1password Family Shared accounts suggestions

swhitlow
swhitlow
Community Member

Loving the new 1password family shared accounts. Wish I would have known about this a long time ago!

Had a few feature suggestions:

1. I would like to invite my wife to be able to see ALL vaults just like I do (including my private vault). I think this should be a feature where I can make her admin of my account. (i.e. what if something happens to me? I would want her to have full access).

2. For the "Shared" account, I would like to be able to revoke a family member's access to the shared account without revoking their full access (and they would still be able to keep their own personal vault). However, once you invite someone to the family, they automatically have access to the shared vault. I feel that this needs to change.

3. I would like to be able to "Archive" certain vaults. I have projects I work on for months at a time. I create a separate vault for these projects and the corresponding password associated, etc. However, once they are completed, I would like the have the ability to archive the vault.

Keep up the great work! Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0 BETA 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS High Sierra
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member

@swhitlow Here's a couple thoughts from another user prior to AgileBits' more informed response.

1. Re: your wife seeing your private vault: One option is to share your secret key and login credentials with here so that she could log in as "you" in the event of your incapacitation. Another is to forgo use of your Private Vault by creating a new vault, transfering all your private vault items there and then sharing it with only her. This would work fine as long as only the two of you are designated as account admins so other family members couldn't invite themselves so to speak.

2. Re: Shared Vault: As in number 1, you could forgo use of the standard Shared Vault and create another vault to share or un-share with individual family members as you so choose.

I'll leave the archive question to the pros; however, one workaround that comes to mind is to create a single vault named Archive and moving all items from a project vault there after tagging them with a unique identifier. You could then delete the project vault. Granted that would become a bit of a mixed bag, but filtering on the unique tag should let you view only the items associated with a specific project.

• Hi folks,

I think oshloel has pretty well explained the options here. Thanks for the assist! The only thing I’ll add is that for #3... there may be another option depending on what “archive” means to you. If you just don’t want items in that vault to show up in search results then you can uncheck it in the All Vaults preferences. That’ll make it such that you won’t see those items in the main listing, search, or the browser extensions unless you explicitly switch from the All Vaults view to the “archived” vault.

If you have further questions @swhitlow please let us know.

Ben

• swhitlow
    swhitlow
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I have already done all of those actions and have it setup that way before I even suggested these features. My guess is, most users would not understand all this and just be looking for an easier solution. I’ve noticed as I have tried to explain this to my wife, I see her eyes start glazing over. So, I thought it might be good to have it baked into the application. Thanks!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

ref: XKS-24186-546

This discussion has been closed.