CLI hangs on macOS 10.13.3/4 (and eventually entire system slogs to unusability)

darthnull
darthnull
Community Member
edited April 2018 in CLI

I tried out the op CLI the other day (for the first time since probably 0.1), and after starting the sign-in process, it just hung. It displayed the token / eval string, but never returned to a prompt. Then the system got slower and slower...I tried killing the process, and even with -9 and root privileges it wouldn't die, but just remained in the ps list (as "(op)", which at one point I probably knew what that meant but no longer...)

Eventually, it got to the point where other apps were freezing up, or other terminal windows. I rebooted, and the system gave me some other crazy errors probably not 1P related (macOS installer errors). After several reboots and such, it eventually came back into the OS, and I upgraded from 10.13.3 to 10.13.4.

I still get the same error, but it hasn't been quite the complete system lockup as I saw before...possibly because I'm just rebooting as soon as it's clear the app has hung.

I tried it at home (where I think I'm using 10.13.3) and it worked just fine. So I considered that maybe it was a MFA issue with my work account...tried signing in with just my family account (no MFA there) and again, hung.

I haven't seen anyone else report this problem, but it's possible it was addressed a while back and has just resurfaced (and I didn't go far enough back int the forum).

david.

(PS - didn't occur to me until an hour later --- the hanging is occurring on a Touch-bar equipped MBP, while the machine at home, where it works, is a much older 15").

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @darthnull,

My own MBP is a touchbar equipped one and I've not seen anything like this. Is there any chance that you could sample the process while it's running so that we can hopefully get an idea of what it's doing while hanging?

Rick

• darthnull
    darthnull
    Community Member

I'll see what I can do, but probably won't get to it until Monday.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! We'll be here. :)

• darthnull
    darthnull
    Community Member

Okay, I tried using the command line "sample" tool. It simply wouldn't sample -- that is, it'd hang, just like op hangs. (and every time this happens, stuff just slows down, I have to force-reboot, etc.).

Finally tried safe mode, and realized I couldn't launch the app 'cause it was in my Google Drive folder. Downloaded a new copy and it worked just fine!

I then rebooted in "normal" mode, and the copy on my local drive works, but the copy in my Google Drive (which is identical -- same hashes and everything) hangs.

So it seems something about running the process from a mounted Google Drive folder is causing it to just totally hang up the process, and a bunch of the system.

• Hrm... I can't imagine what it'd be about op that could cause that. Have you tried running another utility from the same Google Drive folder?

Rick

• darthnull
    darthnull
    Community Member

Ha! Okay. I'll admit, I was doubtful about your question...but I just copied the sqlite3 binary there, and it, too, is freezing now. Okay. Definitely something odd to do with Google Drive, perhaps interfering in some way with endpoint stuff on the machine too.

Thanks for helping me narrow that down (as it were). Looks like op is off the hook. :D

david.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@darthnull: It sounds like you're running this on a Mac. Google Drive is terrible there. I have no idea why. But I basically only use it on other platforms now as a result. So your experience doesn't surprise me. :sweat:

• Ha! Okay. I'll admit, I was doubtful about your question...

I'd have been too if I was in your shoes.

Looks like op is off the hook.

For now. It's software after all... Don't hesitate to report any other oddities you find. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.