Prevent lockscreen on computer startup

gogreen1
gogreen1
Community Member

I had this problem and reported it in March. I solved the problem, but I don’t remember how.

How do I stop the "enter master password" window from appearing on startup? It didn't appear before this way, and began only a few days ago. Previously, 1Password showed the lock screen to enter the master password only in Safari (the behavior I want), but now, since the last few days, the lock screen appears on iMac startup.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gogreen1 - sorry for the trouble! What is it exactly that you're trying to stop from happening? Do you want 1Password not to launch at startup? Or are you trying to get it to launch with the vault(s) unlocked?

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

I want 1Password not to launch at startup (attached is what I see at startup). I want it to launch only when I invoke it in Safari.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gogreen1 - OK, thanks for the clarification. If you open your Mac's System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your username/account, and click "Login Items," do you see 1Password listed among the items set to launch at startup?

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

No. 1Password does not appear in my Login Items.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gogreen1 - OK, thanks for checking for me. Next question: do you have "reopen windows when logging back in" checked when you shut down/log out/restart?

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

"Reopen windows when logging back in" is unchecked both for restart and shutdown.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gogreen1 - OK, thanks. Do you have 1Password in your Mac's Dock? If so, please Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then drag the 1Password icon out of the Dock and restart your Mac. Let us know what happens!

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

Tried it--no difference. It doesn't matter whether 1Password is in the dock or not. It appeared again either way on restart.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gogreen1 - Hmmm. In Apple's built-in Notes app, do you have any notes that have a 1Password share URL (begins with onepassword://)?

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

I have a note in my Notes app with my 1Password Emergency Kit information, including my sign-in URL. It's locked though, and can't be viewed without opening the note with a password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Personally I'd be terrified to rely on that because it would be another password for me to remoter (or forget), but glad that works for you.

There was someone else who had a similar issue, and it turned out that they had multiple copies of 1Password, and also another app they were using to automate some things was lunching it. What on your system might be doing that? 1Password can't launch itself. :)

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

How would I check if there are multiple copies of 1Password? I don't think I have multiple copies, but it's possible, I suppose. I don't think anything else would launch 1Password, but what kinds of apps might do that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gogreen1

How would I check if there are multiple copies of 1Password?

Open a Spotlight search (the magnifying glass at the upper-right hand corner of your screen) and type in 1Password. Let it work for a minute until all of the results are in, then scroll down to the bottom and click "open in Finder." See if you have more than one 1Password item under type "Applications."

Other apps that might launch 1Password could be things like Alfred, LaunchBar -- could be keystroke managers like Keyboard Maestro or TextExpander. Might even be if you use a keystroke combination to shut down 1Password or log out. Do you?

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

Lars: I have A TON of Spotlight entries for 1Password--the applications listing is attached. Anything significant there?

I don't use Alfred, LaunchBar, Keyboard Maestro, or TextExpander. I often use a keystroke combination to shutdown, but the behavior appears whether I use the keystroke combination or not.

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

Here's the attachment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gogreen1: I'm not sure I understand what I'm looking at. Three of those seem to be the same file (date and time are identical). Where are those located on your Mac? You should really only have one copy of 1Password, in the Applications folder. Any others should be deleted. Just don't use a "cleaner" app or you may have a bad time if it deletes your data too. Restart your Mac after that and let me know if it helped.

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

Thanks, brenty. Getting back to this now. I'll delete the extras and see what happens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! Let me know how it goes. :)

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

I don't know why the Spotlight results showed four 1Password entries. Anyway, there is only one 1Password listed in the File Finder's Applications folder. I have a MacBook Air, too, in addition to my iMac, and the same happens at startup on both computers. I did set them up similarly.

• @gogreen1,

At this point I think the best way forward would be for us to get a look ‘under the hood.’ I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/88798/
    • Your forum username: gogreen1

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• gogreen1
    gogreen1
    Community Member

Here ya' go, Ben. Thank you.

ZYV-95347-735

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gogreen1: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: ZYV-95347-735

This discussion has been closed.