Revisit: 1Password and Boxcryptor

laugher
laugher
Community Member

I was wondering...has Agilebits come to revise their position with regards to Boxcryptor? This spans all platforms. i.e. Windows, Mac OS, Android and iOS connected to 1Password vault hosted on Dropbox (my environment).

I see there is even a page dedicated to Boxcryptor by Agilebits.

I see from previous posts, lots of discussion about not needing another layer of encryption to cloud storage. Can someone from Agilebits advise if the support position for it has changed or not?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: All
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

I see there is even a page dedicated to Boxcryptor by Agilebits.

This just means that the Boxcrypter app is one of the many apps that have implemented support for the 1Password iOS App Extension. I don't think it's an endorsement of the product as such.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@laugher: 1Password is designed to be secure on its own. We don't want to require secondary security measures that make the user experience worse or make it easier for people to get themselves locked out of their data, even temporarily.

That said, while we don't endorse Boxcryptor, I know I'm not alone in using it here at AgileBits — just not for 1Password. For me it's sort of like a cross-platform macOS disk image. Besides, it would suck for me to not be able to access my 1Password vault across all of my devices because I've also encrypted it with Boxcryptor or something. So it's also more user-friendly that 1Password doesn't depend on anything like this. Cheers! :)

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty - am also using it. Just wondering if there was some realignment. All good. Thanks for the clarification.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! The only relationship we have with Boxcryptor currently is that they happen to make a cool product, and they've also added support for the 1Password iOS extension. We're happy about both. :)

This discussion has been closed.