1Password 7 Beta 6 for Windows is here!

Hey folks,

1Password 7 Beta 6 (7.0.540)

[NEW] New attachments can now be added to standalone vaults. {OPW-1452, OPW-2049, OPW-2125}
[FIXED] 1Password could not directly fill a single Login item after unlocking or after the initial launch of 1Password. {OPW-1697, OPW-2123}

1Password 7 Beta 5 (7.0.539)

It's been a while since our last beta update but it's worth the wait. Today's update has a lot of new stuff in it, including the ability to create new standalone vaults now, brand new lock view, and more you can find below.

[NEW] 1Password Lock view has been redesigned completely; updated lock/unlock animations, the blue circle spin effect, new incorrect Master Password alert colors, the addition of the lock button, and a new Windows Hello button style. {OPW-1872}
[NEW] Nested tags are now collapsible on the sidebar. Single-click on the arrow to expand or collapse the tag or double-click on the tag itself to do the same. We're planning to switch the latter to single-click in a future update. {OPW-1875, OPW-2033}
[NEW] 1Password now lets you create new standalone vaults via 1Password menu > New vault on this PC. {OPW-1475}
[NEW] You can now opt-out of Windows Hello via 1Password Security settings.
[NEW] Chinese Simplified (简体中文) and Chinese Traditional (繁體中文) translations are available.
[NEW] View menu has been added to the titlebar to enable various display settings such as concealing passwords, show Rich Icons and more. {OPW-1898}
[NEW] In the 1Password sidebar for vaults, you can now click on the more (***) button to manage the vault settings such as as enabling/disabling sync, removing them, and revealing standalone vaults in File Explorer. {OPW-1965}
[NEW] You can now enable sync for standalone vaults by expanding the vault menu and click on *** or right-click to select Enable Sync. {OPW-2092}
[IMPROVED] 1Password vault selector is now integrated with the sidebar and comes with a nice animation effect to slide up and down.
[IMPROVED] The vault selector button has been updated to split the vault information in two lines; it now shows how many vaults are in All Vaults or in a specific 1Password account. It also now badges the account avatar on the vault.
[IMPROVED] Trash has been moved from the Categories section to the bottom of the sidebar. {OPW-1560}
[IMPROVED] New look for the hover/selection on the sidebar and item list. {OPW-2083}
[IMPROVED] Favorites no longer include item list sort headers, it is now a streamlined list. {OPW-1783}
[IMPROVED] Sidebar is now accessible from the top to the bottom with the keyboard control only. {OPW-1977}
[IMPROVED] The share button that was originally in the item list has been moved to the Item list as a submenu.
[IMPROVED] The Edit/Save/Cancel/Move to Trash buttons in the item details viewer and editors has been redesigned. {OPW-1521}
[IMPROVED] 1Password includes a modern File Explorer with helpful messages when opening standalone vaults and/or creating new external OPVault folders. {OPW-2034}
[IMPROVED] 1Password now alerts if you're opening a standalone vault that has the same name of existing vaults already added to 1Password, it now lets you rename them in the new File Explorer dialog. {OPW-2054, OPW-2039}
[IMPROVED] 1Password now backs up standalone vaults to its own backup directory (%LOCALAPPDATA%\ 1Password\backups\), instead of alongside each vaults from Beta 1. This will prevent using up your third party cloud service storage limit if your vaults are stored in their cloud folders. {OPW-2040}
[IMPROVED] Improved the wording used for incorrect multi-factor authentication code. {OPW-2023}
[IMPROVED] 1Password will display an icon on its titlebar if it cannot sync to 1Password.com. {OPW-962}
[IMPROVED] 1Password now supports importing legacy templates from 1Password 1-4 for Windows and 1Password 3 for macOS. If you've already opened your AgileKeychain vaults with items created prior to 2015, you'll need to open the original AgileKeychain vault again and convert it to benefit from this improved support. {OPW-62}
[IMPROVED] 1Password should be more reliable at scrolling the item list to the selected items after making changes. {OPW-2078}
[IMPROVED] Improved the diagnostics report tool to record certain processes known to break syncing in 1Password. {OPW-2025}
[FIXED] Security Audit did not include all categories when searching for Duplicate Passwords. {OPW-2064}
[FIXED] No more gaps between 1Password and the monitor's boundary when snapping 1Password to the sides or maximizing it. {OPW-2035}
[FIXED] 1Password should snap to the side(s) and/or be maximized correctly on multiple monitors now. {OPW-2035}
[FIXED] Item subtitles (second row below the title in item list) are now generated on the fly for imported items that did not originally include a saved subtitle. {OPW-2044, 2105}
[FIXED] Clicking on a Related Item didn't consistently select it in the item list nor show the details for it. {OPW-2046}
[FIXED] 1Password mini did not have a border nor the border shadow. {OPW-2080}
[FIXED] Restored missing checkmark next to Show in All Vaults when right-clicking on the vault in the vault selector. {OPW-1963}
[FIXED] Certain unsigned browsers caused 1Password Native Messaging Host processes to crash. {OPW-2027}
[FIXED] When exporting to CSV files, certain characters were not encoded properly which resulted into inconsistent data structures. {OPW-2019}
[FIXED] Improved the security of requesting Rich Icons.
[FIXED] Type in Window wasn't Unicode-friendly when showing app windows that had unicode characters. {OPW-2021}
[FIXED] Removed the max width from the device menu in the Duo dialog as it may hide the dropdown indicator on the far right.
[FIXED] It is now possible to remove the old local vaults that was originally created back in 1Password 6.0-6.3. Be sure to have the original vault saved before removing these vaults as they're not backed up. If you do not have the original vault, contact 1Password Support first. {OPW-1892}
[FIXED] Pruned the old browsers from our extension support list. {OPW-1885}
[FIXED] The "expiration date" field for Driver License items and "member since" field in Reward items were not included when converted to OPVault. {OPW-62}
[FIXED] When adding a second or more standalone vaults, the default Vault for Saving setting would reset to no vault shown. This resulted in 1Password Password Generator incapable of saving new Password items. {OPW-2076}
[FIXED] Worked around an OutofMemory issue due to certain proxy setups. {OPW-2087}

Comments

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Great release! One thing I don't understand is what the Item -> Share feature does or supposed to do.

An option to open the full 1Password app instead of mini for the tray icon would be nice.

Also a close button for the settings menu, being able to click anywhere else to close it, is not quite obvious.

Also an option to merge entries when multi-selecting more than one would be cool. Especially with the new Android implementation that usually creates a new entry per app name. Being able to link those up with website logins would be cool. Bonus points: A wizard that finds duplicates and lets you merge in bulk, or by hand.

• Hi @Stanzilla,

Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I don't understand is what the Item -> Share feature does or supposed to do.

That is currently missing a message that says that no items have been selected yet or there is no other vault to copy/move items to.

This menu is for copying/moving your items to another vault. If you right-click on the item in the item list and expand the Share menu, you'll see a list of vaults that you can copy/move it to.

If you only have one vault, then this Share menu is not very usable. We'll look into hiding it for one-vault users.

An option to open the full 1Password app instead of mini for the tray icon would be nice.

You can control + click to open the main 1Password window instead of mini. We do not plan to add an extra setting here.

Also a close button for the settings menu, being able to click anywhere else to close it, is not quite obvious.

You can also press the ESC key to dismiss this. This is an increasingly common view on Windows 10 and most of them do not have a close button either. We'll see if we can make it more intuitive in a future update.

Also an option to merge entries when multi-selecting more than one would be cool. Especially with the new Android implementation that usually creates a new entry per app name. Being able to link those up with website logins would be cool

Do you mean as Related Items? We have it implemented for 1Password.com accounts but standalone vaults will not get this feature.

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

This menu is for copying/moving your items to another vault. If you right-click on the item in the item list and expand the Share menu, you'll see a list of vaults that you can copy/move it to.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification

You can control + click to open the main 1Password window instead of mini. We do not plan to add an extra setting here.

ok :(

Do you mean as Related Items? We have it implemented for 1Password.com accounts but standalone vaults will not get this feature.

Yeah and ok, sad :(

• Keifer
    Keifer
    Community Member

This release is a home run! The new UI / UX design is spectacular! It’s everything I’ve ever wanted - including some fixes for how the Favorites are displayed.

This plus the Microsoft Edge extension support makes this release a 10/10!

Really great job all - I can’t wait till this change goes live for the rest of the world to enjoy!

• Hi guys,

@Keifer,

Wow, we're really happy to hear that and thank you for the awesome feedback. The best part is? We're not done by a long shot, we already have a whole year of updates planned.

@Stanzilla,

Yeah and ok, sad :(

I'll pass it on though to our team. Related Items works slightly differently between both vault structures.

What you could do for now, is tag the items together. We do support nested tags, so you could make them really unique without taking too much space and we could look at making tags linkable, so that you're taken to the tag list by clicking on the said tag in the item's details.

• @Keifer Thank you very much indeed kind sir, one cup of coffee or over the top cocktail of your choice on me! :chuffed:

• Yvo
    Yvo
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hi, nice work on the new beta!

I was really puzzled why one of my items was showing in regular 1Password but not in 1Password mini. I noticed that if an item is marked as "never display in browser" it has the side effect of not showing up in 1Password mini.

Could you please fix that?

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @Yvo,

Thanks for writing in.

I noticed that if an item is marked as "never display in browser" it has the side effect of not showing up in 1Password mini.

That's intentional. The setting actually means not to display this in 1Password mini (1Password browser extensions). I'll pass it on to our docs team to see if we can rename it to 1Password mini.

• Yvo
    Yvo
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hi @MikeT

Ah ok. I believe the MacOS version does show the item in 1Password mini.
    I'll boot to MacOS later and double check.

Would be good to have the same experience under Windows and MacOS.

• Keifer
    Keifer
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

While I am enjoying this new release, I did want to report some unexpected behavior that has been present in the last several versions related to the 1Password extension / autofill asking you to click on an item even if there's only 1 possible match.

I reported this issue a year or two ago and it had been fixed, but the behavior started cropping up again and I wasn't sure if ya'll were aware of it - see below screenshot.

When starting the PC for the first time (and you may not have logged into 1Password), doing the ctrl + / to autofill prompts you to log into the 1Password mini - then, after logging into this to unlock the vault, it asks you to click on the item (even when there's only one match).

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

It's highly unstable on my system (Windows 7). Keeps crashing every couple of minutes. I have submitted the crash reports.

Also it feels a bit slower than the stable 6 version.

Can I safely reinstall 1password 6 again?

Cheers,
    Marnix

• Hi guys,

@Yvo,

1Password for macOS should be doing the same thing unless they changed it for 1Password 7 Beta for macOS. I'll check in with the macOS team to make sure we haven't changed anything recently with this.

I did test this, 1Password on macOS doesn't show any matches that is set to be hidden. However, searching while you're not on that site may return that item. This isn't something we can support at the moment on Windows when you need it outside of the website matches. In addition, this is one of the features we want to remove on all platforms because it causes quite a bit of confusion.

@Keifer,

When starting the PC for the first time (and you may not have logged into 1Password), doing the ctrl + / to autofill prompts you to log into the 1Password mini - then, after logging into this to unlock the vault, it asks you to click on the item (even when there's only one match).

It was originally fixed back in 6.3 or so, but regressed again in later updates. We have not fixed this and this is problematic in the stable versions of 1Password 6 as well. This won't be fixed in time for 1Password 7.0 stable release but it is planned for a future update.

You'd want to press ESC to dismiss the 1Password mini and do the shortcut again to directly fill the exact match.

@Marnix,

It's highly unstable on my system (Windows 7). Keeps crashing every couple of minutes. I have submitted the crash reports.

I'm sorry to hear that but we haven't seen any crash reports from you. Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report: use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Also it feels a bit slower than the stable 6 version.

It may be because of whatever's causing the crasher, it sounds like something is overflowing like full of looping errors.

Can I safely reinstall 1password 6 again?

We do not recommend it, you'd have to also rename the internal database folder first before you reinstall 1Password 6, and sign in to get a fresh set of data.

The best thing to do is wait for us to look at your report and we can explain how you can revert to 1Password 6 safely.

• jamcat22
    jamcat22
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Love the new release!

I have a few notes and questions (let me know if I should make any/all of these separate discussions or if they belong somewhere else and I'd be happy to move them):

Zoom

It appears the "Zoom" option does not affect the following:

• Account names shown in the Vaults menu
    • Headers in the Settings and Import menus
    • Tabs in the Settings menu
    • Descriptions in the Settings and Import menus
    • Most non-native dropdowns outside of the Settings menu
    • Native dropdowns
    • Title on the local vault creation page
    • The "Sign in to another account" page
    • Text on the "Set up other devices" page

Zoom also appears to have some overflow issues with buttons and title text in the Settings menu as shown below:
    Screenshot of Start 1Password automatically... overflow in Settings
    Screenshot of Show Release Notes button overflow in Settings

I'm so excited for the zoom feature, and I totally get that it's in the early stages. Just wanted to help find some of the little issues so it works across the entire application. It's definitely going to help out some of my parents and grandparents who use 1Password. :smile:

Selecting items from the list

I've found a bug where if 1Password is closed with an item selected then re-opened, the item will appear to be selected in the item list but will not appear in the details view. Clicking on the item does not open the item in the details view, and you must select a different item then reselect the original item to get details to appear. This is shown in the screenshot below:
    Screenshot of the main 1Password view with a selected item highlighted blue but no details are displayed

Additionally, the ability to press the "Esc" key to deselect a selected item would be appreciated. There are many times where I do not want to close the 1Password window, but I also don't want an item to be displayed on my screen.

Tags

A persistent bug exists where when trying to remove tags from a large number of items, the tags will be removed from all of the items, then once offline changes are synced, the tags reappear for some of the items. I keep having to fight with the program to fully remove the tags. :lol:
    See this GIF for an example (waiting sequences shortened):
    Demonstration of tags not being removed properly after syncing

I'm going through the process of renaming ~20 tags to work with the nested layout, and having to repeat the removal process for the old tag between 2-6 times depending on the number of items is a little discouraging.

Miscellaneous

• Moving from a view (e.g. Logins) to another view (e.g. All items) with an item selected that is present in both views should not deselect the item.
    • Moving from an item (e.g. SSO [Work]) to a related item (e.g. Google [Work]) that is present in both views (e.g. a search for "Work" or a tag called "Work") should not change the view.
    • The Item -> Share menu should be grayed out when no items are selected.
    • In Settings, the option for rich icons is titled "Use rich icons" while in the View menu it is titled "Show rich icons"
    • Placement of the "Related Items" section is inconsistent between items.
    • It would be nice if the header displayed at the top of a sorting category in the list were sticky (iOS 1PW is a great example).
    • Search results appear to not include queries that match a field's label.

Thanks for creating such an awesome app. Y'all do an amazing job!

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member

@MikeT if you did not receive my crash reports then I guess the following button doesn't work :-)

I will sent the crash report to the said email address.

It's also related to support case [#HPA-76765-246]

Cheers,
    Marnix

• mscrivo
    mscrivo
    Community Member

The new beta looks great, I have one minor point of contention. I had gotten used to having to pressing the combination of Tab-Enter-PIN-Enter to unlock. With the latest UI changes, it now requires 2 tabs to get to the Hello Unlock button. Can you please consider changing that back to a single tab?

• @mscrivo i think i have good news for you - just press ENTER. When there is no password entered and Windows Hello is available, ENTER goes straight to it.

• mscrivo
    mscrivo
    Community Member

That's even better! Thanks

• On behalf of the team, you're welcome!

• yelladog_superjet
    yelladog_superjet
    Community Member

Is the ability to ctrl + | into other app windows on the menu for any of the upcoming betas?

• Hi @yelladog_superjet,

Thanks for the question!

Not for the initial 1Password 7.0 release but in a future update to 1Password, yes.

Note that there is a very basic version in 1Password mini via the Type in Window menu that lets 1Password type your data in individual field in any running programs. Here's my post on how it works:

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

I have a login saved that has two "userpass" fields. One has an old/wrong password, the other is the new/right one, how do I delete the old userpass2 field?

Making it blank and hitting saved keeps it, just with the blank value ofc.

• Hi @Stanzilla,

Web form details are not editable, you can't delete the fields in there yet. It's technically supposed to be read-only data for the 1Password extension to use, not directly user-editable.

We have plans to change how this works in a future update but we don't have a timeframe on this.

For now, if it is an old Login item and you're trying to make it work on a site, you have to use the 1Password extension to manually save or update the Login item on the site's login page. To do this, enter the data onto the site's login form but do not submit, instead, click on 1Password icon to select the Settings menu > Save Login. You'd want to save it as a New Login item for now.

• Hi folks,

We've just shipped 1Password 7 Beta 6, it's a minor update but it has two big improvements:

[NEW] New attachments can now be added to standalone vaults. {OPW-1452, OPW-2049, OPW-2125}
    [FIXED] 1Password could not directly fill a single Login item after unlocking or after the initial launch of 1Password. {OPW-1697, OPW-2123}

• Keifer
    Keifer
    Community Member

@MikeT - IS THIS WHAT I THINK IT IS?!!!!!111!!!11!!1!!!

Fastest feedback > fix I've ever seen! :-D

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @Keifer,

Well, I can't be sure what you're thinking but yes, 1Password should now automatically fill exact match after unlocking now.

Give it a try and let us know.

There may be a slight delay if it is the first 1Password launch but should be faster after that.

• Keifer
    Keifer
    Community Member

Oh yeah I already tested and it’s fixed. I was just giving you a shout out of praise.

It felt really good as a customer to have that kind of feedback reviewed and acted upon so quickly.

You give me much confidence in AgileBits :-D

I have seen some inconsistent behavior with the Edge extension auto fill, but based on other forums, that may be a known issue...

• I'm glad to hear that and thanks for being helping us improve 1Password.

We'd love to know what the issue is with Edge. Are you using stable version of Windows 10? If yes, which site? If it is something like GitHub, it's a known bug in Edge and Microsoft has fixed this internally for the upcoming 1803 update.

• Bl4ckD0g
    Bl4ckD0g
    Community Member

Hi,

There is a minor UI glitch under the "Accounts" option in the top bar.
    If you swap between the top options, all rows for the options look good, but the "Accounts" one seems to have an empty row on the top of "Sign into another account". It causes an UI misalignment when bouncing between the options in there.

Thanks for the great work on this release!

One question: when will I have the option to upgrade/buy my license fow 1PW 7 for Windows?
    I already did it for Mac.

• @Bl4ckD0g: Could you possibly share a screenshot of the glitch you're referring to? I'm not seeing any trouble there myself, but it could be that I'm just not as discerning.

I can't give a good estimate on license purchases for 1Password 7 just yet, but I can say we're focusing on that process right now, alongside a few other additional features that still need some polish. Soon, we hope, but time will tell. :chuffed:

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member

Very nice update! Really loving the UI so far, thanks for finally taking Windows UI development seriously. However, currently having some issues with using 1Password 7 like I did with 1Password 4:

1. Please could you bring back the freedom to set our own keyboard shortcuts instead of pointlessly restricting us to only Ctrl + Alt keyboard shortcuts? I personally reserve those for launching apps via File Explorer, and use Alt + Shift keyboard shortcuts for already opened apps shortcuts, like I did in 1Password 4:
    1. This one is a minor one, but when we press the keyboard shortcut to show 1Password mini, at this moment, putting it in focus then clicking outside it makes the mini window disappear, which is expected. However, there are some situations where I don't see what I want in 1Password ('cause I haven't saved anything for the site), so, I don't put the focus on the 1Password mini window, and clicking outside it doesn't make it disappear. Could you make it that clicking outside the 1Password mini window (without ever initially putting it in focus) also makes it disappear?

2. Suggestion: Allow us drag and drop credentials between vaults! Right now, moving credentials between vaults requires right-clicking > Share > hover over vault > Move. Drag and drop will be much faster here.

3. Suggestion: When migrating from the old .agilekeychain vault format to the new .opvault format on Windows, give the option to convert the folders into individual vaults and move every credential in them to the new vault. That way, there wouldn't be any need to waste time re-organizing like I have to currently do since you guys abandoned folders.

This discussion has been closed.