Firefox extension not working, greyed out

Options
stanward
stanward
Community Member

I am moving to a new Macbook Pro and setting up the 1Password extension on Firefox. When I install it, it is greyed out. I have tried to remove it and re-install as well as re-starting Firefox. Suggestions?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Firefox 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.4 (17E199)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• stanward
    stanward
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. I have been successful installing 1Password extension on Chrome and Safari.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @stanward,

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please confirm what version of Firefox you have installed?

Thanks.

Ben

• stanward
    stanward
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox 59.0.2 (64-bit) Says it is "Firefox is up to date"

• Ben
    Options

Thanks. That is indeed the latest (stable) version. I think the next step here is going to be getting a better look ‘under the hood.’ I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/89011/firefox-extension-not-working-greyed-out
    • Your forum username: stanward

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• stanward
    stanward
    Community Member
    Options

Date: Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 6:19 PM
    Subject: Re: [#CBP-93653-469] 1Password Diagnostics Report for Stan Ward

Hello there! 👋

My human friends have received your email follow up from your conversation in the forum and they will be back with you shortly.

For your reference, your support ID is [#CBP-93653-469]. Please include this ID in the subject of any followup emails so we can keep things organized. You may also have been asked to post this ID back to your thread in our discussion forum to expedite your request.

Thanks again for reaching out to us about 1Password. We look forward to speaking with you. 🙂

Cheers!

BitBot
    Your friendly AgileBits robot

• Tully
    Tully
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @stanward – I've seen your email come in and will get back in touch with you shortly via email to continue the conversation there.

ref: CBP-93653-469

• stanward
    stanward
    Community Member
    Options

I got it sorted with a reboot. Did I really not try that before?! 😳😬

Cheers,
    Stan

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update :+1: :)

Ben

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, since this thread hasn't been closed out, I am in a similar situation as the OP, but rebooting has not fixed my Firefox extension problem.
    Firefox: 59.0.2 (64-bit)
    1PW extension: 4.7.0.90
    1PW program: Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store
    MacOS: 10.11.6

On starting Firefox, the 1PW icon 'blinks' (fading from normal dark grey to a lighter grey and back repeatedly) and then remains dark and totally unresponsive. If I use the 1PW icon from the system menu bar at the top it will invoke FF, but it will not auto-complete any logins. This started perhaps a week or more ago, possibly with a FF update, but I'm afraid I wasn't really paying attention then. I have since re-installed the 1PW extensions (even tried the beta briefly), and re-booted the entire OS several times. Nothing fixes it.

To make the problem more interesting, this is on my iMac desktop machine. I have the exact same versions of these software components on a MacBook Pro, and that has no problem with the 1PW extension in FF.

I'm stumped. Any assistance would be appreciated.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @deoldphart

Does 1Password work in any other browsers on the iMac? Do you have any extensions installed in Firefox on the iMac that are not installed on the MacBook Pro?

Ben

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Yes, the 1PW extension for Safari works perfectly well on both machines (but FF is my preferred browser).

Both FF installations (iMac and MBP) have identical compliments of extensions (five besides 1PW, AdBlock Plus, Lightbeam, First Party Isolation, Zotero Connector and Privacy Badger with identical settings).

I wish I could think of a difference between the installations, but I can't. Obviously the machines and the other software are different, but as I sit here I can click on the 1PW icon on the iMac where I am typing this and nothing happens, but if I turn to the laptop the icon brings up the 1PW mini-menu in FF just fine.

Richard (de Oldphart)

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

I must say that the 'blinking' behaviour of the 1PW icon in FF is really odd--as if it is trying to do something. On doing a fresh start in FF the icon starts blinking (dark grey to light and back to dark) and it continues for at least a couple of minutes, but it eventually stops (remaining unresponsive). I am not sure if it stops on its own or something I do in FF stops it, but as I type now it is blinking away.

BTW I also use Little Snitch on both machines and I have checked to be sure nothing is blocking 1PW connects, and all looks okay.

• Ben
    Options

Understood, thanks. The blinking is the extension (in the browser) trying to connect to 1Password and being unable to. Can you please check if this folder exists on the iMac?

~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/

If it does not, can you please create it and see if that resolves the issue? If it already exists or if it didn’t exist but creating it doesn’t resole the problem I’d like to take a closer look under the hood. Please see the instructions for creating a diagnostic report here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/425501/#Comment_425501 (replace standward’s username with your own when sending).

Thanks.

Ben

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that folder exists on the problematic machine, with the subfolder NativeMessagingHosts and and the ...1password.json file in it. It is essentially the same as that on the okay laptop. I have forwarded the diagnostic report. (Hunch: Something's broken with NativeMessaging)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @deoldphart. What support ID did you get back for the diagnostic report? I'm not seeing it in our inbox.

Ben

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

Further thought: The problematic iMac suffered a HD failure about two weeks ago and I replaced the HD and restored from a TimeMachine backup that was from about a week earlier. In the meantime 1PW was used (and possibly updated) on my synced laptop. It is possible the the problem has existed from that time. Possibly something went awry with the syncing.

• Ben
    Options

Possible. :) Did you see my question above re: your support ID?

Ben

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, nothing back from support yet. I'll post when it comes through.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018
    Options

Should’ve received it within a couple minutes. I’m guessing based on the fact that I can find it and you didn’t get an ID back that we haven’t received it. Could you please try sending again? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

ref: NJS-43612-158

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

Used a different email account and it came right back:
    support ID is [#NJS-43612-158]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@deoldphart: Great! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: NJS-43612-158

• Hawkheart
    Hawkheart
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!
    The 1Password extension icon in Firefox on my MacBook Pro is flashing. I have already updated 1Password, removed and re-installed the extension, restarted the computer, checked for the Mozilla folder in the Application Support folder, and read this whole support thread. The extension does work in Safari. System information:
    MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)
    Firefox 61.0.2 (64-bit)
    1Password 7.1.1

Thank you for any help you can provide!
    DJ

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hawkheart - try reinstalling Firefox itself. :)

• Hawkheart
    Hawkheart
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I'll be darned! I did and it worked like a charm! Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hawkheart - yep. Was almost 100% sure that would do it. You did literally everything else I'd have asked about, but we've seen this one a few times before. Something gets borked (excuse the technical language) in Firefox, and only reinstalling the browser itself will allow the 1Password extension to work properly again. Glad I was able to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.