Move existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Options
jlg
jlg
Community Member

Hello, I am currently using the 1Password app on my iMac, and I am about to sign up for a 1Password account. I looked at the instructions from the support page. I understand the steps: sign up for an account, then migrate the data from my current vault to the newly created one. There are a few things however that are still not fully clear to me, which all revolve around the same concern: how do I make sure that I am not going to lose all my data in the process...
According to the instructions, during setup, I will be asked to create a Master Password. The instructions indicate that I should use my existing Master Password: is this a requirement to be able to migrate my data successfully?
Also, based on the instructions, the migration must be initiated from my current 1Password app (from the Preferences menu...). Does this mean that I will not be using the app any more once I have migrated my data, and that I will only be using the web based platform? Otherwise why is a new vault created exactly? I find that a bit confusing. If I can still use the app once I have set up my 1Password account and migrated my data, does it require any update, or will I be using the exact same app?
The video describes the step where the user is prompted to add the newly created account to the Mac app: is there something in particular to do to make sure that I get the prompt? Does the 1Password app need to be open or something?
Then the user is asked apparently if he wants to move his "saved items" into the new account: does "saved items" refer to all of my existing data stored locally? How can I check that the move was successful?
Then the most scary step is the last one: "To remove your old Primary vault, choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault." I am a bit confused because the video describes a step where the user is actually prompted to delete the old local vault. So what is exactly the best way to get this done? And above all how do I know that it is safe to remove my old vault? How can I make sure that I am not removing all my data by accident?
I hope my questions are making sense; again, just a bit nervous at the thought of messing up with my data...

Last question: with the standard 1Password account (not 1Password families), is it possible for both my wife and I to run the 1Password app for ios on our respective phones and access / share the same vault, or does this require the family account?

Thank you! I cannot wait to be done with the setup and migration process.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jlg

I am currently using the 1Password app on my iMac, and I am about to sign up for a 1Password account.

Awesome! Welcome to 1password.com.

The instructions indicate that I should use my existing Master Password: is this a requirement to be able to migrate my data successfully?

No. And frankly, if your current Master Password for your standalone 1Password data is weak or you worry it's been compromised, you shouldn't choose the same one. What using the same one does is prevent you from having to remember another long, strong password if you already have a perfectly good one you know and like. Be aware, though, that whatever you choose for your 1password.com account will be the only Master Password you use from here on, so make sure it's a) good and strong and b) something you can remember.

Does this mean that I will not be using the app any more once I have migrated my data, and that I will only be using the web based platform?

No. What it means is that you'll be adding your newly-created 1password.com account into 1Password for Mac alongside your existing standalone 1Password data. That's how you merge: you have the two separate vaults (one local to your Mac, the other in your 1password.com account) open, side-by-side in 1Password for Mac, and you transfer/migrate the data from the standalone vault into the 1password.com vault. Then, when you're finished doing that and your old Primary vault is empty, you remove it and go 1password.com account-only.

...does "saved items" refer to all of my existing data stored locally? How can I check that the move was successful?

Yes. And you can check by looking in your 1password.com vault. If you want to be really certain, you can sign into your account in a browser, and see if the data is there.

...the video describes a step where the user is actually prompted to delete the old local vault. So what is exactly the best way to get this done?

Either using the steps in the video, or you can visit 1Password's Preferences > Advanced (the gear icon at the top right of the Preferences window), and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts."

...how do I know that it is safe to remove my old vault?

Look at it -- is it empty? If so, it's safe to remove because there's nothing in it any longer. You can use the vault menu at the top left of the main 1Password menu to switch vaults to the Primary vault, and if you see no items there, go ahead. If you want to be extra-cautious, before you begin the process, you can visit 1Password Preferences > Backup and click "Backup Now" to create a backup of the current state of your data before beginning the migration process. That way, if anything goes truly pear-shaped, you'll be able to roll back to an existing backup.

...with the standard 1Password account (not 1Password families), is it possible for both my wife and I to run the 1Password app for ios on our respective phones and access / share the same vault, or does this require the family account?

The best way to do this would be the use of a 1Password Families membership, but if you want to, you can use an individual account. You'd need to share the Master Password and Secret Key with your wife, and there'd be NO individual vaults at all; everything for both of you would be all jumbled up in the same account, which both of you could see/use on your respective devices.

A 1Password Families account is much better-segmented for multiple person use: each family member (up to five, with a 1Password Families account) gets his/her own Private vault, plus access to the family-wide Shared vault. That way, each of you can keep your own personal items separate -- not because you want to keep secrets from one another, but because you both will likely have a Login item called (for example) "Facebook." If everything is kept in the same vault (like it would be if you used an Individual account, which Facebook login should 1Password use when you try signing in there? You'd have to constantly be selecting yours or your wife's for sites at which you both have an individual login. But with 1Password Families, you can still put items where you have only one login that you both need/want, like the family Netflix password, into the Shared vault.

Hope this was helpful, but if you have any questions, let us know. Honestly, don't worry: if you follow the steps to get yourself transitioned over, you'll do just fine.

• jlg
    jlg
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars, thank you for your detailed response; much appreciated. I created my account tonight and the process went flawlessly. I guess I would also have been fine had I just followed the instructions from the website, but your explanations provided me with a bit more insight and reassurance which were much welcome. By the way, I must honestly say that I am blown away by the quality of the support I have been receiving from your team. Nice job, keep it up! Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jlg - that's excellent news! I'm so glad to hear it was smooth sailing. And thanks for the kind words, we really appreciate it. We genuinely love what we do - helping bring people greater security and privacy, so I'm glad it shows. :)

This discussion has been closed.