«Logins» and «Passwords»

Options

When adding a new item, what is the difference between «Logins» and «Passwords»

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:When adding a new item, what is the difference between «Logins» and «Passwords»

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @termal,

Password items are automatically generated when you use the Password Generator to create a password for you. They're intended as a safety net. The Login item was designed with filling multiple fields on a sign-in page so it's what you want to use for your actual account credentials. When you create or update an existing Login item, if the new password matches a Password item for the same domain 1Password will remove the Password item so you don't have redundant information contained in your vault.

I hope that helps a bit but if you're finding the distinction still isn't clear please say and I'll do my best to expand on any areas where you think more detail is required.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I actually use when I have something that has no login, but just a password (Cryptomator being an example).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

PINs for iOS apps is another good example as well. The vast majority of Password items created in 1Password though will be a result of the Password Generator with 1Password later deleting the items automatically, even for those of us that do find use in the category outside of its original intent.

This discussion has been closed.