linking document to existing login(s) [Available in 1Password 7 Beta for Windows]

raahh
raahh
Community Member
edited April 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,
Is there a way to attach/link a document I've uploaded such as a PDF to an existing login?
as it is I only see a way to upload a document but it remains in 'documents' and there's no way to link it to an existing login

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: windows 10 x 64
Sync Type: desktop and chrome

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @raahh,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password!

Linking your documents to existing Login items is available in the latest beta of 1Password 7 for Windows:

Introducing 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you. There is a ton of improvements, so I hope you will like it. :)

Thanks again. Have a great Sunday!

Cheers,
    Greg

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

Hi Greg,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Are there any special install/uninstall instructions for 1Password 7 beta for windows?
    I already have an existing version installed. Do I need to uninstall that one before
    installing 7 beta or just install over it?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @raahh,

You can uninstall the current version of 1Password 6 and install 1Password 7 Beta after that. Your data is stored separately from the app, so it won't be affected. 1Password 7 Beta should find it after you install it.

Let us know how it goes. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

Hi Greg,
    Having trouble. I uninstalled the previous version of 1pass on my PC
    and tried installing the new beta but it's not showing up in my Programs List, even though it went through the installation process and it said it's installed. Plus the chrome extension isn't working now either. I've tried rebooting several times and shutting down my PC.
    I think I'm going to go back to the previous version, at least it was working.
    The chrome extension says the following when I click on it through chrome:_
    Looking for the 1Password helper
    The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly.

Couldn’t connect to 1Password
    Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension. Follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us.

we use a family account if that helps.

if i login to 1password.com and 'get the apps' the beta version isn't listed there.

_

• @raahh: I think the Chrome extension issue will resolve itself once you have 1Password 7 up and running. That message is one you'll typically see when the desktop app isn't running and the extension is unable to launch it. Copy this %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\7, then open start and press Ctrl + V to paste and search. This is the directory where the 1Password 7 app is stored, so you should see a folder listed at the top of your search results if the installation was successful. If you do, great! Press enter to open that folder. You can then double click 1Password in this folder to launch it. Restart Chrome and your extension should be all set.

If you don't see a proper search result, that likely means the installation wasn't successful. I'd wager this is what happened as 1Password should launch when you start Windows by default if everything went well. My first suggestion in this case would be to call a mulligan and give it another try. The installer should be in your downloads folder so you can save yourself the trouble of downloading it again. Of course, if you're still having trouble after a do-over, let us know. :chuffed:

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

@bundtkate Thank you for replying and the suggestions. I don't see a search result for %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\7
    I'm logged in using a MS account (it's administrator). Do I need to be logged in as a local administrator to uninstall/install?
    and if so, will that install 1pass for ever user on the PC?
    Once I have an answer I'll try uninstalling and re-installing.
    p.s. 'call a mulligan' never heard that before, thanks for enlightening me.

• @raahh: Actually, 1Password is installed in your user folder by design and doesn't require administrator rights at all. In fact, you shouldn't install or run 1Password as administrator. Let's say more than one person uses your PC and you each use 1Password. It may be that you share your 1Password data and that's fine if that's what you want to do, but most folks have data relevant only to them that they want to keep private. By installing 1Password in your user folder and storing your local data and settings there, each person who uses your PC can have their own, separate, data and settings for 1Password. When you sign in to your Windows user, your 1Password unlocks with your Master Password and displays your data. If another member of your household has their own Windows user profile, 1Password will unlock with their Master Password and display their data on their profile. If 1Password installed for everyone, this wouldn't be possible. You'd be required to share all of your data, or sign out of the app completely each time someone else wanted to use it and that's not a convenient experience at all.

So what does this mean for you installing 1Password 7? You'll want to install 1Password while signed into Windows as the user you want it installed for. So sign in with the account you use regularly and install 1Password there. 👍

And I'm more than happy to share "mulligan" with you. I'm not a golfer myself (large metal sticks are dangerous for uncoordinated folks like myself), but it is somewhat ubiquitous here in the U.S. and hard to avoid the terminology. Hope the mulligan serves you well and you're able to install successfully. 😊

• dnshome
    dnshome
    Community Member

Hi, couple of items, 1 any plans to add the tags to the browser extensions, I really miss that past feature; and 2, can't view the attached documents from the login item on the windows app, have to make note of the document and then go open the document in the documents folder within the app. I'm running W10x64 and Firefox 59.0.2 (64-bit).
    Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@dnshome:

We have plans to improve 1Password mini and 1Password extension, so please stay tuned for our future updates. :chuffed: As for your second question, are you using 1Password 6 or 1Password 7 Beta? As I've mentioned above, linking to your documents is not available in 1Password 6. Please let me know if it helps.

Cheers,
    Greg

• dnshome
    dnshome
    Community Member

Hi Greg,
    Using the beta 7.0.532, Coming from v. 4 I was excited when I was able to link docs again but am disheartened by what happens when you click that document link within the login card. It goes by default to your first login card, not to the documents folder and document. What would be even slicker would be to see it within the original login card if it is a jpeg file. Just a thought.

• dnshome
    dnshome
    Community Member

Hi Greg - just got the new update 7.0.539 for the windows app and the document linking works great now.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dnshome,

Wonderful news! :chuffed: :+1: 1Password 7 is still in beta, so there might be some issues. We are working really hard to improve it though. Please let us know if you notice anything else, your feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Greg

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

@bundtkate , Hey Kate, installed the beta for win as non-admin and it's working great now! thanks for your help.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@raahh: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :+1: I am glad to hear it works better now.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

@Greg Thank you to you as well, Greg. Appreciate the help in the beginning.

• @raahh: On behalf of Greg, you're most welcome as well! I hope you enjoy the beta and we're here for you if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.