third login field not automatically filling

Hi there,
I already searched the archives and tried many of the proposed solutions, but none worked for me...
I have trouble automatically filling the three fields on this website: https://citrix.viessmann.com/vpn/index.html

Thanks for your support, probably a piece of cake for you ;-)
Best regards
Lukas

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@S3S4M3: Thanks for reaching out. I have to say, I can't even get that site to load here. If you save the login manually in the browser, does that get you all of the fields under "show web form details"? It's hard to know what to suggest without being able to access it.

• S3S4M3
    S3S4M3
    Community Member

That's weird, I just tried it on a browser I've never used to login and it showed up, did you keep the httpS:// ?
    When I do as you say I get to see a lot of cryptic field titles as seen in the attachment

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@S3S4M3: Aha. Yeah, I literally just followed the link you sent. It spent a long time appearing like it was loading but never actually finished. However, today it finally did. Not sure what's up with that, but I call it a win. :)

Nevertheless, it looks like we've hit another snag here, based on your screenshot. I was about to mention that I didn't have any trouble saving and filling a login using 1Password here...but I now understand why it isn't working for you.

If you look at those field names, I think you can guess: they're random. So when I saved the login manually just now and then cleared the form, 1Password could fill there correctly because the field names are still the same. But after reloading the page (or, returning to it later, in your case), none of the field names will match, so 1Password has no way of knowing what goes where. If you compare different logins you've saved there already, or save another new one, you'll see that they don't match. There just isn't anything we can do about that. 1Password actually has a filling strategy that can work in cases like this, just by trying to find a password field to fill and then fill the username in the previous field, but that won't work here because there are two password fields. Which password goes where? 1Password has no way of knowing. And this website actually seems to be going out of its way to be a jerk, with fake fields with names like "dummy_username" and "dummy_pass2". Not cool. That's the bad news.

The good news is that 1Password does seem to be smart enough to handle this particular site now. The "meh" news is that this may be due to changes we've made in 1Password 7, currently in beta, so let me know if you'd be willing to try that. But the other bad news is that I have little hope that it will continue to work in the future, if this site's developer is hellbent on preventing you from using a password manager there.

But jumping back a bit, did you try my earlier suggestion to manually save a new login at the site? In many cases that will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosubmit disabled

Again, it may be necessary to do that with 1Password 7 instead, but that's a quick way you can verify. And even if it doesn't work for you in this extreme case, it is very handy in others. Let me know how it goes. :)

• S3S4M3
    S3S4M3
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you very much for your detailed description. Guess I will copy and paste it manually then, everything else is probably not worth the effort. Thanks again - awesome support agilebits!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@S3S4M3: Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad that will work for you for now, but if and when you upgrade to 1Password 7 it's definitely worth a try following my suggestion above. For me at least it does appear to work with the current beta. And we're here if you have any other questions at all. Have a great weekend!

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

I have a similar website which seems to append tmp_variables in front of field names that contain static values

https://secure.superfacts.com/web/mst/home.tpz

when i view the Webform details it has saved all 3 variables

But when i go to submit the form - it only fills in the 2 fields it thinks are username and password

how do i get it to fill in the third field please?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @damien1,

While the IDs and names for the fields don't seem to be human generated I've found them to be consistent so far. They seemed to survive reloading the page in the same browser and even loading the page in a completely different browser as well. My testing has been limited but so far 1Password has filled all three fields. Given this can you:

1. Try manually saving a new Login item using the steps outlined on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser and see if it fills two or three fields.
    2. Let us know what version of 1Password you have and your preferred browser if 1. doesn't yield us any positive results. Maybe we're looking at something specific to a version of 1Password or browser. I'll test the same setup as yours and see if I can notice any differences.
This discussion has been closed.