Checking gift card balances (Golf Galaxy)

Options

I can't figure out how to "log into" this particular website to check on balances for a couple of gift cards. Website want the account number on the gift card and its unique verification PIN. https://www.golfgalaxy.com/s/gift-cards. I tried "Save new login" but that did not work. Account number ends up in email address field. I can copy-and-paste but I was just trying to streamline the process a bit.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmb679: I was able to use 1Password to save and fill login credentials here without any trouble:

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/LogonForm

However, it sounds like that's not what you're trying to at all. If you're trying to use 1Password's login filling to fill non-login information, that's probably not going to work for you. It isn't something we design around, as 1Password is meant to fill login credentials, and so it will always be doing its best to accomplish that. We can certainly consider adding additional filling options, but for the foreseeable future login filling is our focus since that's what the vast majority of people are using 1Password for — some for that and nothing else. Probably not something you need to do every day anyway, but I appreciate you taking the time to bring up this use case.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @jmb679,

While Brenty is correct that Login items are focussed on filling sign-in forms there is a way to get 1Password to fill the fields you're after.

1. Create a new Login item from inside the main 1Password window. Set an appropriate title and enter the account number into the username field and the PIN into the password field. Lastly set the website field to https://www.golfgalaxy.com/s/gift-cards
    2. A button title show web form details should now be visible, click it.
    3. Change the username label from username to giftcard-accnum.
    4. Change the password label from password to giftcard-pinnum. Change the password field type from password to text.
    5. Click on the silhouette of the person and select the empty menu option. Do the same for the silhouette of the key.
    6. It should now look like my test Login item below.
    7. Save.

You should find this item will fill the two fields. For any secondary cards it's probably easiest to duplicate the item and then alter the values of the two fields from inside the web form details or repeat the steps above if you find that easier.

Here is what my test Login item looks like that fills the two fields for me. I hope this helps but if you're having trouble use the @ symbol and my username so that I get an alert that you've replied (like I did above to so you were alerted to this reply).

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

This works, almost. I tested on my MacBook Pro and my iPhone X. On MBP, I have three browsers: Safari, Chrome and FireFox. Fix works with Chrome and Firefox but fails with Safari. See attachment for error message. On iPhone X, fix fails with 1PW browser but works if I launch Safari, navigate to website, click the Share icon and then select 1Password option and then the login fix. In other words, fix works on iOS Safari but not desktop Safari. Or, so it appears.

Image removed by AgileBits

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

So, I have bookmarked the target Golf Galaxy website in iOS Safari. Then, all I have to do is go to the Share icon, select 1Password and then click the 1Password login item. On the MBP, I can use Chrome or Firefox. Not perfect, but OK.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @jmb679,

I hope you don't mind. I couldn't say with 100% confidence that the number displayed in that image wasn't related to a giftcard so I removed it just to be safe.

I went back and tested filling in Safari on the Mac. Both fields filled for me and it may be the error occurs only after submitting. It's odd that it would fail on Safari on the Mac but work in Chrome or Firefox and also works in iOS Safari. I have a couple of questions just to sate my curiosity.

1. With Safari on the Mac do you find it is filling both fields and that the error message only appears after you manually submit the form?
    2. Is it safe to say that if you copy and paste the values for the two fields rather than use the extension to fill that it works in Safari?
  • jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

re: "With Safari on the Mac do you find it is filling both fields and that the error message only appears after you manually submit the form?"
    Yes.

re: "Is it safe to say that if you copy and paste the values for the two fields rather than use the extension to fill that it works in Safari?"
    No. There appears to be a problem specific to macOS Safari.

Thanks for removing image for safety. Displayed number was not related to gift card and not one that I recognize. It may be an ID number for the "activity" referenced in error message?

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

Fix fails using 1PW browser.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

1PW browser on iPhone X.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmb679,

Given 1Password fills the fields correctly and there is a weird issue between this site and Safari it looks like there's not much 1Password can do here. 1Browser relies on certain iOS Safari frameworks to provide the browsing experience, indeed all iOS browsers do. I'm not sure why the site doesn't seem to like Safari much in various situations but it doesn't. At least you've found ways to make it work and 1Password can help fill the fields in the browsers that the site does like.

As a customer of theirs, it might not do any harm to let them know of the troubles you've experienced with Safari in case they're not aware.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

ok, thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:smile: Let us know if you come across any other tricky sites.

This discussion has been closed.