Which versions of 1Password support the creation and usage of local password vaults?

RAPWareRAPWare
edited April 2018 in Purchasing

I'm thinking about upgrading my current family plan to the new 1Password Families, however as I don't want to store my passwords on a 1Password server I would like to keep using my current local vaults and sync them myself from Windows to OSX to Android to iOS (this has been working flawlessly for me for the past 6 years).

@brenty mentioned in another post (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/423558#Comment_423558) that not all versions are as "accommodating" in supporting this.

What does that mean? Can or can't I keep using my local vaults when I purchase a 1Passwords Families subscription?

Before trying to convince me to start using online vaults please read my comments in topic https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/423558.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@RAPWare: Thanks! Previously this was much more complicated, since, as you know, 1Password for Windows version 4 does not work with 1Password.com accounts, only local vaults. But with version 7 imminent across all platforms (already out for iOS though), things become a bit simpler. If you'd like to use local vaults with a 1Password Families membership, these are the caveats:

• You will need to be signed into the account on each device in order for it to unlock all the features.
    • If you're using 1Password for Android, local vaults cannot currently be created on that device, and it only works with a single (Primary) local vault.
    • Dropbox is recommended, as that will work with OPVault across all platforms currently.

Again, not something I'd generally recommend, but if you're planning on using a single local vault you should have no trouble doing that across all platforms. Let me know if you have any other questions as they relate to your setup. :)

• You will need to be signed into the account on each device in order for it to unlock all the features.

Ok, that is not a problem.

If you're using 1Password for Android, local vaults cannot currently be created on that device, and it only works with a single (Primary) local vault.

Not a problem either. Does the iOS version support multiple local vaults (I currently use that on my iPad)?

Dropbox is recommended, as that will work with OPVault across all platforms currently.

This probably won't surprise you, but I don't have a Dropbox account (nor any other cloud storage account). Is it possible to still use the WLAN sync from both iOS and Android to my 1Password 7 client for MacOS?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Ok, that is not a problem.

@RAPWare: :):+1:

Not a problem either. Does the iOS version support multiple local vaults (I currently use that on my iPad)?

Yes it does.

This probably won't surprise you, but I don't have a Dropbox account (nor any other cloud storage account). Is it possible to still use the WLAN sync from both iOS and Android to my 1Password 7 client for MacOS?

No surprise, but I also didn't know for certain, so I didn't want to assume. Yes, you'll be able to sync via WLAN Server between the Mac and the mobile devices. You'd have to get the data to Windows another way though.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other followup questions. :)

• You'd have to get the data to Windows another way though.

I use folder sync to sync data between MacOS and Windows. So far that has been working flawlessly too.

Thank you for this info.
    I'll take a look at the Family subscription.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

That sounds good. And likewise, thanks for asking! We're here if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file