I even believe you can do a better job of keeping things safe then me, but I still don't trust you and the rest of the world enough to store my data with you.

Why is it expensive?

It's about 10 times as expensive for a 5 person family with 2 licenses each. As I "only" need 4 licenses (and will probaby downgrade to 3 licenses) the cost is "only" 3 or 4 times as expensive (which is still a lot).

It's a one-time payment,

That is not true. I want to keep up to date, so I will have to purchase the upgrade when you decide to release a new version. The update period may be a bit longer, but I doubht it will be 3 - 10 times longer.

• @RAPWare: I think you're underestimating the degree to which AgileBits cares about and protects your data. You mentioned a number of potential privacy breaches that simply aren't possible given how they focus on "privacy by design." That is, they simply don't even have the data that you're worried could be exposed. Take a look at their support page about privacy to get a feel for it:

https://support.1password.com/1password-privacy/

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

@RAPWare I think some of what you describe as potential threats either aren't real threats or apply just as much to the stand-alone version.

As I understand it, metadata is also encrypted, which eliminates some of your threats. That used not to be true, but I think it has held for some time.

And if a hacker compromised the update system, then the stand-alone version is equally compromised.

• RAPWareRAPWare
    edited April 2018

I think you're underestimating the degree to which AgileBits cares about and protects your data.

No I don't. I just have a rule of thumb not to store any data at any cloud provider ever.
    I don't see why 1Password feels the need to gently nudge me to their cloud server when I don't want to. Why would they not allow me to purchase a subscription and let me store my files where I want to store them. It's not that the application doesn't contain this option.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I think you're underestimating the degree to which AgileBits cares about and protects your data.

No I don't. I just have a rule of thumb not to store any data at any cloud provider ever.

@RAPWare: That you impose that rule on yourself is totally fine. I'm not the boss of you. But I hope you'll appreciate that personal preference doesn't change the facts. That's what I'm addressing. "I don't want that" does not make the other arguments valid. You don't have to make those at all. It's totally your call regardless.

I don't see why 1Password feels the need to gently nudge me to their cloud server when I don't want to.

To be completely clear, you are not the sole participant of this discussion, much less this discussion forum, so when you say something questionable, I don't think it is actually beneficial to just smile and nod. I don't mean that at all flippantly; it's something we have to take into consideration.

Why would they not allow me to purchase a subscription and let me store my files where I want to store them. It's not that the application doesn't contain this option.

I already told you that's possible. ;)

There are a lot of weird things you can do with 1Password. Some people use it for storing recipes or details about car collections (not kidding, and not judging). I just want to be clear that while you're free to do that, it isn't something we're going to design around. That's all. :)

Bottomline.. I think you guys are great and I really do think you try to keep things a safe as possible, I even believe you can do a better job of keeping things safe then me, but I still don't trust you and the rest of the world enough to store my data with you.

That's very kind of you, especially under the circumstances. And we can relate. We have even higher expectations of ourselves with regard to security and privacy (and perhaps paranoia). That's why we're so obsessive about not having sensitive information in the first place. We don't trust the rest of the world (or our hypothetical future Evil Twins) either. It's the only way we can sleep ever. :lol:

• @squashedpotato: Indeed, a lot of people are buying them recently. They're already available to 1Password for Mac beta testers, and that will be the case for 1Password for Windows in a future beta update as well.

@brenty, i still couldn't find the link for how to purchase a stand alone license. and while i'm asking how do you purchase a family subscription through apple? sorry to hijack this thread but no one has responded to my question in the thread I made

• RAPWareRAPWare
    edited April 2018

That you impose that rule on yourself is totally fine. I'm not the boss of you. But I hope you'll appreciate that personal preference doesn't change the facts.

The thing is that I don't agree with what you call a fact. You tell me that the service you offer is unhackable (or at least that it won't be hacked until the universe dies of a heat death) and that my encrypted data and metadata are absolutely safe with you and that none of the data, nor metadata can ever be used in a way that I would not agree with.

I just don't buy that. Past experiences have thought me that everything can be hacked and that even encryption protocols which were once uncrackable can be cracked using newly discovered weaknesses. I've also learned (the hard way) not to underestimate the human factor. Even though technically something can appear to be unbrakeable.. it's still possible that a developer unintentionally (or even intentionally) creates the smallest bug that can cause a weak link.

Because of this I indeed do not want to store my data on a cloud server. This is indeed my choice.

I don't see why 1Password feels the need to gently nudge me to their cloud server when I don't want to.

To be completely clear, you are not the sole participant of this discussion, much less this discussion forum, so when you say something questionable, I don't think it is actually beneficial to just smile and nod. I don't mean that at all flippantly; it's something we have to take into consideration.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't fully understand your reply (English is not my native language) or maybe my question was not understood correctly by you..

Let me rephrase it..
    Based on what I've read in this forum I was under the impression that using local vaults was only possible when purchasing stand alone licenses. The way I understood it was that local vaults were not supported when purchasing a family subscription. This plus the fact that your order page no longer contain links to purchase stand alone licenses and the fact that in almost every post by a 1Password member people are steered towards the subscription model gave me the impression that you are steering people to the subscription/cloud based model.

Why would they not allow me to purchase a subscription and let me store my files where I want to store them. It's not that the application doesn't contain this option.

I already told you that's possible. ;)

You told me "Perhaps". I interpreted that as no.
    I'm glad to hear that I will be able to use local vaults when purchasing a family subscription.
    The fact that I will be able to read my locally stored passwords, even after I end my subscription, does take away a big issue I usually have with subscription models.

There are a lot of weird things you can do with 1Password. Some people use it for storing recipes or details about car collections (not kidding, and not judging).

I am one of those weirdos.....

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@squashedpotato: In my last reply I linked you to the blog post about the 1Password for mac beta, which is where you can buy a license:

1Password 7 Beta for Mac

We're not selling them for the old version, only the new one obviously. :)

• @squashedpotato: I couldn't find the link on that page either. I just downloaded and installed the beta and clicked on the purchase link within the app to purchase the license.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited April 2018

The thing is that I don't agree with what you call a fact. You tell me that the service you offer is unhackable (or at least that it won't be hacked until the universe dies of a heat death) and that my encrypted data and metadata are absolutely safe with you and that none of the data, nor metadata can ever be used in a way that I would not agree with.

@RAPWare: See, that's the thing. I didn't say that. We're not talking about a hack. That would mean someone breaks into the server and steals the database. What I'm telling you is that even if that happens they still can't get the "keys" needed to decrypt user data. We simply don't have them. That's the fact I'm referring to. It's provable, and has been borne out in security audits and hacking attempts by professionals.

I just don't buy that. Past experiences have thought me that everything can be hacked and that even encryption protocols which were once uncrackable can be cracked using newly discovered weaknesses.

Sure. But again, that won't conjure everyone's Secret Keys and Master Passwords.

I've also learned (the hard way) not to underestimate the human factor. Even though technically something can appear to be unbrakeable.. it's still possible that a developer unintentionally (or even intentionally) creates the smallest bug that can cause a weak link.

Agreed 100%. That's why we don't have this stuff. If we did, we'd be terrified.

Because of this I indeed do not want to store my data on a cloud server. This is indeed my choice.

Yep! :)

Based on what I've read in this forum I was under the impression that using local vaults was only possible when purchasing stand alone licenses. The way I understood it was that local vaults were not supported when purchasing a family subscription. This plus the fact that your order page no longer contain links to purchase stand alone licenses and the fact that in almost every post by a 1Password member people are steered towards the subscription model gave me the impression that you are steering people to the subscription/cloud based model.

I'm really sorry for the confusion there. In fact, I use a local vault with my accounts on some of my own devices. So it's definitely a thing. However, 1Password.com-only is the recommended path, so that's what we feature. After all, the reason that 1Password.com even exists is from years of people having confusion and trouble with sync configuration and reliability. Certainly when it works it's great, but with 3rd party services (or people's home networks...) when something breaks we have no real control over that and couldn't really fix it for them. With 1Password.com, if it breaks, we can fix it; and for users, there's practically no setup required. So yeah, we definitely steer people toward that because it's overwhelmingly what was requested and what most people expect. But if you're nuts like me, you can totally use local vaults. I apologize if that was unclear, as it was probably my fault for glossing that over, either in this discussion or others.

Sorry about that. It's more like "Please don't, but if you do, understand that you do so at your own risk". Again, many people will view this discussion, so I don't want to be inadvertently recommending that to everyone. ;)

It also depends on the situation. Not all versions are as accommodating, but if you want to discuss specifics start a new discussion and @-mention me. :)

I'm glad to hear that I will be able to use local vaults when purchasing a family subscription.

The fact that I will be able to read my locally stored passwords, even after I end my subscription, does take away a big issue I usually have with subscription models.

Good to hear! And, again, I'm sorry for causing some confusion.

There are a lot of weird things you can do with 1Password. Some people use it for storing recipes or details about car collections (not kidding, and not judging).

I am one of those weirdos.....

Me too. ;)

• The thing is that I don't agree with what you call a fact. You tell me that the service you offer is unhackable (or at least that it won't be hacked until the universe dies of a heat death) and that my encrypted data and metadata are absolutely safe with you and that none of the data, nor metadata can ever be used in a way that I would not agree with.

@RAPWare: See, that's the thing. I didn't say that. We're not talking about a hack. That would mean someone breaks into the server and steals the database. What I'm telling you is that even if that happens they still can't get the "keys" needed to decrypt user data. We simply don't have them. That's the fact I'm referring to. It's provable, and has been borne out in security audits and hacking attempts by professionals.

I think we have different ideas of what constitutes a "Hack".
    A hack is not just someone stealing your database (or actually your customers databases). From all the possible hacks I'm the least worried about that one (because of how you encryption scheme works).

Sorry about that. It's more like "Please don't, but if you do, understand that you do so at your own risk". Again, many people will view this discussion, so I don't want to be inadvertently recommending that to everyone. ;)

It also depends on the situation. Not all versions are as accommodating, but if you want to discuss specifics start a new discussion and @-mention me. :)

Can you elaborate what you mean with "Not all versions are as accommodating"?

• It also depends on the situation. Not all versions are as accommodating, but if you want to discuss specifics start a new discussion and @-mention me.

I created a new topic here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/88703/

• @squashedpotato: I couldn't find the link on that page either. I just downloaded and installed the beta and clicked on the purchase link within the app to purchase the license.

@RAPWare thanks it's not very intuitive!

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited April 2018
  • brentybrenty

Team Member

@squashedpotato: Yep! As the blog post mentions, it's available to beta testers, so it's offered right within the app. Cheers! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file