1P getting worse at handling Enter characters x, y and z

Much as we dislike this security method, it isn't going to go away. One saving grace is that some sites helpfully tag the individual character boxes with a name such as login[pin_2]

With 1P for Windows 4.6.2.626 I was able to manually create a Web form details item for every character position and 1P would fill in the 3 that actually appeared. Magic!

Now I'm moving up-to-date with 1P 6.8.534 that capability doesn't seem to exist. I can view Web form details but not create/delete individual fields.

Am I missing something?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Much as we dislike this security method, it isn't going to go away. One saving grace is that some sites helpfully tag the individual character boxes with a name such as login[pin_2]

@markv: Yeah. Yuck. Fortunately the vast majority of sites are not this user-hostile. :(

With 1P for Windows 4.6.2.626 I was able to manually create a Web form details item for every character position and 1P would fill in the 3 that actually appeared. Magic!

Uhh. Hmm. I've never heard of that before, and given how 1Password works I cannot imagine how this would be possible. Can you elaborate? Did you edit the web form details yourself?

Now I'm moving up-to-date with 1P 6.8.534 that capability doesn't seem to exist. I can view Web form details but not create/delete individual fields. Am I missing something?

It sounds like that's what it is, but please tell me if I've misunderstood. Currently it is not possible to edit webform details in the new app, but it's something we'll be adding in a future update. I have to ask though, if you already created a login to do that, why not use that one? Thanks in advance! :)

• markv
    markv
    Community Member

In 1P for Windows 4.6.2.626 I click the Pencil icon to edit. That gives a pop-up box with a title of Login and shows full details for the item in question.
    Those details include every web form item. Each item can be deleted, edited or '+' to add a new one.

It's not a magic bullet because most sites that require a Character x, y and z don't tag the input boxes helpfully.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@markv: Thanks for clarifying! Indeed, I've encountered these sites myself, but never one where that would work. Very cool what you did there. :)

• markv
    markv
    Community Member

Examining a page's HTML source code sometimes helps to wrangle a difficult login into 1P.

But my main point was that 1P v4 for Windows allows for clever customisations. v6 doesn't.

I'm on a Family trial membership (after years of single v4) and having problems getting things to work. After 2 evenings work I have about one quarter of one family members logins working. Standards, what standards :-(

I guess your developers spend their whole lives looking at html and tearing their hair out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Examining a page's HTML source code sometimes helps to wrangle a difficult login into 1P.

@markv: Oh, absolutely! But not everyone does that, and even when I do it's often an exercise in futility. So I just thought it was cool that you sort of hit the jackpot here. I wish that was always the case, and I'm sorry that even in this one the new app cannot yet accommodate you with regard to editing web form details. :blush:

But my main point was that 1P v4 for Windows allows for clever customisations. v6 doesn't.

Yep! Loud and clear. I apologize for getting sidetracked by my fascination with your workaround. :lol:

I'm on a Family trial membership (after years of single v4) and having problems getting things to work. After 2 evenings work I have about one quarter of one family members logins working. Standards, what standards :-(

Yeah... Well, they exist, and many sites do support them. But it can really be hit or miss depending on the particular sites you frequent. :(

Definitely let us know if we can be of any assistance to you or your loved ones there.

I guess your developers spend their whole lives looking at html and tearing their hair out.

Well, I haven't had any for a long time, so I think I can at least be a surrogate so other folks can keep theirs. ;)

But in all seriousness, we love playing around with this stuff, and we'll be just as happy as you when we can do that with the new Windows app. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

This discussion has been closed.