Full keyboard support in 1Password Mini?

Options
deviantintegral
deviantintegral
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

If I need to copy a password in the Mac app (such as pasting in a terminal or other app that's not a browser), I can do it entirely from the keyboard. For example, I can press right arrow to dig into an item, then press up and down to go to the password field, and finally enter to copy it.

How do I do the same in the Windows app? I can select items, but not open their details. I'm not sure if this is a regression compared to 1P 6 as I've not used that extensively.

1Password Version: 7.0.539
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @deviantintegral,

Thanks for reporting this.

You have to press tab to shift focus from the search box to the item list below it, you'll see the selected item becomes blue. Once that happens, press Shift + F10 (the Windows 10 shortcut to bring up the shortcut menu), and you'll see the options you want.

We definitely plan to improve this on Windows in a future update, like supporting Shift + Control + C to copy the username or password right away. We're currently experiencing some difficulties trying to get shortcuts recognized in the window without having to do all of this but we'll find a way.

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member
    Options

I never knew about that keyboard command (and of course I totally forgot about the menu context key). That's perfect. Thanks!

• MikeT
    Options

You’re welcome!

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, when I open 1Password mini (version 7.0.541) and press the context menu key (or Shift+F10), I get only a menu containing Cut/Copy/Paste commands, which is very confusing. It's because the focus is on the search field by default (and this is an expected behaviour), you can select any item in the list using arrows (it's very handy), but to get a proper context menu of the item you have to press Tab key first, otherwise you get only Cut/Copy/Paste. I think the context menu activated by the keyboard from the search field should display the context menu of the selected item. Nobody wants to see the Cut/Copy/Paste context menu in that moment. That basic context menu is OK only when activated by right mouse button (e.g. for touch screens without keyboard).

I would recommend the following behaviour of the search field:
    Shift+F10 or context menu key => context menu of a selected item
    right mouse click => context menu of the search field

• MikeT
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @oksoftware,

Unfortunately, we're running into limitations of what we can do here. We cannot do context menu of something that's not focused. As the search field is always focused by default, Windows will only present the context menu of that, regardless of what may be selected below it, and this is the correct behavior. This is also partially why we have problems with keyboard shortcuts not being recognized in certain views. We're compacting too many things into one small narrow view that can only take so much.

We could try forcing the selected item to be focused and then present the context menu but focusing is very fragile and can cause more problems.

We have plans to redesign 1Password mini completely in the future, this is one of the areas that we need to address.

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for information, I can live with it :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nevertheless, thanks so much for your feedback, and for participating in the beta. We'll continue to work to make 1Password better in every way we can. :)

This discussion has been closed.