can I move items from one category to another

Options
RGMacomber
RGMacomber
Community Member

Hi - not sure where this fits - but i am wondering - I originally put some items in the category "Memberships" but I now think they fit better and be more logical as "Secure Notes" (I find that the pre-set categories don't quite work for several of the items I want to load in 1PW) - can I move the entry (its specific content) from "memberships" over into "secure Notes"?

Thanks very much

Gary Macomber

1Password Version: 7 beta - 8
Extension Version: 7 beta - 8
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:categories

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Gary ( @RGMacomber ),

Thanks for taking the time to write in. The short answer here is no: it isn’t possible to move items from one category to another. The slighly longer answer is that not only are categories an organizational tool but they also define what fields an item will have. For example a Login item will have a username, password, website, etc. whereas a Bank Account item will have a bank name, routing number, account number, PIN, etc. Moving a Login item to the Bank Accounts category is problematic because the login will have none of the information to fill in the bank accounts template and will have fields that don’t fit there.

The only way to really do this now would be to create a new item of the desired category and then copy & paste relevent information from the old item to the new.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• RGMacomber
    RGMacomber
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. Thought this might well be the case b/c of the architecture.

One more, if I may - is there a way to open (and keep open) the existing entry and the window in the new category to make this transfer a bit easier?

thanks for your quick and thorough responses. Great service!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks Ben. Thought this might well be the case b/c of the architecture.

@RGMacomber: Indeed. We definitely want to make it more flexible in the future, but that will take some time as it involved 7 different apps now. :blush:

One more, if I may - is there a way to open (and keep open) the existing entry and the window in the new category to make this transfer a bit easier?

Yes! You can "anchor" an item from 1Password mini to open it in a small window. That would allow you to use it alongside the main 1Password window.

thanks for your quick and thorough responses. Great service!

Likewise, thanks for your support! On behalf of Ben, you're most welcome. Enjoy your weekend and let us know if there's anything else we can help with. :)

• RGMacomber
    RGMacomber
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks !
    Gary

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers! We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.