Feature Request: Reword "Lock when the main window is closed"

Options
invalidptr
invalidptr
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Regarding Preferences > Security > Auto-Lock > "Lock when the main window is closed"

Reading this thread has lead to some clarity in what I'm looking for and how to balance that with other users needs. Currently 1P6 and 1P7 works the same. @Lars reminded me a lot of novice users get to the window underneath the current one by closing the one on top. The problem is further exacerbated by the fact clicking close on the main window closes 1P. I realize macOS has strongly said developers need to close the app when no windows are present. In the novice user's mind, clicking back on 1Password isn't relaunching the app but just reopening the main window (sigh) - hence the current behavior.

As a long time macOS user, I never think to close the main window of any application which had me scratching my head at what "Lock when the main window is closed" was getting at.

In light of all this, we're struggling with novice/proficient users expectations/understanding. I wonder if a compromise would work. Change the text from "Lock when the main window is closed" to "Lock when the main window is closed or when app exits"

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @invalidptr. Frankly we don’t get a lot of feedback about these preferences — I suspect the vast majority of users never fiddle with them. I could see making a change if there is a fair amount of confusion but at this stage it doesn’t seem that is the case. We’ll continue to evaluate though and see if perhaps more indication of confusion or further feedback comes in. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• invalidptr
    invalidptr
    Community Member
    Options

What got me to write this was I quit the app and restarted it and it wasn't locked and I was like "what's up with that?"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think the confusion lies in the fact that 1Password intentionally works a bit different to most apps. Since most people want to be able to use 1Password in their browser even if the main window is closed, we have 1Password mini run in the background (and menu bar). So, by default, 1Password does not close completely when you close the window, as most folks would find it confusing and frustrating then when nothing happened when they tried to access it in their browser afterward. But of course if you do quit 1Password completely (⌘ ⌃ ⌥ Q) it has to lock, as there's nothing left to keep it open. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.