To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Is data encrypted directly with the Master Unlock Key in 1Password.com for Individuals?

flamingo5
flamingo5
Community Member

I've been trying out 1Password for a weeks now, and I was reading your security whitepaper and it stated that changing the Master Password only changed the Master Unlock Key and not the Personal Keyset, which is used to encrypt the vault data. Since the Personal Keyset consists of a Private and Public key for vault sharing, and vault sharing is not available with 1Password.com for Individuals, is the Personal Keyset still used or is data encrypted directly with the Master Unlock Key? What about with other sync methods such as Dropbox and iCloud?

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flamingo5: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion there! All of this literally works exactly the same with an individual account as it does with a family or team, etc. The only difference is that there's no one else there with you when you have an individual account. If it helps, think of it like a family of one, because that's exactly what it is: all of the structures are in place (recovery, sharing, etc.) for a family/team because 1) it would have been a lot of work to try to build something brand new just for individuals, but also 2) this allows you to easily invite people to transition to a family/team.

Keep in mind this is different from local vaults though, as 1Password.com accounts use both the Master Password and Secret Key to encrypt the data, while local vaults use only a Master Password. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• flamingo5
    flamingo5
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the help! That really clarifies things for me. I’ve been loving 1Password so far!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Glad to help. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.