I want to revert to 1Password 5

Options
feltonjohn
feltonjohn
Community Member

I got a new computer a couple days ago and when I installed 1Password, I accidentally accepted version 6. Version 5 works fine for me and I would like to revert. Can you help?
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How can I revert to 1Password 5?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @feltonjohn, and congratulations on the shiny new Mac!

...when I installed 1Password, I accidentally accepted version 6.

The reason you were offered 1Password 6 for Mac is because it's the current version of 1Password -- and in fact, we're actually already beta-testing 1Password 7 for Mac. It's more than trivial to even locate a copy of 1Password 5 for Mac today, given how long it's been out of production. The last update to 1Password 5 for Mac was version 5.4.3, in early January of 2016, more than two years ago, and quite a bit has happened since then.

I assume, if you bought a new Mac, it came with macOS 10.13.3 or 4 installed, the current version of Apple's operating system. For comparison, the last time 1Password 5 for Mac had an update, El Capitan was still going strong (10.11.3 was released just a few days after the final 1Password 5 for Mac update).

Version 5 works fine for me and I would like to revert.

In short, we strongly recommend you not try running versions that are years out of date. As a security-focused company, we really can't recommend anything else but that you keep your software and OS version up to date. A lot of what's included in incremental updates is security-focused, patching newly-discovered vulnerabilities, etc.

More than that, though, we think you'll quite like version 6 -- or even the beta of 1Password 7 for Mac, if you're feeling adventurous. Give it a try, and let us know what you think! :)

• feltonjohn
    feltonjohn
    Community Member
    Options

I took your advice and upgraded to the subscription based service, so far the only difference I see is that all of my records have been duplicated so that I have 2 of each line item. I must have caused this, but don't know how to undo it. Any suggestions?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@feltonjohn - sorry for the trouble! Can you please open 1Password and visit Preferences > All Vaults and let me know what you see there? Is there only one vault, or more than one? Can you give me their names? Thanks.

• feltonjohn
    feltonjohn
    Community Member
    Options

There are two vaults, Primary, and Personal

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@feltonjohn - ok, that explains the "duplicate" information. It's not actually duplicated in either vault, it's that you copied the information from one vault (Primary, the older, standalone vault) into Personal (your 1password.com vault), but you didn't then delete the older Primary vault.

However, this is easy enough to solve. If you're certain you haven't been making a lot of changes to either set of your data since you took this step, then all you need to do is open 1Password Preferences > Advanced (the gear icon over on the top right of the Preferences window), and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove the Primary vault, leaving you with only your 1password.com vault.

If you've been using 1Password on other devices, you'll want to switch them over to the new 1password.com account as well: for those, you don't have to move the data (since you've already done so on your Mac). Instead, just follow these instructions to start over, and when you re-launch 1Password, sign into your account. Then everything will be synced up automatically and you'll have the same data with you, wherever you are! :)

This discussion has been closed.