How can I temporarily share a single login with 1 other user?

Options
joshma
joshma
Community Member

I'd like to take 1 login and share it with 1 other user on my team. Ideally, have it "revoked" in, say, 7 days.

Right now, the only solution I can see is to create a vault, which is unwieldy if I have 30 separate items shared with 30 different people. Is this something that will be easier in the future, or a feature I'm not noticing?

Thanks!
Josh

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:temporary share

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @joshma,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. You could use the ‘send a copy’ feature to send them the item, and then change the password when you want to revoke their access (which should, as a best practice, be done even if you share a vault when them and then revoke that vault).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• joshma
    joshma
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I don't see "send a copy," is this a setting I need to enable?

• Ben
    Options

If enabled in your account the option will be in the item details in the share menu. Click the Share icon in the item details for the item you want to send a copy of and select Send a copy.... Select the person(s) you want to share with and click Done. :+1:

If the option is not enabled on your account please reach out to our business team at business@1password.com for assistance. :)

Ben

• annhammerhead
    annhammerhead
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I am "Sending a copy" to an employee -

1) Nothing is showing up on their side. What is wrong?
    2) Do they see the password or is it shared with that hidden?

Thank you.

• annhammerhead
    annhammerhead
    Community Member
    Options

Hello? Can anyone help with my question above? I have folks who are not getting passwords and they need them.

• annhammerhead
    annhammerhead
    Community Member
    Options

I am "sending a copy" of a login to employees, and they are not getting them. Is there something else I need to do? That they need to do? Nothing shows up in their vault. :/

I posted this question yesterday in another thread but have not heard anything back. HELP!

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• annhammerhead
    annhammerhead
    Community Member
    Options

I guess no one is going to get back to me. :(

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @annhammerhead, welcome to our forum! :chuffed:

When you use the "Send a copy" feature to share a copy of an item with another account member, a complete copy of that item is placed in their Personal/Private vault within the account. They will be able to see all details of that item, just as they can with any other item in their Personal/Private vault. If your team member checks their Personal/Private vault, they should be able to see it there - can they see it if they check the web interface for your account? I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions :+1:

• annhammerhead
    annhammerhead
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @john_m They have checked and it is not in the Personal/Private vault.

What else can we try?

• annhammerhead
    annhammerhead
    Community Member
    Options

And how do I share a login with the password being HIDDEN?

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@annhammerhead Hmm; let's just double-check the process you're following for sending a copy of an item to another member:

1. Open the web interface for your account
    2. Open the vault containing the item you want to send a copy of and navigate to that item
    3. Click the "Share" button under the item's title in the details pane on the right, and from the menu choose "Send a copy..."
    4. In the pop-up that appears, click the name of the person you want to send a copy of the item to, so that they get a green tick mark beside their name (you can type to search if your account has many members)
    5. Click "Send"

And that should be it; a full copy of the item will be placed in their Personal/Private vault. If your account member is still not able to see the item in their Personal/Private vault in the web interface for the account after you have done the above, let me know.

Regarding sharing an item with someone without giving them the ability to reveal password fields, this is possible with a Teams Pro or Business account. Those account types feature more granular control over the permissions for a vault. With one of these accounts, you would place the items in a shared vault, and for the group or individual that you did not want to have access to reveal passwords, you would not grant them the "Reveal passwords" permission. You can learn more about sharing permissions in our vault sharing guide here: https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults-teams/

• annhammerhead
    annhammerhead
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - I've done 1-5 several times and no passwords are showing.

We have a Teams Pro account. The vault I have these passwords in - I'm the only one with "Full Access". So when I share a password, that means the person cannot see the password?

What do we try next?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@annhammerhead: Thanks for following up. You mentioned that you're the only person with "full access", but what permissions have you granted others to access that vault? I think that may be the key. :)

• ddl
    ddl
    Community Member
    Options

I just subscribed to business account, but I can't find where I can control the access option. Can you share a screenshot of it? Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ddl: The guide John linked above goes over creating and managing permissions for vaults:

Create, share, and manage vaults in your team

Just keep in mind that you will need to be an admin to be able to do any of that. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.