Feature request: ability to move sections

Domon
Domon
Community Member

Please! :'(

I can see this feature has been requested many times since at least 2014, but I really want this feature and I don't know any other way to add my vote.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:move sections

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Domon: It's not something we're working on right now, but we'll consider adding it in a future version. In the mean time, you can move custom fields within a section. Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to create this feature! :)

• eproxus
    eproxus
    Community Member

It's 2018 and you still can't reorder sections in 1Password :frown: Slightest mistake in how you add fields or sections and you have to spend hours reordering fields manually

• Furzul
    Furzul
    Community Member

I agree. This would be a very useful feature.

• It certainly would be nice if we added that.

Rick

• scottrbaxter
    scottrbaxter
    Community Member

+1

I attempt to do this often. It'd be very helpful to reorganize sections... especially with keyboard shortcuts letting me call up the midi window, type in a name, and arrow right,down,down,down,down,etc. various entries... organizing sections would help my workflow immensely.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully we'll be able to add something like that in the future. :)

• brettvitaz
    brettvitaz
    Community Member

Please implement this! I have run into this issue multiple times.

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @brettvitaz :)

Ben

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member

I really would like the ability to move the sections! :chuffed:
    Sometimes I use multiple sections for a item and it would be nice to shuffle the sections around.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. It isn't something that's possible in the short term since there are so many moving parts involved (data formats, 1Password versions, etc.), but I do hope it will be something we can do in the future. :)

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

To be honest, the whole concept of sections is incredibly confusing. The 'edit' view is a mess. Some sections have customisable fields (text/otp/url/email etc) whereas some don't, they're just.... there. Where do I put my emergency OTP codes? In notes or in a section or in a field or what? Why is there an empty section in 'edit' view that I cannot remove? How do I add sections? None of this is clear.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think it looks pretty nice — especially in 1Password 7. But we'll continue to improve 1Password with each release. You can also create a custom field for backup codes, add or remove other custom fields, or whatever you want. Cheers! :)

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

I agree with @brenty, the edit view has come a long way and looks/works pretty good now, though there is always room for improvement.
    +1 for reordering entire sections (not just items within a section)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@twilsonco - :) :+1:

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

I was really disappointed that, with the big upgrade to v7, this feature was not addressed. And you didn't even add the ability to insert a section above the existing ones, so I could just type the section header and then move all the fields from down below. Sigh. :'(

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

@DanBrotsky , I wonder if that could be a potential intermediate implementation before a legit section reordering is finished. I assume there’s a good technical reason it hasn’t been implemented already. Agile Bits tends to favor security-related features over aesthetics and interface, not that 1P is hard on the eyes or anything.

• melorama
    melorama
    Community Member

+1 on this. It's crazy that this option is still not available in v7!

I can understand the need to prioritize feature requests, but it seems a no-brainer that if you added a feature to create custom sections that you would also allow for the re-ordering of those sections based on user preference?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

I'm sorry that you're disappointed, but we try to prioritize the work we do based on what will do the most good for the greatest number of 1Password users. Like you perhaps, I'm really into organizing things and I'd love if it were possible to move all of this around. But the reality is that we get a lot more requests for other things. It's possible we'll do something like this in the future, but we can't do it in 1Password for Mac without breaking templates everywhere, so it would need to be something we can justify re-doing across all of the apps.

• mcrawford
    mcrawford
    Community Member

+1 on this too. It's incomprehensible this OBVIOUS feature is still not there after so many years and people asking for it.

I wish you would have put this in instead of many other features in 7 that made the product far less usable from my own perspective. These include:
    1. I really, REALLY don't like the fact you put the label above the field, instead of leaving it to the left as it was. I, like most, have far more horizontal space on my monitor than vertical, so it was easy for me to widen the main window and see all lines with the prior version, now I have to scroll - PITA. Please make this a user-selectable feature for those of us who want it the old, MORE USABLE way. I really hate it when companies screw up a good GUI just because some new designer wants to make it fresh.
    2. On the Mini, any type of long entry can't be read if the parts that differentiate are at the end. So, I have to click on them one by one to get details.
    3. On the Mini, I store passwords for OpenVPN logins. These can be either a website (used for initial client download) or an entry for the connection once that's configured. I use the website once, but the OpenVPN client dialog daily. The mini attempts to lookup the website, but that's not what I want. I used to be able to right-click the entry, get a pop-up dialog, then select the password. Now, I must click the entry, get a full-page of the item, and only then can I copy the password. Given that I use this every day - this is EXTREMELY WORSE for me from a usability perspective.
    4. On the Mini, I store passwords to protect RoyalTS connection documents. I can pull up the list of these, but again, I can't just right-click the one I want to get the password what used to be quick and easy is now a multi-click, multi-step process. And, it's not clear why you would remove this right-click to get the password or MFA function. That's a clear step backwards in usability.

All things considered, I personally think 7 is a huge step backwards in usability. Is there any way I can switch back to 6 and keep using that version, until these usability issues are fixed?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mcrawford! Thanks for weighing in on the issue of moving sections around in 1Password 7 for Mac, as well as the things you find less useful in version 7. You're welcome to uninstall it and re-install 1Password 6 for Mac. If you no longer have an installer for version 6, you can get one from our downloads page -- just scroll down to the "running an older OS?" section to find the link.

• mcrawford
    mcrawford
    Community Member

No, I don't want to go backwards. Just pointing out that you guys broke a few useful things on this update, and how. The main two things that I'd really like to see fixed are:
    1. Do a Mac finder like "beginning part of long string ... last part" method of displaying long entries, where the ... expands or contracts as the window is expanded and disappears once the complete entry name is visible in the mini. This would allow us to identify entries which differ at the end more easily. As things stand now, I often have to jump in to see the whole name - even when it's short, like <30 chars, then back out, then next line, repeat over and over, to find the entry I need. I hope you realize this is painful and should be fixed.
    2. Restore the ability to right click on the list of entries in the mini and get a pop-up menu of fields which can be copied, in particular the password and any MFA fields. It works this way still on Windows, so I don't know why you removed this on the Mac. Without this feature, I have to first go into the entry, then click to copy. It's just 2x to 3x the clicks compared to what worked before. I don't always just want to "open and fill" - sometimes I just want the password, or I have a 2-page login where I enter the password first, then the MFA second. Removing this was a HUGE step backward in usability.

Otherwise, user since 2010 - Love and recommend your product to everyone. I just want to tell you my experience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No, I don't want to go backwards. Just pointing out that you guys broke a few useful things on this update, and how. The main two things that I'd really like to see fixed are:

@mcrawford: We definitely break things from time to time, and it's on us to fix them. I'm sorry for the inconvenience meanwhile though. However, the things you're talking about aren't something we broke:

1. Do a Mac finder like "beginning part of long string ... last part" method of displaying long entries, where the ... expands or contracts as the window is expanded and disappears once the complete entry name is visible in the mini. This would allow us to identify entries which differ at the end more easily. As things stand now, I often have to jump in to see the whole name - even when it's short, like <30 chars, then back out, then next line, repeat over and over, to find the entry I need. I hope you realize this is painful and should be fixed.

I like that idea, but it isn't something we removed and/or broke. Perhaps we'll be able to do something like that in a future version though.

1. Restore the ability to right click on the list of entries in the mini and get a pop-up menu of fields which can be copied, in particular the password and any MFA fields. It works this way still on Windows, so I don't know why you removed this on the Mac. Without this feature, I have to first go into the entry, then click to copy. It's just 2x to 3x the clicks compared to what worked before. I don't always just want to "open and fill" - sometimes I just want the password, or I have a 2-page login where I enter the password first, then the MFA second. Removing this was a HUGE step backward in usability.

It's not a step backward. 1Password for Mac has never worked that way. macOS menus aren't contextual-menu-interactable pretty much ever. And we actually get a lot of feedback about the way this works on Windows, ironically, with people asking us to "make it like the Mac app".We can't make them exactly the same anyway, but instead we continue to work to make it easier to get what you need. But relying on context menus for "quick copying" is a losing battle — it just isn't fast at all — so our focus is on keyboard shortcuts, and streamlining the UI in general.

Otherwise, user since 2010 - Love and recommend your product to everyone. I just want to tell you my experience.

Absolutely! Thank you for doing so. This is way off topic, and I don't think we'll be making the exact changes you're asking for, but we are working on making it quicker and easier to access data in 1Password when needed, as that benefits everyone. Cheers! :)

• gonzigonz
    gonzigonz
    Community Member

1+. I've only been using your product for 2 months now and I think its a fantastic product. This issue however has been a real pain point for me and caused much frustration every time I go in to edit.

• Thanks for the feedback, @gonzigonz.

Ben

• mariod
    mariod
    Community Member

+1

• Thanks, @mariod.

Ben

• kpitt
    kpitt
    Community Member

The ability to re-order the sections would be VERY much appreciated. In Windows, you can't even move a field WITHIN a section.

I know this feature has been requested many times specifically in regards to One-Time Passwords, though, which is also my biggest problem. As far as I can see, you shouldn't need to re-order sections in order to have the OTP at the top of the entry. I can't imagine a scenario where the OTP belongs anywhere in the entry besides immediately below the password field.

• That’s certainly something we can consider. Thanks, @kpitt.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

The ability to re-order the sections would be VERY much appreciated. In Windows, you can't even move a field WITHIN a section.

@kpitt: Yes you can: Alt and or . :)

• krlklm
    krlklm
    Community Member

Any update when we can expect to be able to move sections?

This discussion has been closed.