To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Thinking about upgrading but...

Options
Morrile
Morrile
Community Member

Hello,

I have 1password 4.6.2.626 on the PC and 6.2.9200 on the Mac that share the vault via Dropbox with an additional backup stored elsewhere for just in case. However, if I migrate to the Family Membership what options do we have where to store the vault and do we have additional options for backups?

I do know the move will happen soon it's just that I cannot see all the options. I want to know more before taking the plunge. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Morrile

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I've had a 1Password membership from the beginning (I never bought individual app licenses). With the subscription, you also get the option to have everything synced to 1Password's servers instead of Dropbox or any other third-party cloud storage, which is how we use it. You also get the latest version of the apps to use on an unlimited number of devices.

That being said (and I know one of the team will correct me if I'm wrong here), you can upgrade to Families and keep using it the way you are, but you'll lose out on all the best stuff 1Password membership gets you: individual and shared vaults, syncing and backup without a third-party service, and the extra security that they provide.

You can try it out for 30 days for free anyway, and if you don't want to go that route, you can just go back to the way you're doing it now. My guess is you'll never look back.

Hope this helps,

Adam
    (A satisfied 1Password Families subscriber)

• Morrile
    Morrile
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Adam,

"everything synced to 1Password's servers" that's something I didn't know and does answer my question, many thanks.

If I try the 30 day what will it do to the individual apps I currently use? Will it co-exist happily until I make a final decision or try and replace individual apps?

Kind regards,
    Morrile

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again @Morrile,

The Mac app will not need to be uninstalled in order to work with a 1Password account. Still, you should probably make sure it's up-to-date first before proceeding (I'd recommend this in any case). You'll end up with both Dropbox data as a "Primary Vault" and your 1Password data both visible and accessible in 1Password. You can adjust where 1Password saves by default and hide the Primary Vault from the All Vaults view by following the instructions in this article.

For your Windows machine, you'll need to get a newer version of 1Password (1Password6) in order to connect to your 1Password account. You can leave both versions installed, but your browser extension will only work with one at a time. In this case, you probably want to prevent 1Password 4 from running by disabling the 1Password helper in Task Manager: go to the Startup tab, right-click on 1Password, and select Disable. You can reverse this by launching 1Password 4 and clicking Help > Restart 1Password Helper if you want to go back to things the way they are now after the trial expires.

The migration process is itself pretty straightforward: you sign up for 1Password Families, then pick one of your devices, migrate your Dropbox data to it, and sign in to 1Password on the other device. Since the 1Password trial gets you everything you'd get with the full paid subscription for free, this is a great chance to try it out on your phone and wherever else as well. You can find step-by-step instructions here that will walk you through the process. If you want to keep your existing setup intact, you can just ignore the parts where they tell you to remove the old Primary vault or uninstall the old version of 1Password for now, and do that later if you decide to keep going after the trial.

Hopefully this all makes sense, and I'm sure one of the team will jump in and correct me if I'm off about something.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Adam

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again @Morrile,

"everything synced to 1Password's servers" that's something I didn't know and does answer my question, many thanks.

You're welcome. :)

If I try the 30 day what will it do to the individual apps I currently use? Will it co-exist happily until I make a final decision or try and replace individual apps?

You'll be happy to know that don't have to uninstall anything. For the Mac app, I would suggest updating to the latest version first before proceeding (I'd recommend this anyway). When you're all set up with your new 1Password account, you'll end up with both your Dropbox data as your "Primary Vault" and your 1Password data in the same app. You can then go to into Settings and hide this one from your All Vaults view and change it so you are saving to a 1Password vault by default. If you decide to go back to how things are now, just make sure you copy anything new or changed back to your Primary Vault before you remove the 1Password account.

For Windows, you'll need to install the newest version (1Password 6). However, your browser extension will only work with one of the apps, so you should probably stop 1Password 4 from launching by disabling the 1Password Helper: open Task Manager, go to the Startup tab, right-click on 1Password, and click Disable. Again, If you decide at the end of the trial to go back to the way things are now, just launch 1Password 4 again and go to Help > Restart 1Password Helper.

The migration process from Dropbox is pretty straightforward: you sign up for your 1Password account, then pick one of your devices, migrate your data from Dropbox, then sign in on your other device. Follow the step-by-step instructions in this support article, and just ignore the final bits about removing the old Primary Vault or uninstalling the old version for now. You can do this later if you decide to stick with the membership.

Since the trial gets you everything included in the full version for free, this is also a great time to try it out on your phone or any other device, since you get it on an unlimited number of devices with your membership. You can also add family members, create other vaults, or do anything you else you can do with the paid subscription.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy 1Password Families as much as I do. Hopefully I've covered everything here. I'm sure one of the guys from the team will jump in if not.

Adam

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the double post. Something wonky is happening, either on the forum or in my account. My original reply disappeared, so I rewrote it when I thought it was gone forever. 8-) The same issue is preventing me from deleting one of my responses.

• Morrile
    Morrile
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Adam,

You have been most helpful indeed, many thanks. I just need to read the various links you included and next weekend I shall take the 30 days plunge.

Morrile

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks for the assist here @AdamP, and thanks @Morrile for considering upgrading 1Password. Please let us know how it turns out, and if you have any further questions. :)

Ben

ref: IMF-57833-658

This discussion has been closed.