Issues with 1Password in Edge

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password 7 for Windows Beta 1 is here!.

Comments

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - after initial enthousiasm I have to say the current beta is completely not functioning on my Surface Pro. Especially in the Edge browser it only works once after a restart of the whole machine. Sometimes it works by force quitting the 1Password apps in task manager.

But also the standalone app is only starting once and the displays a nice window stating that I should have installed the newest version. but in the app it shows me that I am on the most current beta.

What should I do to make it work?

Fokke

The Netherlands

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi - after initial enthousiasm I have to say the current beta is completely not functioning on my Surface Pro. Especially in the Edge browser it only works once after a restart of the whole machine. Sometimes it works by force quitting the 1Password apps in task manager.

@kiddokay: This isn't a 1Password 7 beta issue. It's unfortunately a known issue with Edge. It simply ignores connections after suspending. You should be able to work around it by killing Edge and 1Password's processes though, rather than restarting Windows completely. We're working with Microsoft to hopefully get some more polite treatment there, but only time will tell. In the mean time, there are other great browsers that work with 1Password too. :)

But also the standalone app is only starting once and the displays a nice window stating that I should have installed the newest version. but in the app it shows me that I am on the most current beta. What should I do to make it work?

That's a new one to me. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty The behavior with Edge and the app is similar. It only starts after I force quit the app in Task Manager. The window I get is copied in. Funny thing is that I suppose this is the window I should get while starting the Extension downloaded from the appstore but I get it when starting each one. Every now and then randomly after a couple of minutes the 1password app starts.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @kiddokay,

If you terminate 1Password process, the 1Password extension in Edge can kick-start the program and when it doesn't work, it shows that window after a few minutes. Usually, we recommend that you terminate Edge first before terminating 1Password processes.

Can you tell me which Windows 10 build is installed on your PC?

You're not trying to open 1Password via Start menu, right?

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member
    Options

I am on the latest insider build. And the mentioned behavior is also happening when I start it from the start menu b

Fokke

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @kiddokay,

Unfortunately, this is a new problem with Insider builds and with upcoming 1803 update. They've changed the lifecycle for UWP processes. Instead of terminating processes, they just suspend them instead, which brings a a lot of problems.

If you restart your computer, even with Edge completely not running, Edge will be in suspended mode right away instead of not being launched at all. For some weird reasons, while Edge is suspended, it continues to run 1Password extensions and that brings up the window. 🤕

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member
    Options

That explains. Hope you will find a solution. Because when it works it is a much better experience then LastPass.

Fokke

• MikeT
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @kiddokay,

It is one of the reasons why we wish we could make 1Password X support local vaults somehow. With 1Password X, all of the information is stored within the extension itself safely, so it does not need to connect to the program itself on your computer, it connects to 1Password.com backend.

At the moment, our extension relies on a four-process structure to just connect to 1Password process on your computer (Edge only, other browsers are far better at this). Edge was never really designed to support this type of use-case with 1Password. It's why it took so long to get it supported, they added the required APIs a year ago.

We have some ideas on how to improve this in a future update, we're working with Microsoft on them. If they can make it work, we'll get it done.

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT, what other browser do you recommend on Win10 other then Chrome because that is a No Go here ?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @kiddokay,

I cannot speak for our company but for myself, I'm a huge Firefox user. They've really improved since they've switched to Quantum.

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member
    Options

Thnxs!

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.