Hide passwords in search results?

rlf
rlf
Community Member

Is there any way to exclude "Password" items (i.e. the items that have a key icon) when searching 1Password? 90% of the time, when I search 1P, I'm looking for a Login item. So when I do a search, since each login has a password associated with it, I get a huge amount of redundancy in the results as I see both a login item and a password item (and even then, they aren't always sequential, i.e. next to each other, which makes the search results even more confusing). This redundancy is probably one of my three biggest gripes about 1P. Is there any way to filter out these password items when I search? What would help is if one could enter the a search string "Gmail:l" and just see Login items versus "Gmail:p" and just see Password items. Thanks for your response.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:hide passwords in search results

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlf

Is there any way to exclude "Password" items [...] when searching 1Password?

Yep! Use the Search Options feature: https://support.1password.com/search-1password/#search-options

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member

Search Options don't appear to solve this problem as the various Categories such as Logins, Secure Notes, etc. are not included in the search options that are displayed when you click the pulldown menu (where it says "Title").

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlf - That's not search options, that's sort options. To get search options you'll want to click the magnifying glass to the left of the actual bar. You should be able to find it from there. Let us know if you continue to have trouble, however. :)

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member

My bad. I see what you mean now. Even still, for my purposes, this isn't a great solution as it requires two clicks, one to select Logins and then another to click "contains" so that the search reads "Search Logins > Title contains (some title)." I do this type of search way to often to go to this much effort.

My over-arching point is that if you look at all the categories, only Logins and Passwords are highly redundant in the sense that each Login record will contain the password from the record in the related Password category. Given that that's the case, it would be convenient if there were a setting that would say, "If I'm searching all items either show me Login records or Password records but not both." But this is just me and I don't expect that the developers would ever seriously consider this. But the fact remains that doing a "Search: All Items" results in a lot of redundancy. Thanks for your answer.

• My over-arching point is that if you look at all the categories, only Logins and Passwords are highly redundant in the sense that each Login record will contain the password from the record in the related Password category.

That used to be true, but should no longer be the case. Can you please confirm that newly saved login items with a 1Password generated password also have a corresponding password item? They should not.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.