"On this PC" instead of "On Dropbox:?

bkendig
bkendig
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I sync my vault via Dropbox. I installed 1PW 7.0.532 on Windows 10 and told it to use my vault on Dropbox. But in the 1Password window, my vault is listed under "All Vaults" / "On this PC". Is it a problem that it's recognized as a local vault and not a Dropbox-synced one? Is there any way for me to force 1PW to recognize it as a Dropbox vault?

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1709
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @bkendig,

Thanks for reporting this. That is expected for the moment and it is not a bug.

We haven't yet separate the standalone vaults into its own group based on sync locations on Windows but we may not do this either on both platforms.

There is no difference between the standalone vault and Dropbox vault, they're just regular 1Password folders that is stored in a different location on your drive. We know on macOS that the folder is in Dropbox directory and changes the UI for it but it can be misleading because you may have Dropbox folder but the actual Dropbox client is not installed nor running.

We're trying to figure out the path forward on this.

• bkendig
    bkendig
    Community Member

Thank you, @MikeT! I was worried that if I had this set incorrectly, I might have both Dropbox and 1Password simultaneously trying to manipulate the vault and ending up corrupting it.

If I can offer my two cents, I think it's safer and easier not to have 1Password acknowledge Dropbox at all - just tell people that they can keep their vault anywhere, and if they happen to put it into their Dropbox folder, then it'll be synced between devices. There doesn't seem to be a need for 1Password to differentiate (in the UI, at least) between a vault that's being synced with Dropbox versus one that isn't.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bkendig: I tend to agree with you, for many of the same reasons. Ultimately 1Password isn't communicating with Dropbox; it's just syncing it inside that folder. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• Gino
    Gino
    Community Member

I have to agree with bkendig comments. I have two vaults in my dropbox but only one is showing up in my beta. How do I add the other vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gino: Click the 1Password menu at the top and select "Open vault on this PC". I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Gino
    Gino
    Community Member

Brenty, I have done that but can't add any other vaults. I have two in dropbox but only my main one on the beta

• Hi @Gino,

On that PC, can you open your Dropbox folder using Windows File Explorer, can you locate the other folder that has the name ending of .opvault or .agilekeychain?

Dropbox may not be syncing all of your folders yet.

• Gino
    Gino
    Community Member

I am able to open agilekeychain on both vaults and agilekeychain and .opvault for one vault.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

@bkendig: I tend to agree with you, for many of the same reasons. Ultimately 1Password isn't communicating with Dropbox; it's just syncing it inside that folder. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

That's not true for all platforms though is it @brenty? (case in point the whole issue with opvault being supported on Android via dropbox but not via local folder).

I totally agree with the principle though, from my perspective it shouldn't matter whether I use Dropbox, or OneDrive, or iDrive, or ... but for some reason it does (in Android at least)

• Gino
    Gino
    Community Member

I am unable to link this to dropbox I added a credit card on my mobile device that utilizes dropbox where my vault is stored but it does not sync up with the one on my pc. How do I link the two?

• bundtkate
    edited April 2018

@Gino: If you opened an Agile Keychain vault in 1Password 7, that will be converted to OPVault. A good first thing to check is the sync path for your vault on your mobile device. Were I to hazard a guess, it's still pointing to the Agile Keychain vault and that's why you're not seeing the new item on your PC.

@wraith: With mobile devices, things get a bit fuzzier because Dropbox sync is different there. Whatsay OPVault + local folder is implemented on Android and you're able to use that to sync via another cloud service besides Dropbox. That vault is "On this Android" on Android and "On this PC" on your PC, and ... well, you get the point. I can see that getting confusing and don't have a perfect answer. Thankfully, most folks using standalone vaults are more advanced users. Y'all understand that what matters is the filepath of that vault matching across your devices. "On this PC" lets you know this is a standalone vault, the sync settings will ultimately let you know that filepath, and the hope is this is all y'all need. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wraith: Just to clarify what Kate mentioned, as you know, full OPVault support is on the docket for 1Password for Android version 7. We just don't have any timeline we can share for that (or really anything else). I'll be glad once we're closer to release and can share more though. While the 1Password mobile apps obviously communicate with Dropbox to some extent through their APIs, that's simply not the case on the desktop, so I don't want to derail a Windows beta discussion on that count. :)

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

@brenty Not trying to derail, just trying to understand which platforms do what.

So on Windows (and perhaps Mac) the Dropbox support is purely a "local folder" that happens to be sync'd by the Dropbox client? (and if the Dropbox client isn't installed then you're not actually syncing no matter what 1Password thinks)?

And on Android (and perhaps iOS) the Dropbox support is actually part of the 1Password app so the sync is performed within the app with no other client involved?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Not trying to derail, just trying to understand which platforms do what.

@wraith: I know. I was mostly referring to my comments. I wanted to address that, but don't want to go too far off topic. Feel free to start a new discussion and @-mention me if you want to discuss anything else in more detail. :)

So on Windows (and perhaps Mac) the Dropbox support is purely a "local folder" that happens to be sync'd by the Dropbox client? (and if the Dropbox client isn't installed then you're not actually syncing no matter what 1Password thinks)?

Correct. And Dropbox will need to be running and up to date.

And on Android (and perhaps iOS) the Dropbox support is actually part of the 1Password app so the sync is performed within the app with no other client involved?

Sort of. We use their APIs to make requests to their service. The Dropbox app is not required and mostly not involved.

• tsanchai
    tsanchai
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

What happened to me is 1Password client on Mac (it’s 1Password 7 beta 7 now), Android, IOS are all using agilekeychain vault on Dropbox to sync

.But 1Password 7 beta on my Windows 10 notebook Pc forced convert agilekeychain to OPvault the first time I select a Dropbox agilekeychain vault.

This is a one way street. so changes made on other device to agilekeychain vault will never get updated to OPvault at all.

This is a disaster to 1Password to user like me who use standalone vault on Dropbox.

Can you make 1Password 7 for Windows to support agilekeychain like 1Password 7 for Mac.

I see no reason why you will not do so.

Add support for agilekeychain vault without forced conversion to OPVault will keep 1Password 7 to sync through all platforms.

Do not defeat the merits of 1Password by forcing us to use OPvault when 1Password clients on IOS and Android and Mac are not fully supporting it

Fix please

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tsanchai: We have no plans to support the old AgileKeychain vault format going forward. 1Password for Mac, iOS, And Android all support OPVault. It sounds like you just need to setup your other devices to use that same OPVault you have on your PC. Can you tell me where you're having trouble with that?

• tsanchai
    tsanchai
    Community Member

OK will do that and see how it work out

• tsanchai
    tsanchai
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Have done that it seems fine. For iPad, after close down 1Password then reboot, restart 1Password, everything work perfectly. So now I am on OPVault on Android, IOS, Mac and Windows 10.

Wonder if there will be a UWA app for1Password that will work on the Windows Phone aka Lumia 950XL?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tsanchai: Glad to hear you were able to setup sync on your other devices. We don't have plans to support Windows Phone, as Microsoft has also discontinued development for that platform already. UWP is interesting, but not quite a viable option for us since we have to support Windows 7 and that won't work there.

This discussion has been closed.