Family Account password working online but not in the native mac program

wjandrew
wjandrew
Community Member

I signed my wife up via invitations to our family account. I set up her account on her mac. I am able to login to her account online. I downloaded the native mac program and the chrome browser extension.

When we go to login to the native mac program we get an error. I did use the same (initially to set it up) password for her account as I did for my account (different usernames). I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Please advise.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: 10.1.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wjandrew
    wjandrew
    Community Member

I changed her password so that they are not the same (my master vs. hers). Again, I can still login online but cannot with the native program.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wjandrew

When we go to login to the native mac program we get an error.

Can you describe the error that you get? You mentioned that you're using version 6.8.8 of 1Password for Mac, but what happens when your wife tries to use it? I assume she's doing this from her own computer, or from her user account on a joint computer you share -- let me know if that's not the case. Assuming it is, what happens when you launch 1Password? Do you get the lock screen? The new user (Welcome) screen? Something else?

• wjandrew
    wjandrew
    Community Member

Yes, we are using my wife's computer and it just shakes and turns red saying "you have the wrong password". After three attempts it shows our hint.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@wjandrew - OK. Prior to inviting your wife to join your 1Password Families account, was she using 1Password on her Mac? Or is she a brand-new user? If she was already a 1Password user previously, she'll need to use whatever her Master Password was before you invited her to the 1Password Families account, in order to unlock 1Password for Mac. If she doesn't remember that, then that earlier data will be unrecoverable, but she can still use these instructions to erase that old and unrecoverable data and start again.

If she was an existing user and she can remember that older Master Password to unlock her existing data, then she can migrate her data from her old, standalone vault(s) to her 1Password Families account. Let us know how you get on! :)

This discussion has been closed.