To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New Laptop; Lost secret key. Recover?

Options
carlos_blockfi
carlos_blockfi
Community Member

My old laptop stopped charging and completely wouldn't turn on. My emergency pdf was stored there. I didn't put my files on a cloud. How can I get my secret key?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Secret key

Comments

• nis
    nis
    Community Member
    Options

One of your best bets would be to remove the hard drive from your laptop and try to recover data from it. Based on the fact that your laptop wouldn't charge and turn ON anymore, it is likely that your hard drive itself is still fine and you may be able to retrieve your data from it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nis: Indeed, that will be the best option if that's the only place the data was stored.

@carlos_blockfi: But, before you go messing around with hard drives, I want to make sure we're on the same page, as these two comments seem to contradict each other:

My emergency pdf was stored there.

and

I didn't put my files on a cloud.

To be clear, it sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. Had you been using the 1Password.com "cloud" service, or did you store your 1Password data only on your laptop? If the latter, then nis is correct: you'll need to recover it from the old computer, otherwise it will be gone forever. Let me know.

• carlos_blockfi
    carlos_blockfi
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@brenty I solved the issue now by getting my company's administrator to re-add me and regenerate a private key. Nonetheless, I wasn't using the 1Pass cloud service, but I will now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@carlos_blockfi: Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update! And if you use 1Password.com in a family or team setting, you can also take advantage of account recovery options there as well. Cheers! :)

ref: BFM-78576-333

This discussion has been closed.