1Password on my iPhone no longer recognizes what I know is the valid password, and will not open.

Options
estivi
estivi
Community Member

I cannot get 1Password to open on my iPhone SE. The iOS version is 11.2.6. I will be glad to supply any further information requested. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search: 1Password on my iPhone no longer recognizes what I know is the valid password, and will not open.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @estivi

Do you have 1Password on your iPhone set up to sync your 1Password data, or are you using a 1Password membership? If you have not been using a membership have you been backing up your data? Are you able to access your 1Password data on any other devices?

Please let us know.

Ben

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the slow response. I was just able to backup my data onto my computer (I can see the backup file on my computer with today's date) but still cannot access it on my phone.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @estivi,

No worries, and thanks for the update... but could you please answer each of the questions I asked above? Direct answers to each of those questions will help me point you in the right direction for your situation.

Thank you.

Ben

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I was syncing the data.

2. Not as often as I should, I'll admit, but yes.

3. Yesterday I was able to open my Windows desktop version of 1Password. I ran the backup function and could see that a new backup with yesterday's date had been created, but could not figure out how to open it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@estivi: Are you able to access your 1Password data on your computer then? If you've gotten things out of sync, perhaps the best approach is to sync all of the data over from the computer from scratch. Let me know if that works for you. I'll still need to know the sync method you were using though.

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

I sync to my computer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sync all of the data over from the computer from scratch." I can do a backup of the iPhone's data, but the password no longer works on the iPhone version of 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@estivi: Where do you have all of your 1Password data currently accessible?

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry, I thought I'd already responded to this message. I've backed up all my 1Password data on my desktop computer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@estivi: No worries! Thanks for getting back to me. I understand from your earlier comments that you have saved a backup of your 1Password data on your computer, but what I'd like to know is if you have your 1Password data accessible to you there — e.g. are you able to open 1Password for Windows and view your passwords, etc? Also, have you been syncing your 1Password data between devices using Dropbox, or another method? I'm trying to get a sense for what options there might be to recover your data if it's damaged on your iPhone. Thanks in advance!

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

I can open 1Password for Windows and find recent backups, but they all seem to have data from three years ago. I was not doing more regular backups because I thought a backup was being done every time I synced my iPhone. I guess that's incorrect. So I see backups, but like I say, and can see what they contain, but the data inside is mostly stale. To be honest, I find the difference between accessing a backup and accessing data to be confusing.

I'm not sure this is really giving you the answer to your question. Please let me know.

One possibility that occurred to me would be to delete the 1Password app on my phone and restore the data from a backup on my desktop. Would that work?

Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can open 1Password for Windows and find recent backups, but they all seem to have data from three years ago.

@estivi: The 1Password desktop apps save backups of the data stored there. So if you have data there from three years ago, that will also be the age of the backups. A new backup would only be saved if you'd made a change in 1Password for Windows.

I was not doing more regular backups because I thought a backup was being done every time I synced my iPhone.

How have you been syncing?

I guess that's incorrect. So I see backups, but like I say, and can see what they contain, but the data inside is mostly stale. To be honest, I find the difference between accessing a backup and accessing data to be confusing.

Backups are zipped archives. When I say "accessing the data in 1Password", I mean literally opening the 1Password app and entering your Master Password to unlock it. When you're referring to backups, what exactly do you have? What are the filenames?

I'm not sure this is really giving you the answer to your question. Please let me know. One possibility that occurred to me would be to delete the 1Password app on my phone and restore the data from a backup on my desktop. Would that work? Thanks for your help.

That's what I'd like to have you do, but I'd like to establish where you have a current copy of your data. If that's only on your phone, deleting the app would wipe that out. And I'm not sure that's a great option. Hopefully it's not the only one.

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

I fortunately, based on years of computer experience, don't rely on a single storage place for important data. I have most of the same information stored in a different place. I could reenter much of it by hand if necessary, and could start by restoring from the desktop backup.

By the way, any idea how this happened? One day the master password just stopped working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I fortunately, based on years of computer experience, don't rely on a single storage place for important data. I have most of the same information stored in a different place. I could reenter much of it by hand if necessary, and could start by restoring from the desktop backup.

@estivi: That sounds like good news, but I'd hate for you to have to re-enter everything manually. Can you tell me where you have the data and what format it's in?

By the way, any idea how this happened? One day the master password just stopped working.

Having no information about what's transpired on your device I can't say for certain, except to say that from experience and based on the way that 1Password works the possible causes are entering the password incorrectly (wrong vault, wrong input method, etc.) or data corruption. 1Password doesn't know or care what the Master Password is; it's merely using it as an input to encrypt the data in the first place, and again as an input to decrypt it. I know that's not very helpful, but that's the only answer I have for you. :blush:

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

brenty, I'm sorry, my browser obviously has me bumfoozled, because I thought I had responded to your message. Let me try again.

The data is in a .doc file on my home computer.

I only have about fifty passwords, most of which I use infrequently, so re-entering them by hand is doable.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@estivi: No need to apologize. You did the right thing by getting in touch! I apologize for misunderstanding though. I was under the impression that you had a copy or backup saved from 1Password. If they're only in a Word document, you would need to enter them manually into 1Password, but 50 does seem fairly manageable. I'm sorry for the trouble you've had, and in the future if you backup your data it will be easier to recover if something gets damaged.

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

I do have a backup on my computer using the 1Password Windows program. I misunderstood what you were asking. Is the solution then to delete and reinstall the app on my phone and restore the backup?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@estivi: Great! What format is the backup in? And what version of 1Password are you using on the PC?

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

The backup is in agilekeychain_zip format. The 1Password version on the PC is 4.6.2.626.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@estivi: Fantastic! Rename that from .agilekeychain_zip to .zip, and then you can extract an actual AgileKeychain vault from it. This can be opened directly in 1Password for Windows version 4 (from the File menu), and sync'd via Dropbox to be used by 1Password for iOS as well. Let me know how it goes! :)

• alkhaja
    alkhaja
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty
    Hi Brenty

I have a similar problem, my 1password app is not recognizing my masterpassword and i am not able to access it through the website i dont think i have a membership however ive been using the app for many years, i was depending on my fingerprint login access however suddenly it asked me for my master password and i cant remeber is nor can remeber my password hint.

What is the best way to get my data, i think i have a back up on drop box under a folderr called 1password.

Do u have a way to extract the data.

I just need my data back

• alkhaja
    alkhaja
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    The back up files i found in my drop box are .js format

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alkhaja: You will not be able to access your data without the Master Password. The one you setup for it is needed to decrypt it. There's no way around that. That applies to the data in the app, and whatever your have in Dropbox too.

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither access to your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.

• alkhaja
    alkhaja
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

Thank you Brenty, at last after many trys i figured out my master password. I already took a back up on the data i have in 1password and save it somewhere else.

Thank you once again.

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

brenty, renaming the backup file was easy. I then tried deleting and re-downloading the app. I still have the original problem: it says that the master password that I am entering is invalid. What do I try now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alkhaja: Thanks so much for the update! I'm glad to hear that you were about to remember it. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you have any other questions. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@estivi: You'll need to enter the correct Master Password. 1Password doesn't know what your Master Password is. It isn't stored anywhere. The Master Password is simply used as an input to encrypt the data, and therefore the exact same input is required to decrypt it. The suggestions in the guide I linked earlier may help:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If they do not, the only possibilities are that you're simply not entering the Master Password correctly, or the data is damaged and cannot be decrypted. Restoring from a different backup may help. Just keep in mind that the Master Password used at that time will be the one needed to decrypt it, in case you'd changed it later.

This discussion has been closed.