"Reset" Personal Vault

cdtdelta
cdtdelta
Community Member

I have a family account, and originally I imported my LastPass account into my Personal Vault when I signed up for the family plan. I've been using KeePass for my main password storage, primary because of the Linux support, however since I can now utilize the Chrome extension I'd like to migrate that password database into my Personal vault.
The issue/concern I have right now is if I do that, I'm going to have a ton of duplicate entries. So ideally I'd like to remove all the entries in my 1Password Personal Vault, and then import the KeePass database using the 1Password utility.
I was searching on the forums and didn't see anything that indicated I could do a "mass deletion" of entries, so I wanted to see if it's even possible.

Thanks...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cdtdelta: It's fairly easy to delete a lot of items at once in the native 1Password apps, but it sounds like that won't be an option for you. You could start over fresh with a new account though, and that would allow you to import data you want from scratch. Let me know what you think.

• cdtdelta
    cdtdelta
    Community Member

Starting over would probably complicate things a bit more. I ended up importing my KeePass stuff, and just tagging it KeePass. The older imported items were tagged differently, so I just removed the duplicates in that one.

I'm assuming there's no way to change items from one type to another once it's saved? For example almost everything got imported as a Login type, so I have entries in there that are just standard passwords, credit cards, etc. I have to create new entries for those versus being able to change the type of entry it is correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Starting over would probably complicate things a bit more. I ended up importing my KeePass stuff, and just tagging it KeePass. The older imported items were tagged differently, so I just removed the duplicates in that one.

@cdtdelta: Nice practical use of tags. I should have thought of that. Cheers! :)

I'm assuming there's no way to change items from one type to another once it's saved? For example almost everything got imported as a Login type, so I have entries in there that are just standard passwords, credit cards, etc. I have to create new entries for those versus being able to change the type of entry it is correct?

Correct. There isn't a way to convert items from one type to another, as they all have completely different templates. But since you're essentially still at square one, you might want to check out @MrC ’s converter. That could help you customize things a bit and make a 1PIF to get the result you want when importing. That may save you some time.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@cdtdelta ,

I don't know if you used the keypass2 converter in the converter suite - it only supports the standard Keepass 2 login types, since that's what stock Keepass 2 supports. The converter doesn't know about user created customize templates, but it is fairly easy to add them (provided the type can be determined, or differentiated from all other types, from the exported XML).

Let me know if I can help more.

• cdtdelta
    cdtdelta
    Community Member

I exported out a keepass2 xml file from my KeePass app, and then used the converter. I didn't have any custom templates, but for example I'd have a credit card entry, and the information about the card would be in the "Advanced" section of the KeePass entry. After the export/import it shows up as a note in 1Password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018

@cdtdelta ,

The keepass2 converter works by examining the Field names of a record. A field name of URL, UserName, or Password would cause the record to be detected as a Login. Example:

<String>
            <Key>Password</Key>
            <Value ProtectInMemory="True">topsecret</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>Title</Key>
            <Value>Sample Entry #2 - Copy</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>URL</Key>
            <Value>http://keepass.info/help/kb/testform.html</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>UserName</Key>
            <Value>Sam Spade</Value>
    </String>

The converter also has a table of field names per category, and this is used to both detect the Type (aka Category) and map the export's fields to 1Password fields. This table is easy to modify, and new entries can be added.

So long as the data is in the XML, it can be read. If you want to proceed, I'll need a sanitized sample of your record types (e.g. the Advanced section that shows the field names), and the "type" of thing it is (i.e. credit card, membership, etc.).

Eg

Credit Card:

<String>
            <Key>CC Num</Key>
            <Value>5555444433332222</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>CVV</Key>
            <Value>999</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>Expires</Key>
            <Value>2/2/2019</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>Name</Key>
            <Value>Joe Blow</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>Notes</Key>
            <Value>Some notes maybe?</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>Password</Key>
            <Value ProtectInMemory="True">my secrets are mine</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>Title</Key>
            <Value>Custom Type Credit Card</Value>
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>URL</Key>
            <Value />
    </String>
    <String>
            <Key>UserName</Key>
            <Value>joe blow</Value>
    </String>

• cdtdelta
    cdtdelta
    Community Member

I can see if I can put something together, but it'll take me a bit. I did find the following when I was cleaning up my vault, looks like a KeePass template:

etm_position@exp_date: 4
    etm_position_Card holder: 3
    _etm_position_CVV: 1
    _etm_position_Number: 0
    _etm_position_PIN: 2
    _etm_template: 1
    _etm_title
    @exp_date: @exp_date
    etm_title_Card holder: Card holder
    _etm_title_CVV: CVV
    _etm_title_Number: Number
    _etm_title_PIN: PIN
    _etm_type
    @exp_date: Date Time
    _etm_type_Card holder: Inline
    _etm_type_CVV: Protected Inline
    _etm_type_Number: Inline
    _etm_type_PIN: Protected Inline

I don't know if it's helpful at all or not, but wanted to throw it out there....

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@cdtdelta ,

The converter has the ability to specify the import/export types, so if you want, you can just specify one category at a time (at your convenience). For example, if you just want to see how Credits Cards would be handled, just give me the list of Key's and their meaning (if not obvious), and I can give you a customized version of the keepass2 converter you can use to convert just Credit Cards.

The template you have above - if you can just give me the important Key names, that will save me from having to guess what each thing means.

• cdtdelta
    cdtdelta
    Community Member

I noticed over the weekend that the KeePass app (at least on *nix) has a separate section for Templates that has Credit Card, E-Mail, ID Card, Membership, Secure Note, and Wireless LAN in it. If I just export those out is that helpful (still identifying what you asked for)?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@cdtdelta ,

I don't know about this - where is it in KeePass 2?

• cdtdelta
    cdtdelta
    Community Member

No it's in KeePassX (https://www.keepassx.org/) which can export out to the KeePass 2 XML format.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018

@cdtdelta ,

Ah! You've been saying Keepass, I've been repeating keepass2, and you meant KeePassX. There are many variants based off of the original Keepass 1 and 2 app, and they are each different.

Let me take a look and get back to you.

• cdtdelta
    cdtdelta
    Community Member

Well it's the Linux client for KeePass. The 1 and 2 parts are just the database versions. If it exports out in keepass2 xml that your utility is looking for it should work. I didn't have any issues running the utility and it imported fine (I just have to clean up the duplicates)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018

@cdtdelta ,

They each have their own features and limitations. The database version doesn't tell me which pre-configured templates exist in the app itself. So I've been looking at version 2 of keepass (i.e. keepass2), and since it doesn't have ANY templates pre-installed, I couldn't figure out what you meant.

There are over a hundred variants of "Linux" (as a distribution); I stopped keeping track of what is included in any of them nearly 20 years ago.

I just downloaded KeePassX 2.03 (on Windows), and do not see any templates available. The standard KeePassX that I find (https://www.keepassx.org/) does not seem to include any.

• cdtdelta
    cdtdelta
    Community Member

Weird, then I have no idea where mine came from....I know I didn't put them in there...Unless they somehow came across when I migrated from LastPass to KeePass. But I don't think so.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@cdtdelta ,

It is possible your distribution includes a templates package for it. Which distribution and version of that distribution are you using?

• cdtdelta
    cdtdelta
    Community Member

Ubuntu 16.04

keepassx/xenial,now 2.0.2-1 amd64 [installed]
    Cross Platform Password Manager

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@cdtdelta ,

I have Ubuntu 17.10 in a VM, and just installed KeePassX. There are no templates, no mention of templates, nor template capabilities that I can find.

And I don't see any additional keepass-related templates in your xenial release either. You can check:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/utils/

• cdtdelta
    cdtdelta
    Community Member

Ok then I have no idea where they came from. I definitely didn't make them, I wouldn't have put as much work into it as is there.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I wish I knew. I've also done a web search for the field name strings you mentioned above (e.g. _etm_template, with variations), and find nothing.

So, stepping back. Let's ignore where they came from. All we need to know are the list of Field labels for each Type (Category).

This discussion has been closed.