Need to move my 1Password to a new computer. & see license key below. Help!

terryfly
terryfly
Community Member
edited April 2018 in Lounge

License key

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@terryfly

I've removed your confidential info. Please don't post your email or license information here as the entire world can see it.

Agilebits will get back to you shortly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@terryfly: To setup 1Password on a new computer, you'll need two things: your license and your data. Ultimately how you prefer to accomplish that is up to you, but this guide will walk you through the various options:

How to move your 1Password data to a new computer or device

1Password also has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased it unless you register the app with your license information. But the good news is that all you need to do is register the app (1Password Help > Enter License Key) to remove the trial restrictions. In that spirit, I've also resent your license information via email. You'll find a link to download the version you purchased and instructions on how to register it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• terryfly
    terryfly
    Community Member

Brenty, thanks for your help. I do have v6 installed on the new financial machine and will next try importing my old vault. Based on Max's video just watched, I will need to install v6 on my old main machine - I will be putting my old financial machine out to pasture, replacing it with the new financial machine. At one point, I had to provide my CC number even though I was using a Free Trial. I understand that the Free Trial will convert to an extension of my old subscription when I register (1Password Help > Enter License Key), however, in v6, HELP does not have Enter License Key in its drop down. Please check my account, let me know what my status is, and cancel the CC charge if it has not already cancelled. This has been the most challenging transition ever for me. Terry.

• terryfly
    terryfly
    Community Member

OK, my next hangups. When searching from the new financial machine for a *1PIF file saved on my main machine, I learned that 1Password cannot search into the network. Am I stuck using a thumbdrive to do that import? Then I search the main machine directly and discovered that there are no *1PIF files on it. I'm sorry to be so slow, but hope you can point me in a more positive direction. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Brenty, thanks for your help.

@terryfly: Likewise, thanks for getting back to me, Terry. Happy to assist. :)

I do have v6 installed on the new financial machine and will next try importing my old vault. Based on Max's video just watched, I will need to install v6 on my old main machine - I will be putting my old financial machine out to pasture, replacing it with the new financial machine.

Gotcha. Definitely let me know how it goes, and if you have any more questions about transferring your data.

At one point, I had to provide my CC number even though I was using a Free Trial. I understand that the Free Trial will convert to an extension of my old subscription when I register (1Password Help > Enter License Key), however, in v6, HELP does not have Enter License Key in its drop down. Please check my account, let me know what my status is, and cancel the CC charge if it has not already cancelled. This has been the most challenging transition ever for me. Terry.

I'm sorry for the confusion there. It sounds like you signed up for a new 1Password.com membership. That's the best option for a lot of reasons, but it isn't necessary to copy your data over to another device. It simply makes it easier to use 1Password everywhere. If you decide you don't want that, you can certainly cancel. That isn't something I can do for you, but you'll be able to cancel yourself in your billing settings on the website:

https://start.1password.com/billing

OK, my next hangups. When searching from the new financial machine for a *1PIF file saved on my main machine, I learned that 1Password cannot search into the network. Am I stuck using a thumbdrive to do that import? Then I search the main machine directly and discovered that there are no *1PIF files on it. I'm sorry to be so slow, but hope you can point me in a more positive direction. Thanks.

1Password cannot "search the network"; you'd need to have the drive mounted locally on the computer, as nothing can be accessed through Finder otherwise. I'm not sure what you're doing here though. The guide I linked above doesn't mention 1PIF at all. That's an export format, and won't be necessary to transfer your data to a new computer. If you want to use a 1Password.com account, you just migrate your data to that and then sign into your account on the other computer to access your data. Otherwise you can use one of the other options to sync your data over yourself, or do it manually with your vault on a USB drive. Let me know how you'd like to proceed and we'll go from there.

This discussion has been closed.