Exact Match Autofill

macros
macros
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm a recent addition to the Beta, so I apologize if this has been discussed before. I did a search and didn't quite see anything recent that matched. I previously used 1P4 and upgraded my vault for the 1P7 Beta. Previously with 1P4, when I hit CTRL + \ on a site it would automatch the site and automatically populate the fields. However, since upgrading to 7, it seems only occasionally do it.

Note that these are sites that worked correctly with 1P4. Most times, it will pop up the helper screen and show there's an exact match (only 1). Then one of two things happens:

1. I click on the match and it populates (why do I need to do this if there's an exact match?).
    2.Occasionally, it will not populate no matter what I do. I have to manually go in and select the user name, copy...then paste (and the same with password).

Behavior has been consistent no matter my browser. Occurred on Opera 52.0.2871.64 (extension 4.7.0.90), Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (extension 4.7.0.90), and Edge 41.16299.371.0 (extension 4.6.12.90).

Great job so far on the beta though, it's been very stable compared to 1P4.

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: 10
Sync Type: OneDrive

Comments

• Hi @macros,

Thanks for reporting this.

Do you notice this often after unlocking 1Password? There's a known limitation that after unlocking, it does not fill automatically.

If it shows 1 exact match, can you dismiss it (esc key) and press the shortcut again, does it appear to fill?

.Occasionally, it will not populate no matter what I do. I have to manually go in and select the user name, copy...then paste (and the same with password).

Does it happen on any specific sites or random site that's intermittent?

• macros
    macros
    Community Member

@MikeT
    I just tested and it looks like it's right after unlocking. Esc and then hitting the shortcut again seems to populate it. Sorry that I never put that together, I open a lot of browser sessions so I'm typically unlocking it. Is this something that should be expected moving forward or just a current issue that should get addressed eventually?

One other item I've noticed lately. If you search for a login and click on it (to go to the site) and the site has changed (login.comcast.net has an autoredirect to login.xfinity.net), there is no ability to update the record without manually copying the new page and opening the login record in 1P. I've run into it more and more lately. It seems to continue to work if the root page stays the same (had the same thing with att.com changing their login page), but if the root domain changes...it's manual time.

This seems to be the root of what I ran into with the "not populate no matter what I do".

In Edge:
    1. Opened the Helper.
    2. Searched for Comcast.
    3. Clicked on Comcast to take me to the site (site redirected to login.xfinity.com).
    4. Click on Helper, no match.
    5. Searched for Comcast again and Clicked on it.
    6. Nothing happens, page doesn't reload.

Recreated the issue in Chrome. Doesn't seem to matter what page I go to.

1. Open helper and choose a login.
    2. Click off that page and go to another one on the site.
    3. Open helper and choose login again.
    4. Rather than redirect to the login page, nothing happens. (Recreated with ATT.com and a few other sites).

Hope that helps!

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @macros,

Sorry that I never put that together, I open a lot of browser sessions so I'm typically unlocking it. Is this something that should be expected moving forward or just a current issue that should get addressed eventually?

No need to apologize, you're helping us a lot with your feedback.

This will be fixed eventually, it's just harder to fix without redoing a large code area that we're not able to rebuild just yet.

One other item I've noticed lately. If you search for a login and click on it (to go to the site) and the site has changed (login.comcast.net has an autoredirect to login.xfinity.net), there is no ability to update the record without manually copying the new page and opening the login record in 1P.

That's intentional. Imagine if the site was hijacked and redirected you to a malicious site that intercept your credentials. You do have to manually fix this by updating the Login to have the second address added or change the primary URL address, the key here is that you need to make sure this address is correct.

• macros
    macros
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. I thought that might be intentional due to security.

What about the issue I mentioned about clicking on the same site a second time in a row not doing anything? Is that intentional? I've been able to reproduce the issue on my home machine as well (if it matters).

• Hi @macros,

What about the issue I mentioned about clicking on the same site a second time in a row not doing anything? Is that intentional? I've been able to reproduce the issue on my home machine as well (if it matters).

I'm sorry, I thought that was the same issue. You're saying you selected a different item for a different site and 1Password didn't redirect you, is that right?

• macros
    macros
    Community Member

@MikeT

Here's a better example. I have multiple accounts on some sites (one for work and one for home). Say I want to sign into both to pay a bill:

1. I go to the helper and find the login for my work account and then click on it.
    2. Everything works fine and I'm directed to the login and it's autopopulated.
    3. I'm logged in and I pay my bill.
    4. I log out and the site directs me to their logoff page.
    5. I go to helper and find the login for my home account and click on it.
    6. Nothing happens. No redirection, nothing.

This happens until I browse to a new site. Then I can use my home login and everything works.

Hopefully that helps explain it a little better.

• Hi @macros,

Yes, that helps a lot. 1Password 6+ on Windows at the moment does not support redirecting like that. It is something we plan to fix in a future update.

What you can do is defocus the browser, bring up 1Password mini via Control + Alt + \ and find that item again to open it in the current tab.

The issue is that 1Password isn't currently aware that you're not on a usable Login item, so it doesn't know you want it to redirect to the saved URL.

This discussion has been closed.