Sort order in 1Password X

I'm enjoying using 1PX in Chrome, but it seems to use a different sort order to the old extension. I have multiple logins for some domains and I have previously been able to float my most common logins to the top by adding AA or 001 to the description. What sort order does 1PX use and can we change it if desired?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 1.6
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• Welcome to the forums, @TZESteve! I'm glad you're here. 🙂

For the most part 1Password X sorts your items alphabetically. The only exception is items you mark as favourites will be sorted to the top and then secondly sorted by name.

This should fit in perfectly with your system of prefixing your items with AA. Using numbers won't work, however, as those are sorted to the bottom of the list.

I hope that helps. Please let me know. 👋

++dave;

• TZESteve
    TZESteve
    Community Member

Ah! That makes sense.

I'll do some renaming & favouriting to get them where I like them.

Cheers Dave!

• Sweet! I'm happy that you're happy. 🙂

Take care and enjoy your weekend! 👋

++dave;

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Dave, I seem to have same problem as TZESteve, the OP. I have for example three ProtonMail accounts: a free one, a personal one and a work one. When I am using 1Password X, the drop-down that appears in the username field lists them in this order:

1. ProtonMail B: Rucksack (my work account)
    2. ProtonMail A: William Porter
    3. ProtonMail C: @protonmail (free account)

I can't make sense of that. Why does B sort before A? Are the entries sorted on the usernames rather than the descriptions?

NOTE: None of these entries is a favorite. However, ProtonMail B, the work account, is in a different vault from A and C (the personal accounts). That never seemed to matter to the older 1Password extension.

One other item, perhaps not related to sort but maybe similar. We have a 1Password for Families account. When I go to our web address to log into 1Password, the dropdown shows me only my daughter's login — not my own. I know it may be a bit weird to store 1Password logins inside 1Password but if that were somehow considered wrong, I'd expect it to show me NOTHING.

William

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@williamporter: What are the URLs you have saved for those three logins? You may be right about the vault sorting too though. It sounds like you're using the same Master Password for all of your 1Password.com accounts. Is that correct? If so, that's great, so long as you're using a long, strong, unique Master Password, and we'll be streamlining things for multiple accounts too so that's something we'll look at. Anyway, let me know what you find. :)

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

@brenty: The screen captures I shared in my previous post were for ProtonMail. The URL for login is here:

https://mail.protonmail.com/login

It's one of the few sites for which I actually have more than two accounts so I can't say with confidence whether I'm seeing similar behavior elsewhere or not.

Yes, using same master password for all accounts. And heck, yeah, it's very long, strong and unique.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@williamporter: I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but are they all using that exact same URL? I want to make sure I'm doing the same thing you are.

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

@brenty: Would never think you're being dense. Often takes time to achieve clarity.

Yes, the login page for ProtonMail is the same URL regardless of the account I am trying to reach. This is basically like all of my other accounts. For example I have multiple web accounts at a couple of banks, but I always begin at https://mybanksdomain.com regardless of which account I pick from the 1Password X dropdown choice list. Same for logging into ProtonMail or Google (where I have a slew of accounts) or Twitter (two accounts) or whatever.

The only difference for me anyway with ProtonMail is that my work account credentials are stored in a different 1Password vault from my personal account (and my also personal free @protonmail.com account). So sometimes, if I'm using regular 1Password extension (not "X") I'll see just the two personal accounts and I have to change vaults or select 'all vaults' to get my work account credentials. But that doesn't seem to be an option with 1Password X: I always see all three accounts, willy-nilly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Would never think you're being dense. Often takes time to achieve clarity.

@williamporter: Still, very generous of you. Thanks for your patience. :)

Yes, the login page for ProtonMail is the same URL regardless of the account I am trying to reach. This is basically like all of my other accounts. For example I have multiple web accounts at a couple of banks, but I always begin at https://mybanksdomain.com regardless of which account I pick from the 1Password X dropdown choice list. Same for logging into ProtonMail or Google (where I have a slew of accounts) or Twitter (two accounts) or whatever.

I understand that the URL where you login to Protonmail is generally going to be the same, but I'm wondering if https://mail.protonmail.com/login is the exact URL you have saved in your Protonmail Logins saved in 1Password.

The only difference for me anyway with ProtonMail is that my work account credentials are stored in a different 1Password vault from my personal account (and my also personal free @protonmail.com account). So sometimes, if I'm using regular 1Password extension (not "X") I'll see just the two personal accounts and I have to change vaults or select 'all vaults' to get my work account credentials. But that doesn't seem to be an option with 1Password X: I always see all three accounts, willy-nilly.

You can click the vault icon and then the settings "gear" icon to show/hide vaults from All Vaults in 1Password X:

Now, I'm not clear if we're talking about different 1Password.com accounts here, just different vaults, or some combination of these. I think that might be involved somehow.

To test this, I signed into multiple accounts in 1Password X and created four different
    https://mail.protonmail.com/login :

test B ProtonMail (in my personal account, which I signed into first in 1Password X)
    test B ProtonMail - Copy (in my personal account, different vault)

test A ProtonMail (in my secondary account)
    test A ProtonMail - Copy (in my secondary account, different vault)

In 1Password X, these are listed in alphabetical order for me, regardless of the account/vault:

test A ProtonMail
    test A ProtonMail - Copy
    test B ProtonMail
    test B ProtonMail - Copy

So I'm wondering what's different in your case.

This discussion has been closed.