I can't get my master password to work on reinstalled OSX

keninsf
keninsf
Community Member

I erased-and-reinstalled OSX High Sierra on my iMac. I downloaded and reinstalled 1Password. Now my Master Password won't work on my iMac. It works on my iOS devices.

I originally had an immense amount of trouble even starting 1Password because I'd been syncing my vault via WLAN, and that option wasn't available on the unavoidable start screen after I installed it on my iMac.

I was floundering, and tried signing in as a new user with a different master password, but that got me nowhere fast.
So I quit 1Password, dragged the application to my Trash and emptied Trash.
Then I changed my sync method on my iOS devices to iCloud and synced.
Then I reinstalled 1Password on my iMac from the downloaded installer pkg.
When I invoked it again, I got the same hateful start screen, but was able to choose "iCloud" and it said it found it and synced it.
But my master password doesn't work there.
Cap lock not on.
Master password works fine on my iPad.
Help!!??

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Master password not working on reinstalled osx iMac - works on other two devices

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@keninsf: It sounds like the problem is that you do not know the Master Password for the data in iCloud. Since you weren't using this to sync your other devices already, it will be whatever data you had there however long ago the last time you used iCloud to sync 1Password, and therefore whatever Master Password you used at that time will be the only one that works. The best thing to do would be to clear the iCloud data on a device which has what you want to sync and then setup iCloud sync there and on your other devices. That way they'll all be using your current data and current Master Password. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.