1 Password not working on Firefox 58.0.1 (64bit Windows)

Options

In 2016 I purchases a License for both Mac and Windows for cross platform capability. I have 1Password 4 installed on my PC. Recently I noticed that the 1 Password Fire Fox extension no longer works. The 1P icon is grayed out in the Firefox tool bar.

So I tried to update the extension by removing and reinstalling it on Firefox. During this process, after I allowed Firefox to install the extension, I got the message from Agilebits, that "The Add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure." Tried multiple times, no work. So the extension is no longer installed.

Then I thought that updating to a newer version of 1Password might help, so I downloaded 1Password 6, but when I try to open that it insists that I buy a membership?? What goes with this? I want the product, but I don't want to pay a monthly membership.

I have not changed anything, I want 1 Password to continue to work on Windows Firefox.
Looking for a solution.

1Password Version: 1Password 4
Extension Version: Won't let me install it
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Vault

Comments

• tealduck
    tealduck
    Community Member
    Options

"I want the product, but I don't want to pay for it." - spoken like a true Marxist.

• Squeeky46
    Squeeky46
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

UH, I DID PAY FOR IT bright eyes... and I'm willing to PAY to upgrade to a new version, but lately this idea among software developers to continuously suck money out of customers with subscriptions or in this case memberships (really a membership?) is BS.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Squeeky46,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! I am sorry for the confusion with 1Password on Windows.

1Password 6 for Windows is focused on our 1Password.com accounts and does not support standalone vaults at the moment. If you want to continue using 1Password with your existing license, you should stick with 1Password 4 for the time being (the support for local vaults and standalone licenses is coming back in 1Password 7 for Windows).

Please try to do the following in order to fix the issues with 1Password extension in Firefox:

1) Uninstall 1Password 6 for Windows, if you are not planning to use a 1Password.com account.

2) Install 1Password extension in Firefox again. If you see The Add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure error, please follow the steps in this guide:

If you see “the add-on could not be downloaded” in Firefox

3) Quit Firefox.
    4) Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Advanced and make sure that you have Native Messaging enabled there.
    5) Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Restart 1Password Helper.
    6) Launch Firefox.

Let me know if it works for you after that.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Squeeky46
    Squeeky46
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Greg,
    Thanks for the help, and the friendly reply! :)

• I uninstalled 1Password 6. I still have and am using 1Password 4 on Windows 10, with Firefox v58.0.1.
    • I enabled and verified that Use Native Messaging is enabled.
    • I restarted1 Password Helper.
    • On this page: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions, when I select the install button for Firefox, up in the url box a message appears: "Firefox prevents this site from asking you to install software on your computer". When I select the "Allow" button, the message: "This add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure".

• Is there another way to download the extension manually and install it into Firefox?

• What would you like me to try next?

I suppose I could try to see if I have better compatibility with Safari for Windows. And I just verified there is no issue with the 1Password extension in Chrome. IPassword is important to me, enough so that I will change browsers if I have to to maintain cross platform compatibility.

On the Mac side, using the Activity Monitor, I've noticed that Firefox has become a memory hog. There I have already switched to Safari.

• Is there a 1Password extension made to work with Safari for Windows? *Update, there may not be a Safari for Windows. :-\
  • Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Squeeky46,

Please follow the steps here to install 1Password extension in your Firefox. Let us know how it works.

The support of Safari for Windows has been discontinued by Apple, so we do not recommend to use an outdated (last version: 5.1.7 on May 9, 2012) version on this platform. Please install 1Password in Chrome and Firefox (as described above) and let us know if you have any issues with it. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Squeeky46
    Squeeky46
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Greg,
    Is 1Password 4 and incompatibility with Firefox a known issue, possibly a temporary issue? Instead of forcing Firefox to make this work, I might just switch to Chrome.

Thanks again!

Update, Using these instructions, per link you provided:
    If you’re having trouble installing the 1Password extension in Firefox or it doesn’t update automatically, follow these steps to install the extension manually:

Open a different browser, like Safari, Edge, or Chrome.
    Copy and paste this link into your browser to download the 1Password extension. It will be saved as a .xpi file in your Downloads folder.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/firefox

Open Firefox and drag the .xpi file to the Firefox window, then click Add.

After you manually install the extension, you may need to manually add the 1Password button to the toolbar.

If I select the page in Chrome by right clicking it, it offers to save as an html file. How do you save the link or the page as a ".xpi" file?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Squeeky46,

This is a known issue with some antivirus and other security software that prevent the 1Password extension from being installed or updated automatically in Firefox.

Are you able to download Firefox extension (.xpi file) from this direct link? Let me know how it works for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Squeeky46
    Squeeky46
    Community Member
    Options

Will report back... Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squeeky46: :+1: :chuffed:

• theluk
    theluk
    Community Member
    Options

hello, why is the extension not in the official firefox addons page like all the other password managers?
    https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/collections/mozilla/password-managers/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

@theluk: There are a number of reasons, all of which are rather boring, having to do with the tools chain and submission process, but we'd definitely like to have it be there in the future if we can. Cheers! :)

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#96

• theluk
    theluk
    Community Member
    Options

I think a company like you, where security and trust plays the biggest role, should consider that "external installations" are way more unsecure. I can assure you, that I absolutly do not trust an external link, as it signalizes to me that it might somehow not be approved by firefox. That it might use other APIs or functionality that firefox would not support and therefore not publish. Or it is not from you at all. It´s like installing an android/iphone app outside the store. That just is not cool. You know, I would not care if it would be some other app / company. But if it is something I pay for and something that is in the security perspective the most important thing i care about, then I get a little bit angry when I read such an easy peasy "boring" anwser like you did...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think a company like you, where security and trust plays the biggest role, should consider that "external installations" are way more unsecure. I can assure you, that I absolutly do not trust an external link, as it signalizes to me that it might somehow not be approved by firefox.

@theluk: I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. After all, where better to get software than from the company that makes it? Certainly we're interested in having 1Password on Mozilla's Add-on site because some folks expect to find it there. It's good for getting more exposure. But Right now, you're not getting 1Password from "an external link". You're getting it directly from us:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

Unfortunately placement in a browser extension repository like that is no guarantee of legitimacy or safety. If I had a dollar for every 1Password imposter I've seen there or Chrome's web store, I could at least buy myself a nice dinner. That's no knock against Mozilla or Google. That's a heck of a thing to try to take on, and I know it's something they're always working on improving.

That it might use other APIs or functionality that firefox would not support and therefore not publish.

That's a reasonable point, but that's not the case. We're using Mozilla's latest official frameworks, which is why we were able to support e10s well before it shipped to everyone.

Or it is not from you at all.

Maybe I'm making an assumption here. Where are you downloading it from?

It´s like installing an android/iphone app outside the store. That just is not cool. You know, I would not care if it would be some other app / company.

It's nothing at all like that, but you're right that it can be scary because we have such important stuff in 1Password. I do too. But honestly I'd rather download it from AgileBits directly because I don't have to try to double check to make sure it isn't just somebody copying our listing and posting a fake 1Password extension. In the case of Chrome, we have to have 1Password there and nowhere else. We cannot host it directly ourselves. You'd think that's a good thing for users, but that isn't the case. When we see something like that, we report it, and are often relieved that it's removed when only a handful of people have downloaded it...but at the same time those are actual people who've now got a fake 1Password extension. That sucks. So, again, while we do want to have 1Password on Mozilla's site i the future, you can always get 1Password from the source — us — and that's really best.

But if it is something I pay for and something that is in the security perspective the most important thing i care about, then I get a little bit angry when I read such an easy peasy "boring" anwser like you did...

I get where you're coming from. I'm sorry you felt that way about my reply. It totally depends on the person. I tend to get more people angry by writing the long, boring posts I often do. I apologize that you were hoping for more details. :(

We do hope to move to different build processes in the future that will allow us to have 1Password featured in Mozilla's add-on database, and I thank you for taking the time to tell us you want that too. I hope you enjoy your weekend.

This discussion has been closed.