Feedback on 1Password 7 Beta

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password 7 for Windows Beta 1 is here!.

Comments

• judbd
    judbd
    Community Member

Hi I'm a long time user of 1password, (since V3) and use V4 daily. I never updated because I certainly don't want a online mode for my passwords, neither pay a monthly fee for all the apps of my work ecosystem (srsly, this madness have to stop :D). When I saw that 1password 7 have an offline mode, bingo, i downloaded it for a try.

Sorry for my bad english, not my native language.

Here are my first impressions and bugs, some have been already reported but I don't keep track of all messages.

I use Win 10 + updated firefox quantum on 3 PCs.

Some are bugs, some are just notes (good or bad). Keep in mind that I left with 1P4.

1. Crash at OS startup: sometimes when system lauches I have a popup that says that 1password crashed. All seems good after that.
    2. Password generator: No more "ok" button to go fill the password field with the generated password
    3. Copying the generated password: doesn't work no matter what. Cutting it works (already reported I think)
    4. CC Expiry Date: Expiry date fields from old credit cards entries doesn't work anymore, and no explanations on how to edit it
    5. Password generator: No more generator in the "big app"?
    6. Subdomain detection: it seems that only the principal domain is detected when you want to fill a field, password for subdomain are not displayed
    7. Mini app focus: When in browser, mini app don't have the focus after clicking on the extension button, annoying for searching
    8. No need to log twice in the extension and in the principal app: FINALLY! GOOD! :)
    9. Username no more visible: When you right click on an entry in the mini app, you can copy all informations but not see it, So hard to tell wich account is which without seeing the username (same for credit card expiration date, wich often fail on non US websites). But I see that sometimes username is displayed directly, maybe it's only for credentials saved in 1P7.
    10. Opvault conversion: At install it's not very clear what the conversion do, neither if old vault will be saved or ovewritten.
    11. Vault suppression: If you add Vault1 then Vault2, master Password is Vault1 password. If you delete Vault1, master password is still Vault1 pswd, so you can open Vault2 with the wrong (or exposed or compromised) password.
    12. Fields translation: SOme Credit cards fields are not translated in french.
    13. Open big 1password: I'd like that the default behavior on double click on the icon tray is the openning of the big app, because right click + menu is tedious and when you click in the tray, is that you want the big app (for the mini app button you have the extension button)
    14. Question: Does the mini app can fill other thing that borwsers fields? (like filezilla or website credentials alert window?)
    15. Question: Where/when can I buy a standalone permanent licence?

Thank you very much, this version of 1password is really promising and I like the design!

• Hi @judbd,

Thanks for your feedback.

First, check for an update in 1Password, we've just released 7.0 Beta 5 update that should address some of your issues.

Crash at OS startup: sometimes when system lauches I have a popup that says that 1password crashed. All seems good after that.

How often does this happen?

Password generator: No more "ok" button to go fill the password field with the generated password

We haven't implemented this yet but it is coming in a future update.

Copying the generated password: doesn't work no matter what. Cutting it works (already reported I think)

Beta 5 should address this for you.

CC Expiry Date: Expiry date fields from old credit cards entries doesn't work anymore, and no explanations on how to edit it

Can you explain what you're seeing? We don't have any known issues with this. It should work unless you have a very old credit card template that was from a beta build of 1Password 4 that had unsupported fields.

Is it saying that the field is not supported in this version of 1Password?

Password generator: No more generator in the "big app"?

It's included in all password fields if you click on this:

Subdomain detection: it seems that only the principal domain is detected when you want to fill a field, password for subdomain are not displayed

We support subdomain matching. It should show you exact subdomain matches first under Exact matches and general domain matches under Close matches when you bring up 1Password mini on the site.

Are you seeing this issue on all sites or just a few?

Mini app focus: When in browser, mini app don't have the focus after clicking on the extension button, annoying for searching

Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce this and this doesn't affect majority of our users.

Are you using a trackpad/touchpad? Does it happen on any sites?

Username no more visible

This should be addressed now in today's Beta 5 update. What happened was that the original AgileKeychain did not have any subtitles saved, so we had to add a workaround by automatically generating them on the fly in today's update.

Opvault conversion: At install it's not very clear what the conversion do, neither if old vault will be saved or ovewritten.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll clarify this in a future update.

Vault suppression: If you add Vault1 then Vault2, master Password is Vault1 password. If you delete Vault1, master password is still Vault1 pswd, so you can open Vault2 with the wrong (or exposed or compromised) password.

This is somewhat intentional. Every vault you add will be imported into the local 1Password database, so you can switch between vaults without having to unlock first. In other words, you only need to remember one password to unlock 1Password database, hence the name.

What's not normal is that removing the first vault or the first 1Password account does not update the database to switch to the second vault/account decryption keys, so that you need to unlock with the password of the second vault/account. This will be added in a future update.

This is mentioned in our Known Issues thread.

Fields translation: SOme Credit cards fields are not translated in french.

This is a known issue, template and categories are not localized and may not be in time of the first stable release. Only the 1Password program itself is localized.

Open big 1password: I'd like that the default behavior on double click on the icon tray is the openning of the big app,

We have no plans to change this but you can control + click to open the main 1Password interface, no need to right-click to select.

Question: Does the mini app can fill other thing that borwsers fields? (like filezilla or website credentials alert window?)

Auto-Type as you may recall from 1Password 4 is not implemented but we have Type in Window that will grow into Auto-Type in time. Here's my reply on how it works.

Question: Where/when can I buy a standalone permanent licence?

Licensing isn't implemented yet in 1Password 7 Beta but it's coming soon. We'll have a big splash window talking about this.

• judbd
    judbd
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT

Crashes: How often does this happen?

= few times, like 4-5 times last week, but it seems good now.

CC expiry: Is it saying that the field is not supported in this version of 1Password?

= Yep. and yep, maybe inherited from 1password4 beta.

Generator: It's included in all password fields if you click on this:

= Yes but it's in the context of a login, and I use generator for anything (included login, to paste it beforehand and not lose it if something goes wrong in the login saving process). Independant generator is great and encourage the use of random password everywhere

Subdomain detection: Are you seeing this issue on all sites or just a few?

= Only on few domains, maybe a little bug, i'll will see.

Mini-app focus: Are you using a trackpad/touchpad? Does it happen on any sites?

= Happen on all the sites, when 1p is unlogged the focus goes in the 1p extension password field, but when i'm logged, if I click on extension and start to type, the focus is not in the search field. No trackpad. (I just checked and it seems OK with the last update)

Username no more visible: This should be addressed now in today's Beta 5 update.

= Cool!

Opvault conversion clarification

= Cool! maybe add that people have to share the opvault on dropbox angain and that agilekeychain will no more be updated (just for clarification)

you can switch between vaults without having to unlock first

= And this is a great feature, the probel is as you noted it, that you can unlock a vault with the wong password even if it's the only vault remaining.

ctrl+click for big app

Ok, weird for a windows user as the default behavior is double click in the tasbar, but works for me.

Thank you for your replies and for your great app!

• Hi @judbd,

CC expiry: Is it saying that the field is not supported in this version of 1Password?

= Yep. and yep, maybe inherited from 1password4 beta.

Would you be willing to help us with the sample, so we can see if we can fix it. None of our vaults have this issue and so we don't know how to fix this without the sample of what it looks like.

If yes, please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with the link to this thread included. Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it and confirm we recieved your email.

Yes but it's in the context of a login, and I use generator for anything (included login, to paste it beforehand and not lose it if something goes wrong in the login saving process). Independant generator is great and encourage the use of random password everywhere

I might be misunderstanding your original statement, you said no more generator in the big app, this is included right inside every single password field in all categories.

However, 1Password mini has the Strong Password Generator you're seeking. Bring up 1Password mini anywhere you are with Control + Shift + \ and click on the generator icon (second from the bottom) on the sidebar, you'll get this:

Every time you click copy, it'll be saved as Password items in your 1Password data.

Ok, weird for a windows user as the default behavior is double click in the tasbar, but works for me.

The problem is that there are two separate things you can do from the same icon, Windows can sometime misinterpret the double-click as one click but two separate times, which means it'd bring up mini and then hide it. Control + Click is more reliable this way.

This discussion has been closed.