1Password 7 encodes exported files in ANSI

Hi!

Today I'm exported some items from my 1Password for Windows app and noticed that exported files (both TXT and CSV) are encoded in ANSI. I think it's a very strange selection of encoding since vault entries could include some non-ANSI characters (in Secure Notes, for example, it's very possible) which could be permanently lost during export. Also, there could problems with importing these files to another programs since many of them assume that TXT and CSV files should be encoded in UTF-8. I've noticed that even Notepad++ cannot correctly display entries with Cyrillic characters in them.

I don't know whether this a bug or was intended as a feature, but it should be changed and encoding should be set to UTF-8, since it's a de facto standard for any text-based files.

1Password Version: 7.0.539
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• @Luc123: Exports in general need some attention on the Windows side of things. While I can't speak to encoding specifically, exports are definitely slated for some significant improvements. I don't want to promise them for the first stable 1Password 7 release as I'm not personally aware of where they fall on the priority list, but their shortcomings are definitely something the development team is aware of and planning to address. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.